Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  13:40:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by JEROME DA GNOME

Dave, we must compare man with and without sapience. I contend that man without would probably not exist any longer.
Upon what evidence would you make such a contention, seeing that chimps still exist after the same amount of time?
Man without sapience would be an inferior species on most scales in comparison to most other species.
Inferior in what way? There is no objective "best" species. Man can't breathe underwater, making us inferior to every fish. We can't fly, making us inferior to birds. We get crushed by elephants, and outrun by cheetahs. Hurricanes regularly kill us, we tend to not regrow lost body parts, and fires don't help our seeds germinate. On most scales, we are inferior to some other species already.

I suspect I know what your objection will be, but does tool use require sapience?
Nope.

What I'd like to know is by what criteria a species is labled as "inferior?" And in response, I'll put forth the noble cockroach, who was here long before we, and will doubtless bid us a tearful farwell as we, one of it's best meal tickets, shuffle off into extinction. The cockroach, now that is an ongoing, evoultionary success story.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  14:06:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave said:
Upon what evidence would you make such a contention, seeing that chimps still exist after the same amount of time?

Chimps are superior to non sapient man as far as physical attributes are concerned.

The totality of a creature determines its relative success in the game of continuing its species. If you take away the birds wings, or the fishes ability to pull oxygen from water, they become vastly inferior to species that do not lose a major trait. This is the same with mans sapience.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  14:14:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy asked:
What I'd like to know is by what criteria a species is labled as "inferior?"

I am speaking of a comparison to itself with and without a particular major trait.

Now, I will take this incomplete creature (i.e bird without wings, man without sapients) and compare it in the context of competition in the environment.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:06:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps we are just full of ourselves.

Interestingly, the word “sapience” was coined to show that we are in fact separate from the rest of the animale kingdom and a product of special creation.

See: Sapience

And then there is this from the same article:

While precise definitions of sapience vary, it is agreed that most humans (unless intellectually incapacitated) possess some measure of it. However, psychological research aimed at defining and measuring wisdom suggests that the capacity for good judgment varies widely in form and strength. It is an open question if humans are, as a species, particularly sapient in terms of making wise, long-term, maximum benefit for the maximum number decisions. It is also open to question if numerous other animals have some kind of sapience, even if in lower levels.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:10:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Filthy asked:

I am speaking of a comparison to itself with and without a particular major trait.

Now, I will take this incomplete creature (i.e bird without wings, man without sapients) and compare it in the context of competition in the environment.

Huh? Bird without wings? What bird and what man without sapience? What the hell are you talkng about?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:22:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Filthy asked:

Huh? Bird without wings? What bird and what man without sapience? What the hell are you talkng about?

This discussion evolved from your quote here:

Man differs from other animals only in sapience. It has yet to be shown that sapience has any long-term, species survival value. And reading history, and observing current events, I strongly suspect that it has none.

Than a discussion on the relative superiority of species in different contexts.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  15:26:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Perhaps we are just full of ourselves.

Interestingly, the word “sapience” was coined to show that we are in fact separate from the rest of the animale kingdom and a product of special creation.

See: Sapience

And then there is this from the same article:

While precise definitions of sapience vary, it is agreed that most humans (unless intellectually incapacitated) possess some measure of it. However, psychological research aimed at defining and measuring wisdom suggests that the capacity for good judgment varies widely in form and strength. It is an open question if humans are, as a species, particularly sapient in terms of making wise, long-term, maximum benefit for the maximum number decisions. It is also open to question if numerous other animals have some kind of sapience, even if in lower levels.

How would you define this trait: contemplation and choice based on stimuli as opposed to only reaction to stimuli?

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  17:07:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jerome:
How would you define this trait: contemplation and choice based on stimuli as opposed to only reaction to stimuli?

I'm not going to bother to define it. For all we know dolphins are way more contemplative than we are. We know other animals use, and more importantly make tools. Some of them are fairly sophisticated. We know that we are clever, possibly the most clever animal, but how wise are we?

Sapience is too nebulous a term for me to deal with. At one time we believed humans had special traits, like tool use, that made us unique, only to find other toolmakers and users who were not us. Our kind of language may be unique to us, but we are by no means the only animal that communicates with its own kind. In fact, there are a lot of traits that we once believed were unique to us only to learn that some other animals have those traits too.

For some reason I am reminded of a line from the movie “Paper Moon.” To paraphrase:

“ I don't know what it is, but if we have it, it can't be good.”

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.