Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:44:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might as well ask, "What is your personal meaning of house?" now that's profound.

A place where everybody knows my name.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Originally posted by dv82matt

I do not serve others to make me happy. It is a byproduct. When I made the decision to no longer serve myself first, I did not think that this in it self would cause happiness.
You're fooling yourself if you think that positive reinforcement doesn't affect why you do things.

By your statement it seems you think man nothing more than an animal that is manipulated by stimuli. I disagree with this assessment of man. We are both looking at this question from a different starting point, I am not sure you will understand what I think based on this. Although I do understand your reasoning, as I once thought the same of the human condition.

You sit down at a resturant and order a thick steak done just so, covered with fresh mushrooms sauteed with vidalia onions, a twice-baked potato, and a ration of snap beans, and you, with anticipation-spit running down your chin are trying to tell me that man is not an animal that responds to stimuli, just like any other? Pul-leese!

Doing good is nice in that it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, but would you share that steak with a down & out crackhead waiting outside? Or just give him your scraps? Or would you invite him to your table and order him a whole steak for himself?

Or would you, upon seeing the crackhead, not go into the resturant at all but head for Mickey D's up the street and eat crap to avoid him?

Don't tell me that we don't have a knee-jerk respose to stimuli; we most certainly do, every day and all day.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  14:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

By your statement it seems you think man nothing more than an animal that is manipulated by stimuli. I disagree with this assessment of man.
You sit down at a resturant and order a thick steak done just so, covered with fresh mushrooms sauteed with vidalia onions, a twice-baked potato, and a ration of snap beans, and you, with anticipation-spit running down your chin are trying to tell me that man is not an animal that responds to stimuli, just like any other? Pul-leese!
Mmmmm - sorry I just drooled on the computer, (and that was just from the words.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  17:41:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia:
I don't see why people try to keep the notion that humans are somewhat better than, or different of, the rest of Animalia. But then, I don't see anything wrong with being an animal, so maybe I'm the weird one.

Right. And that is why surviving long enough to procreate is ultimately the only thing that actually matters, meaning wise, if we must ponder such things. We do it for the species. Everything else is just window dressing. Now, I am very fond of the window dressing because I get to enjoy this song, among other things:

The Galaxy Song

By Eric Idle and Jon Du Prez

Whenever life gets you down, Mrs. Brown,
And things seem hard or tough,
And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,
And you feel that you've had quite eno-o-o-o-o-ough...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour,
That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned,
A sun that is the source of all our power.
The sun and you and me and all the stars that we can see
Are moving at a million miles a day
In an outer spiral arm, at forty thousand miles an hour,
Of the galaxy we call the "Milky Way".

Our galaxy itself contains a hundred billion stars.
It's a hundred thousand light years side to side.
It bulges in the middle, sixteen thousand light years thick,
But out by us, it's just three thousand light years wide.
We're thirty thousand light years from galactic central point.
We go 'round every two hundred million years,
And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions
In this amazing and expanding universe.

(Animated calliope interlude)

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding
In all of the directions it can whizz
As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know,
Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.
So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth.

It's nice that we are sentient creatures. But the bottom line is the same for us as it is for all other creatures that we share this rock with.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:19:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy, the point is man can contemplate the choice and make a choice presented by the stimuli. Man is more than a reaction to stimuli. That is the difference in thought about man that we have.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy, the point is man can contemplate the choice and make a choice presented by the stimuli. Man is more than a reaction to stimuli. That is the difference in thought about man that we have.
Do you believe man is alone with this capability?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:27:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

We do it for the species.
Actually, we do it for our own lineages. If helping out others in our species helps ourselves, that's nice, but evolution knows little of schemes grander than comingling germ cells. We, as human beings, have a foresight that evolution does not, and so we can execute cost/benefit analyses on actions that help ourselves by helping the species. Or even, as is discussed often these days, helping ourselves by maintaining the whole damn ecosystem.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:27:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia, man is different than other animals because man can contemplate, measure, and relay information from many past generations outside of the genetic code. This is not necessarily "better" only different. It is said that ignorance is bliss. I have contemplated the fact that animals being ignorant may be better, as they do not contemplate.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dv82matt said:
On the main topic of the thread "meaning of life" questions are a pet peeve of mine because they are so poorly worded as to be essentially meaningless.

The question is meant to cause one to think; it is intentionally vague so as to allow introspection and thoughtful talk.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:33:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Might as well ask, "What is your personal meaning of house?" now that's profound.

A place where everybody knows my name.

CHEERS!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:37:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Do you believe man is alone with this capability?

Yes, only man can contemplate.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  18:37:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave:
Actually, we do it for our own lineages.

Yeah… huh…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  19:13:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Because if you do it for the "sake of doing good" you find yourself reverting back to the childish attitudes of selfishness. There needs to be a reason outside of the self.
I'd ask you to substantial this assertion with more than just your opinion, but your history here has shown that you will not and more likely can not.

Where have I used the bible as a source. I think only once,
I derive my moral code from the Ten Commandments. And that was just the first that I found. But then you blabbered something about not in a religious sense but looking to the actual meaning of the words. You couldn't support this nor did you know anything about evolution.

and that was used to show that man made religion has been a problem for a long time; the book was written a long time ago, it would be a valid source for this question.
I suspect that all religions are man made. Your interpretation of the bible is just another. Though, I still contend that you are risking eternal damnation.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  19:33:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man differs from other animals only in sapience. It has yet to be shown that sapience has any long-term, species survival value. And reading history, and observing current events, I strongly suspect that it has none.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  19:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Man differs from other animals only in sapience. It has yet to be shown that sapience has any long-term, species survival value. And reading history, and observing current events, I strongly suspect that it has none.

Mans population has increased dramatically over time. So far it is fact that this sapience has "long-term, species survival value".

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.