Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  17:46:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty bad when "Active Topics" shows the same four threads for "Last Two Days" as it does for "Last Four Hours."

John, I would suggest living with the loss and going on as if it weren't going to happen again.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  17:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, per my searches, everything between 07/07/2007 at 05:25:15 and 07/09/2007 at 11:17:00 was lost (server times, Central). That's two days, five hours, 51 minutes and 45 seconds.

I suspect that the site was completely unavailable for at least the last five hours of that stretch of time, but still it seems like a lot. I was under the impression that daily backups are pretty much the norm. In other words, I would have thought that there'd have been another backup at 05:25:15 on July 8th.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  19:09:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A note to our members:

Just so's ya know, we have been online for a very long time, world wide web wise, and nothing like this has ever happened to us before. Loosing posts is not a regular thing at SFN. And this server has been by far the most reliable that we have had.

I guess we'll all have to chalk it up to “shit happens” and just carry on.

Thanks!

Kil

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  19:13:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone who wants to know the real truth behind this can read about it here:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8226

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  19:14:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, keep in mind that part of the 2 days was offline time, meaning there were no posts at all.

As far as I know, there is no backup to restore from so what you see is what we have. But we are talking about something like one day's lost posts and a Sunday in July fortunately.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  19:35:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

But we are talking about something like one day's lost posts and a Sunday in July fortunately.
Two days, but...

Over the previous four weekends, we'd seen between 690 and 860 visitors per day.

On the 7th (log snagged before the crash), we had 595 visitors.

On the 8th (log grabbed just minutes ago), we had 521 visitors.

Our average over the last 31 days (including those two) has been 789, so this past weekend represented a serious slump in readership.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  20:46:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why they moved the servers during this time period. History has shown it to be a very slow time in terms of web traffic. Google used this time to slide some changes through as well.

@

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  20:53:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we hardly have a trend going here. Yes, in 2006 there was a slump during the week that included July 4th, but in 2005, we had 120 more visitors during the week starting July 2nd than we had the week before, and the week after we had another 79. 2005 was a very upwardly-trending Summer for us, without many large slumps.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  22:47:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not just us. CrystalTech is certainly looking at traffic for all its domains. They have been tracking the data a long, long time.

@

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2007 :  16:58:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by @tomic

It's not just us...

Damn straight!

Officials confirm that all online data has been lost after the Internet crashed and was forced to restart.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.