Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2007 :  00:24:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's right, they're physically moving. Across town, from the sound of it.

As a result, the SFN will be unavailable for several hours on Saturday night (July 7th, central time).

We apologize for the inconvenience.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:17:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like we just lost several days worth of postings.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:20:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I knew and was in communication with our host regarding the SFN unavailability (read: site was down) and they indicated there was a database issue. However, they said they caught the issue BEFORE it did any damage. The fact appears to be that the database server failed. Hang tight. Perhaps they can restore the data.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:27:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope so; there's some pretty good wheat amongst the chaff....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  11:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean the stuff I write on the internet isn't guaranteed to last for eternity and be endlessly marveled over by future generations? I feel so disillusioned.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  13:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's just hope that @tomic will be able to splice the old and the new database together. As it is now, I believe every new post we write is getting the same post-ID number as one post or another already got yesterday. This could pose a problem.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  13:34:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that what we see today on SFN is a restore from a backup. This means that recovering data since then is almost certainly impossible. We don't have the resources to guarantee there's no loss of data, ever. That would require a tremendous effort and a lot of money.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  14:04:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

I'm pretty sure that what we see today on SFN is a restore from a backup.
Well, there was a lot more here at 1:30 AM (Eastern). Six more pages of the abiogenesis thread, for example. So our Web host didn't do a backup between then and the crash, but perhaps did one Saturday night before moving the servers.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  14:12:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How difficult would it be to write a program that splices two databases together?

That reads the post number from both databases, compare them and if they are the same, feeds them into a copy of the oldest backup. If a post ID has contents that differ from eachother, then treat them as separate posts, and enter them into the database sorted after date?
Perhaps that isn't complex enough? Sort all posts after date into an un-numbered list and re-enter them into the database while giving them an entirely new post ID number?
The thread identity that a post belong to will not have to change. Same should be true for other table items.

Edited to add:
Never mind me, I'm just rambling. I can't stop my brain from entering trouble-shooting mode.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/09/2007 14:13:34
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  14:23:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dr. Mabuse:

The space that would take is huge. It would push up into a much more expensive plan. I think this is most likely an unusual set of circumstances. Something may have occurred with backups during the move causing us to miss a day. I just don't think this is likely to happen again. Perhaps they are merging databases as we discuss it. But it would have to be their own replication and we're unaware of it.

@

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:03:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, this is like the Twilight Zone. Pages that were here this morning are just vanished... Huh...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never mind my question in a previous thred... I found the answer.....

[bitch-bitch]Sad... I actually made more then a few posts today.... [whine-whine]:([/whine-whine] Figures, it had to do it when I had the time.....[/bitch-bitch]

Edited by - Original_Intent on 07/09/2007 16:14:11
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How big is the database? I may be able to spare space and bandwidth for some for some offsite backups....
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:30:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's approaching 350 mb

@

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:58:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out: Within the administration tools I am able to access the FTP accounts for sites other than mine! That's right, I could alter web pages and do all manor of mischief. Instead I emailed our host to let them know.

@

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  16:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what's the current feeling?

Do we just post as normal, and live with the loss, or are new posts likely to go missing again if the intermediate stuff is restored?

(Edited to add)We have had a new post from Tor though, so whatever happens, the powers that be should to their best to ensure that this piece of critical knowledge isn't lost.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 07/09/2007 17:09:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.