Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  04:52:10  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great googley moogley! Another one!
Here we go, after months of doubt over claims of a magnetic machine promising "infinite clean energy," Steorn will be putting their wares on display for public scrutiny in London. A physics defying perpetual machine, if you will. Starting tomorrow, rumor has it that the Kinetica museum will host the Orbo device for a ten day long public demonstration of the technology. We're expecting a formal announcement at 6pm 11pm London (1pm 6pm New York). iPhone shmiPhone, this is going to be good.

Good indeed! And doubtless a good investement -- for the "inventors."

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/05/2007 07:13:58

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  06:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is already so much fun!

Kinetica, where the Orbo is (not quite yet) being demonstrated, is an art museum! Quite proper: Humbuggery is, after all, an art, not a science.

Besides, I'm sure Steorn doesn't want scientists or engineers to have access to checking the device out carefully, as they'd doubtless insist upon if it was being displayed in a technological museum. (Its secrets might be stolen!)

I get the impression that maybe at least some of the Steorn people really believe this thing works, though that impression is merely based upon a hunch.

It's hilarious that it failed to operate under bright lights. Maybe it needs to be demonstrated in total darkness.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  07:13:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

This is already so much fun!

Kinetica, where the Orbo is (not quite yet) being demonstrated, is an art museum! Quite proper: Humbuggery is, after all, an art, not a science.

Besides, I'm sure Steorn doesn't want scientists or engineers to have access to checking the device out carefully, as they'd doubtless insist upon if it was being displayed in a technological museum. (Its secrets might be stolen!)

I get the impression that maybe at least some of the Steorn people really believe this thing works, though that impression is merely based upon a hunch.

It's hilarious that it failed to operate under bright lights. Maybe it needs to be demonstrated in total darkness.

Indeed. It's rather like a night of pub-crawling: you wake up the next morning wondering who the dissolute-looking and not very sanitary woman next to you is, and worrying about what are politely refered to as "social diseases." But damn, she looked pretty good the night before, in the dank and alcohol-fogged gloom, didn't she?

Thus it is with all of these something-for-nothing machines. In the dark, they are a free lunch; comes the light, you find that you are eating shit.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  08:55:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap (or at least self-righteous crap):
Steorn's findings totally undermine the basic premise of materialism, simply by demonstrating a confirmed physical effect that materialists predict cannot happen. These clever Irish researchers have demonstrated that the principles of thermodynamics function in a manner far closer to the predictions of William Dembski and William Brookfield than the clearly flawed thermodynamic claims of Hawkings and Maxwell.
(Hattip to stevestory of AtBC.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  10:57:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Steorn's findings totally undermine the basic premise of materialism, simply by demonstrating a confirmed physical effect that materialists predict cannot happen. These clever Irish researchers have demonstrated that the principles of thermodynamics function in a manner far closer to the predictions of William Dembski and William Brookfield than the clearly flawed thermodynamic claims of Hawkings and Maxwell.
This is a delight beyond measure, Dave!

I hope all the IDiots in their sinking ship of fools will quickly grab the Orbo as a life-presever. Quickly, ladies and gentlemen, embrace this marvel! It only looks like an anchor, but it will save you!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  11:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crap this is really funny. Did you see the comment on the article?
Great article; This is perhaps the best physical evidence I have ever seen against the absurd assumptions of materialism. The materialists are utterly convinced that "free energy" is impossible, but they have totally ignored well documented evidence of miracles (e.g. walking on water, reviving the dead).

I completely forgot about raising the dead and converting water into wine! Well there's your proof.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:02:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is Steorn's explanation for the delay in the London demonstration of the Orbo (I wasn't making that up about the bright lights):
We are experiencing some technical difficulties with the demo unit in London. Our initial assessment indicates that this is probably due to the intense heat from the camera lighting. We have commenced a technical assessment and will provide an update later today. As a consequence, Kinetica will not be open to the public today (5th July). We apologise for this delay and appreciate your patience.
Indeed. this seems reasonable; "technical difficulties" always seem to go hand-in-hand with perpetual motion machines. And with ID scientific research.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/05/2007 12:03:45
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by furshur

I completely forgot about raising the dead and converting water into wine! Well there's your proof.
Except that ID has nothing whatsoever to do with religion.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great article; This is perhaps the best physical evidence I have ever seen against the absurd assumptions of materialism. The materialists are utterly convinced that "free energy" is impossible, but they have totally ignored well documented evidence of miracles (e.g. walking on water, reviving the dead).

