Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:46:53  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm curious, what do you guys thing about Ohio's newly proposed green license plates for convicted sex offenders? http://www.recordpub.com/news/article/2261771

I love how this article just utterly dismisses the fact that this would include people convicted of statutory rape, such as a 18 year old who has consensual sex with a 15 year old:
While a few of the registered offenders in Portage County were found guilty of minor offenses, such as statutory rape, the majority are listed as violent offenders and child-predators.
Don't worry folks - only a few innocent people will be screwed over by this, so it's okay! Not to mention other people in the households of ex-cons who might also be forced to drive cars with these plates, if the family only has one car.

And I love this quote from a senator:
"If we are able to stop one kid from accepting a ride, or if we can spot and stop just one offender who is casing a school ground, then this will be a success."
Yeah, 'cause a kid immature enough to get into a stranger's car is going to stop and check out the license plate color, or even know about this law. Even more so, I'm sure a child predator stalking his prey is going to do so while driving said car!

I gotta agree with the critics. Political stunt that does nothing to actually solve the problem, and creates new problems for people who don't deserve this kind of treatment.

The person who made this graphic has a pretty clear stance on the issue:

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/03/2007 21:48:33

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  21:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why should it only apply to sex offenders who drive? If they had to wear green hats, or badges, then our children could be on their guard at all times.

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 08/03/2007 22:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2007 :  22:10:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why should it only apply to sex offenders who drive? If they had to wear green hads, or badges, then our children could be on their guard at all times.

Green isn't really the "in" color now anyways.

The only thing I see this creating is hostility to sex offenders who may be trying to correct their behaviors.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  01:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/04/2007 01:12:36
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  06:07:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's next, they will be required to wear a button on their lapel?

You know, the Nazis had pieces of flair, that they made the Jews wear.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  11:44:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah the plight of the Jews and the plight of the sex offender are so similar

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  13:33:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Here is a thing to consider about pedophilia anyway. We will not solve the problem of pedophilia until we see it as a mental disorder first. Pedophilia and sexually related offenses are the only disorders in the DSM that are also listed as criminal behaviors by law enforcement. And while it's true that children need to be protected, it will never get any better, and they will never be any safer as long as we see pedophilia as a criminal behavior first.

One problem is that if a pedophile goes to a therapist for help, the therapist is obliged to contact a law enforcement agency and report the offender. So you are not going to get too many pedophiles seeking help for their compulsion. There is no heading this one off at the pass because the actual compulsion is rarely treated.

Another problem is that many therapists are loath to treat pedophiles. The therapists own emotional reaction and disgust makes treatment hard to find, even if one were to seek it out.

If you have ever watched the Dateline episodes where they lure pedophiles to a potential victim's home, there is a recurring theme when the perp is asked why he is there, after seeing other Dateline episodes on the same subject. Most of the time the perp's answer is “I don't know” which happens to be a true answer for someone with an obsessive/compulsive disorder. The host invariably looks incredulous as though those people actually have control over their behavior. Then they are carted off and placed in the criminal justice system, a necessary evil since there is nothing better in place for them, with a strong likelihood that they will do it again once released. The recidivism rate for pedophilia is very high, and not without reason. A mental disorder does not go away if it is not treated.

Until we turn the system upside down nothing will change.

And this may be a tough pill to swallow, but until we show some sympathy, or at least force ourselves to be rational enough to override our disgust at what these people do, and start seeing them as sick as anyone with an obsessive/compulsive disorder, all we will have is more and more green license plates…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Original_Intent
SFN Regular

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  13:59:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Original_Intent a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Screw the liscence plates. If society needs to be worried about them, remove them from society. If not, why bother them.

The sex lasw are so screwed up, a 50 year old woment having sex with a 16 yo boy will go to prison for as much time as a 50 yo man didling a 10 yo boy (if their not a preist, they can hide them to the statuets of lmitation run out.

