Heh, does this come as a suprise?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  02:57:20  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I certainly hope not, at least not to anyone here. It would show a marked lack of critical thought and make a mockery of skeptisim in general.

But y'recall that last bottle of pure spring water, the clear plastic one with the pretty lable showing a Swiss mountain scene, that you bought a while back? Well....

It's aqua, but is it fina? Pepsi's bottled water same as tap
By VINNEE TONG

The Associated Press

PepsiCo's Aquafina and Coca-Cola's Dasani are under pressure to make the bottled-water labels more clear.

NEW YORK — So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the same place as the water in your tap.

PepsiCo is the latest company to offer some clarity about the source of its top-selling bottled water as it announced on Friday it would change the label on Aquafina water bottles to spell out that the drink comes from the same source as tap water.
Suspicions confirmed, eh?

I really don't have anything against peddling bottled water. Indeed, the stuff is handy if you're out fishing or cycling or doing some other such. But I don't think that it's at all unreasonable to tell the customer exactly where the water came from.

We all know that 'honesty in advertising' is something of a conflicting phrase. Advertising, by it's very nature, is composed of exaggerations, minor and major, that all too easily funnel into misleading statements, and from there into outright lies. And, while I have no statistics at hand to support it, it seems to me that the ads put forth by major corporations are the worst offenders -- you note, no doubt, that I've left political ads, the very worst offenders, out of this.

Snake oil selling is alive and well, and hiding under the shabby invisibility cloak of corporate respectability. Every now & again the cloak slips a bit, to the benefit of a shocked public -- Wow! Who'da thunk it?! -- and after a too brief period of contrition, they go right back at it.

Ah well, there is, after all, one born every minute and "a sucker has no business with money," as the immortal Canada Bill Jones stated on many an occasion.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  03:33:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's more interesting, is that people think it should be something other than tap water. Tap water is specially prepared for drinking. Some tap waters taste better than other tap waters to some people. Putting it in bottles, as you said, makes it handy. Dasani filters and then adds stuff to tap water to make it tastier to some people. I didn't realize this was a secret to anyone.

I think W.C. Fields had the right reasons for not drinking any kind of water. It rusts pipes, and fish do disgusting things in it.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  04:03:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks better advertised this way:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  06:15:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then there is this serious attack on Coke's Dasani water, motivated by allegations that Coca Cola has used paramilitary thugs to murder union organizers in its Columbian plants:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  07:26:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NEW YORK — So you thought that water in your Aquafina bottle came from some far-away spring bubbling deep in a glen?

Try the same place as the water in your tap.

Actually, the water in a dasani and aquafina bottle is the water that coke/pepsi use to make coke and pepsi.

The original source is tap water, but it is not actually tap water. It is water run through a reverse osmosis machine. The aquafina bottle (i'm looking at one now) clearly says "purified drinking water" on the front of the label. Dasani says "purified water" right on the front also.

Aside from costing as much as a bottle of coke or pepsi, I don't see what the issue is here. These products have never attempted to disguise themselves as "spring water".

Hell, the reason I buy them instead of "spring water" is because they are from a reverse osmosis system. Its a much better way to get pure water, with most of the particulates and metals removed, than "spring" water.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  07:35:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone knows you can hear satanic messages by playing rock and roll songs backwards. But did you know you can find out much about your favorite bottled water by spelling its name backwards? Take for example Evian, which spelled backwards is "naive". Dasani spelled backwards sounds like "in acid". And Pure Life?... "eh, fill 'er up"! This secret information has never been announced to the general public, which of course proves that it is a conspiracy perpetrated by industry insiders.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  11:39:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, you know it & I know it, & 'most everyone else on these hallowed boards knows it, but many elsewhere do not nor do they bother to read the label.

The problem is not so much with coke and the other one, who content themselves with poisoning the populace with sweetened bellywash, but with imitators who might not be so upright and (heh) forthcoming.

But the actual point of the OP is corporate advertising and how facts get, let us say: moved around a bit. You've seen it ad nauseum in your field of expertise. How many drugs and treatments have turned out to be anything but what they are touted to be. Seems like every month or so one pharmaceutical company or another is recalling some drug or other. Remember thalidomide, if I've spelled that right? What a disaster that was! And automotive recalls are so common it's gotten hum-drum. But all of these things were/are put forth as the best things ever to come down the pike on a Sunday, and you should go out and buy them right away!

It is somewhat amusing/disheartening to see a drug commercial on the toob. First, some fellow in a lab smock tells us how great it is, then they list the possible side effects and encourage you to consult your doctor before having anything to do with it. Keeps the lawsuits to a minimum, I guess.

I think that the bottled water made by coke and the other one could use their method of manufacture to their advertising advantage. As for the rest, well, we can only hope that they seine out the hellgramites and other livestock before they bottle it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.