And this from the same comment:
It's hardly surprising that the dogmatic neo-darwinist nay-sayers are often the same people who deny that Steorn's perpetual motion machine is possible WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT!
Now, if someone claimed they'd captured an alien UFO and had it in their garage, I would think the probability of it being real is likely less than one in a billion. I would demand scientific confirmation, but I would also expect scientists might want to take a gander at the contraption. Same goes for a claim of proof of God's existence, or that they were holding an angel hostage.

But a device that violates conservation of mass and energy? Zero chance! That, you can take to the bank. There is no need to look at it (though innate humor and curiosity will make me look). It's hilarious that the Cretinists are embracing this fraud, "WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT!" And these are the same Bozos who love to bring up Piltdown every chance they get.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/05/2007 12:29:22
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  13:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Now if only we can convert it back to water, we might be able to use the difference in specific heat to make a perpetual motion machine. I know! Use a Christ to turn water into wine, and use an Anti-Christ to turn wine into water.

But a device that violates conservation of mass and energy? Zero chance! That, you can take to the bank. There is no need to look at it (though innate humor and curiosity will make me look). It's hilarious that the Cretinists are embracing this fraud, "WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT!" And these are the same Bozos who love to bring up Piltdown every chance they get.

I wouldn't quite say that. Scientific principles, however sturdy they seem, have the possibility of not being correct. Now of course, I ain't gonna go investigate every perpetual motion machine I hear of, and I'll probably conclude that they all don't work even without looking at them. But I always keep in mind that I do have the possibility to be wrong.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/05/2007 14:00:44
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  14:51:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Overwhelmingevidence strikes again. The place is a stupiditymine.
How about this one:
Evolutionist doctors believe that antibiotic resistance is a bad thing because in their world-view, the thing they fear the most is a strain of bacteria which is reistant to multiple forms of antibiotic; however what they have failed to comprehend is that such a bacterial strain would have been so weakened by evolution as to become hardly a danger to mankind.

The funniest thing about this is that is was written under the heading "Practical medical advances from ID".

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  19:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take this as a good sign, Hawks. It seems to me that ID is in its... last throws.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/05/2007 19:01:47
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  23:06:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And this from the same comment:
It's hardly surprising that the dogmatic neo-darwinist nay-sayers are often the same people who deny that Steorn's perpetual motion machine is possible WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT!
Now, if someone claimed they'd captured an alien UFO and had it in their garage, I would think the probability of it being real is likely less than one in a billion. I would demand scientific confirmation, but I would also expect scientists might want to take a gander at the contraption. Same goes for a claim of proof of God's existence, or that they were holding an angel hostage.

Is it too much to hope for that the Discovery Institute, AIG etc will be so enamoured with this free energy boondogle that they will invest heavily in it and lose their shirts? I would love to see the IDers who are appluading this blarney put their money where their mouths are.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Edited by - Ghost_Skeptic on 07/05/2007 23:08:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:10:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FLASH!: The demonstration of the Orbo has begun in London! You can watch it from any of four live cameras.

To be honest, I see no cheating whatesoever, and no any way cheating could be done. The Orbo being demonstrated is literally transparent, so that people can see there are no hidden power wires.

Yup, an honest demonstration indeed.

Showing the Orbo not moving.

Update: All four cameras are now turned off. Well, the show wasn't all that exciting, anyway.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 07/06/2007 06:32:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to The Amazing One's take on it. He'll likely mention it next week.

Unless these turkeys have managed to come up with new laws of physics, the results of their demonstration are entirely predictable: nothing, and should there be something, it'll be fraudulent.
To be honest, I see no cheating whatesoever, and no any way cheating could be done. The Orbo being demonstrated is literally transparent, so that people can see there are no hidden power wires.
And that, friend 'Mooner, is the first, tentitive sign of a flim-flam, especally if it concerns the fantastic. The all-important appearence of innocence.

I gotta sawbuck sez it's a bust. Anybody want it?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  06:47:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw, shucks! The Orbo demo has now been officially canceled!:
Holy snakeoil Batman, The Steorn Orbo exhibition has been canceled. According to a press release by Steorn CEO (and lead shyster) Sean McCarthy, the company "will explore alternative dates for the public demonstration." Yeah, right. If the heat from the lights was really an issue for the on-site built device, why didn't they: 1) turn off the lights, or 2) fly in the so-called working "free energy" device from Dublin? After all, they still have 9 days left to exhibit. Lame.

[Thanks, Marc O. and Arthur D.]
At least I briefly got to see it live with my own eyes this morning, inaction.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.