I'd like to see it started with a fuel air explosive over a NAMBLA meeting....

SO I guess I can't remove emotion...... I could care less.... Just get them out of society.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  14:28:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Okay. Here is a thing to consider about pedophilia anyway. We will not solve the problem of pedophilia until we see it as a mental disorder first. Pedophilia and sexually related offenses are the only disorders in the DSM that are also listed as criminal behaviors by law enforcement. And while it's true that children need to be protected, it will never get any better, and they will never be any safer as long as we see pedophilia as a criminal behavior first.

One problem is that if a pedophile goes to a therapist for help, the therapist is obliged to contact a law enforcement agency and report the offender. So you are not going to get too many pedophiles seeking help for their compulsion. There is no heading this one off at the pass because the actual compulsion is rarely treated.

Another problem is that many therapists are loath to treat pedophiles. The therapists own emotional reaction and disgust makes treatment hard to find, even if one were to seek it out.

If you have ever watched the Dateline episodes where they lure pedophiles to a potential victim's home, there is a recurring them when the perp is asked why he is there, after seeing other Dateline episodes on the same subject. Most of the time the perp's answer is “I don't know” which happens to be a true answer for someone with an obsessive/compulsive disorder. The host invariably looks incredulous as though those people actually have control over their behavior. Then they are carted off and placed in the criminal justice system, a necessary evil since there is nothing better in place for them, with a strong likelihood that they will do it again once released. The recidivism rate for pedophilia is very high, and not without reason. A mental disorder does not go away if it is not treated.

Until we turn the system upside down nothing will change.

And this may be a tough pill to swallow, but until we show some sympathy, or at least force ourselves to be rational enough to override our disgust at what these people do, and start seeing them as sick as anyone with an obsessive/compulsive disorder, all we will have is more and more green license plates…

Well, I have no sympathy at all for pedophiles, yet I agree that they should be treated for their mental disorder.

Not for their benefit, but for children's sake. If treatment is ineffective, then we need to work on its effectiveness. Until that happens, they likely need to be removed from all access to kids. The present system of criminalization alone is not working, nor will color-coded plates help.

As for repeated DUI's getting color-coded plates, this seems a bit more directly logical. Driving is a privilege, and such plates could provide other drivers with fair warning, and help to keep the DUI offender under closer observation.

Much response here is of the "slippery slope" variety. Slippery slope arguments can be very fallacious -- unless the slope really is slippery. I'm of two minds about this, and I'm worried that I'll soon be of three or even four minds about it.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/04/2007 14:36:40
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  16:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Kil on this one. These people needs to get effective treatment.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  19:50:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

Yeah the plight of the Jews and the plight of the sex offender are so similar

Assuming you replied to me, you really need to get out more or buy a sense of humor.

At least, rent Office Space.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  21:06:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
no i was replying to the other person who commented on jews........ oh wait, there wasn't one.

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  23:18:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

You have some points and I can sympathize with anyone that have sexual urges that are not accepted or acceptable in their society. However, pedophilia is not a crime. Abusing children is.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  23:45:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

Originally posted by Kil

You have some points and I can sympathize with anyone that have sexual urges that are not accepted or acceptable in their society. However, pedophilia is not a crime. Abusing children is.
You are correct. I should have said predatory pedophilia, which is a crime in every state. I should also point out that not all cases of child sexual abuse is pedophilia. Child sexual abuse is listed in the DSM as a symptom of pedophilia and will usually meet the criteria for pedophilia.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  05:00:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

Originally posted by Kil

I also agree, and regret using "pedophile" when I meant "child molestor." Anyone who has dangerously antisocial desires that he or she suppresses should be thanked for their self-control. (For instance, I should the thanked by the entire world for not singing in public.)

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  06:36:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

no i was replying to the other person who commented on jews........ oh wait, there wasn't one.

Except for the OP which a "Jew" license plate...nice try, thanks for playing.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds.