Skeptic Events Dragon*Con 2007
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  14:55:02  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the 2007 Skeptic Track Schedule for Dragon*Con 2007

SCIENCE001;Skeptics and Skepticism 101
Meet some of the heavy hitters in the Skeptical Community as they discuss the different types of logical fallacies, how to spot them and why people believe them.;60 minutes;;Dr. Shermer, Derek Colanduno, Swoopy, Benjamin Radford, Jeff Wagg;08/31/07 01:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE002;Cold Reading and the Skeptics Toolbox
How to Fake Psychic Powers for Fun, not Profit;One of the best ways to debunk a fraud is by learning their tricks. This workshop will cover the tools skeptics use to explain and disprove pseudoscience claims.;60 minutes;;Dr. Shermer, Swoopy, Ben Radford, Jeff Wagg;08/31/07 02:30pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE006;The JREF Million Dollar Challenge
Info on the million dollar challenge, it's impact, the good it does, some problems associated with it, and why no one has won it.;60 minutes;;Jeff Wagg;08/31/07 08:30pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE007;Bigfoot, Monsters, and Mermaids
A History of Fabulous Hoaxes;A slideshow and talk covering famous and fabulous cryptozoological hoaxes throughout history.;60 minutes;;Ben Radford;08/31/07 10:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE008;Is it a Ghost?
A Skeptic Reviews Paranormal Footage;Compelling footage from an Australian Ghost-hunting group leaves Skeptical Analysis of the Paranormal Society mystified and brings up questions about the nature of skepticism, as well as the power of belief.;60 minutes;;Alison Smith;09/01/07 10:00am;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE009;Science, Skepticism and Sleight-of-Hand
Natural phenomena don't try to fool you, but people do. The study of psi phenomena benefits greatly from the assistance of competent magicians, as demonstrations will show. Can you spot the subterfuge, or will you be fooled too?;60 minutes;;Jeff Wagg;09/01/07 11:30am;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE010;Mythbusters Team
Tory, Kari and Grant return to Dragon*Con with more tales of mayhem.;60 minutes;;Tory Belleci, Kari Byron, Grant Imahara;09/01/07 01:00pm;Regency 6-7 (Hyatt)

SCIENCE012;Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow
Members of the professional association for the working Evil Genius discuss various methods of taking over the world for fun and profit, avoiding common mistakes and the design of secret lairs. New applicants should bring a resume or a project to demo.;60 minutes;;Richard Altstatt, Steven Howe, Dr. DNA and Michael Laine;09/01/07 4:00pm;Regency 5 (Hyatt)

SCIENCE013;Smackdown! Skeptics vs True Believers
This is the Skeptics/X-Track debate. Moderator: Mike Stackpole Skeptics: Dr. Micheal Shermer, Ben Radford and/or Alison Smith X-Track: Patrick Burns and TBA;60 minutes;09/01/07 05:30pm;Hanover CDE (Hyatt)

SCIENCE014;Reflections on a Decade of Paranormal Investigation
Discussing ten years of paranormal investigations, including the nature of the paranormal, case studies of Bigfoot, crop circles, dowsing, etc.;60 minutes;;Ben Radford;09/01/07 07:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE018;Geological Hoaxes and Frauds
How geologists know the world is not 6000 years old, among other things. This may be a musical, which would be interesting.;60 minutes;;George Hrab;09/02/07 11:30am;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE019;Weird and Unusual Scientific Studies
Studies of learning in headless cockroaches, MRI imaging of sexual intercourse, and the link between country music and suicide rates. Inspired by the IgNobel Prizes and the Annals of Improbable Research.;60 minutes;;
Jason Schneiderman and one or two others guest scientists/skeptics tba
09/02/07 01:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE021;How to Investigate a Haunted House
Two case studies of how a scientific paranormal investigator goes about investigating a haunting, including the Santa Fe courthouse "ghost" video solved mid-June 2007.;60 minutes;;Ben Radford;09/02/07 04:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE022;The Assault on Science
Why is the US slipping in international rankings for science and engineering? There are a lot of culprits - political, religious, legal, educational and economic just to name a few. So what's the fix?;60 minutes;;Jason Schneiderman, Dr. C. Kevin Barrett, James P. Kinney III;09/02/07 05:30pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE023;Reflections on a Decade of Paranormal Investigation
Discussing ten years of paranormal investigations, including the nature of the paranormal, case studies of Bigfoot, crop circles, dowsing, etc.;60 minutes;;Ben Radford;09/02/07 07:00pm;Henry (Hilton)

SCIENCE029;Transhumanism: Xerox People
What will happen when you can copy your brain? If you original body dies in an accident, would a "restored you" really be a "you?" Why or why not? What if you restore a physical copy of yourself before you die? What is the potential for abuse?;60 minutes;;
09/03/07 02:30pm;Henry (Hilton)

ADDITIONS

POD006;Geologic LIVE!
George Hrab comes to Dragon*Con to do his amazing skeptical/science/entertainment podcast LIVE for everyone to see!;60 minutes;; 8/31/07 7:00 PM;Jackson/Carter (Hilton)

POD012;Astronomy Cast LIVE!
The premere Space and Science Podcast comes LIVE to Dragon*Con. With special guest hosts Derek and Swoopy!;60 minutes;; 09/01/07 04:00pm;Jackson/Carter (Hilton)

POD024;PodSci
Panel about Science Podcasts, the leaders speak about how to present and be aware of the public perception of Science podcasting on the internet.
08:30pm;Jackson/Carter (Hilton)

Also, once I get the time/location for Dr. Shermer's lecture it will be in there as well! :D

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/

Edited by - skepticality on 07/27/2007 09:15:34

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  17:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great. Wish I could go...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  17:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Sounds great. Wish I could go...

I will! I will!!!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2007 :  22:14:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
I will! I will!!!
Does that mean you've met your goal? Or that you're going to go anyway and worry about the bills later? Either way, Mab, I hope you go and enjoy yourself. You certainly deserve it.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

skepticality
Skeptic Friend

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:16:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit skepticality's Homepage Send skepticality a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just can't wait to finally meet the Dr! He's helped us at Skepticality during some of our worst times! :)

Derek Colanduno
host - skepticality
http://www.skepticality.com/
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  09:56:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Info on the million dollar challenge, it's impact, the good it does, some problems associated with it, and why no one has won it.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2007 :  12:51:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're half-way to the goal I was aiming for, but if I clear out an in-case-of-emergency account I'll have enough to go.
So I'm doing it. This feels like an once-in-a-lifetime, and I don't want to miss it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.