Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  12:56:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Moakley.....

But did you like the beer?

Would but that I could recruit such a contentious bunch to do any work! They have certainly given me what I was looking for, though.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  13:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Kil.....

Thanks for your last post. I hope you understand I am not making any claims nor positing any facts regarding UFOs. I am examining the perception of UFOs.

I appreciate the simplicity of "I don't know" or even "I don't care"
as compared to the bombastic bloviation of some of the folks that live in this strange universe. Thank you for the straight talk.

As to the "misanthropic" remark, certainly - living with these folks -you must occasionally rebuke Wedgie and Raccoon Guy for lousy manners, thin skins, and an absolute lack of any sense of humor... although that avatar IS pretty furry. Maybe it is a porcupine.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  14:11:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Originally posted by bngbuck
As to the "misanthropic" remark, certainly - living with these folks -you must occasionally rebuke Wedgie and Raccoon Guy for lousy manners, thin skins, and an absolute lack of any sense of humor... although that avatar IS pretty furry. Maybe it is a porcupine.
Wow-- you're a real jerk! Re-read my first post. I very politely-- and indeed, quite sincerely-- asked if,
[p]erhaps to help us out, you might reference some such incidents? I personally am unaware of a UFO being "reported" by groups of "professional military or police" or "sightings verified by multiple radar trackings." I'd be interested to read of news or official accounts of such things and give you my opinion, however.
Your best reply was a rather rude request for me to search for a few hours to find examples so that I might be able to better answer your question.

I seriously doubt anyone would interpret my post or attitude as being "misanthropic" (indeed, your use of the term in this context is clearly out of place), and I have a hard time in thinking that any reasonable person would even consider my request as an example of "lousy manners."

In any case, I anxiously await your no doubt well-researched book on UFOs and their perception.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  14:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Lessee, is the thread still under 50 posts? Yes, I see that it is. I've won a bet!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  15:01:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message

GeeMack.....

Gee, mac, I must have upset you. Perhaps I can either exacerbate your distress or mollify it by parsing your little ad hominen diatribe. It really doesn't matter which one.
Reading this far, I cannot see any ad hominem on GeeMack's part.
It seems to me that either I've missed it, in which case I ask you to point them out, or maybe you have misunderstood what an ad hominem really is.

As to your original quest:
I know of two similar events where there has been many people reporting seeing the same thing, and reporting it as a UFO. I don't know if the descriptions of the many different people have been the same, or how much their stories have differed. But in both cases, an investigation explained the reality as flying objects, though unusual, of man made origin.
I think Halfmooner has a point though, that the historical, social, and religious settings and backrounds of the observers with have a huge impact on the commonality of the "mass" reports.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  16:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

1.I opened the thread with a very specific request for opinion
on the UFO phenomenon-not opinions on specific instances
of UFO activity.
I know I'm late to this party, but the problem, it seems to me, was with your question. The obvious answer within the context you provided was the one that Kil and Dude provided: regardless of apparent credibility, if people claim to have seen something that they cannot identify, why not take them at their word? If they meant to say that they saw an extraterrestrial spaceship, that's a whole different kettle of fish.

So, obvious answer. Boring answer. What's interesting is the claim within your question, that there is a "small but significant number of highly documented sightings of UFO aerial phenomena reported by large groups of ordinary people..." (etc). Whether your intent was to focus on those or not, using them as a premise for your question opens the subject to relevant inquiry.

Plus, your claim implies that you know of events which meet such criteria already. Refusing to post even a single reference, and instead directing questioners to perform hours of Googling, is utterly obnoxious. Offering up a specific tree or two, but reiterating that you're interested in the forest only, would have been understood and even appreciated.
I try only to insult those who insult me.
You failed to live to that standard with your "misanthropic rants" comment, which was so vague as to indict the entire member base here.
...I have nothing to apologize for...
Really?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

marty
BANNED

63 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:09:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marty a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

Lessee, is the thread still under 50 posts? Yes, I see that it is. I've won a bet!

What was the bet for and with whom?

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:10:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Dr. Mabuse.....

With respect to my comment regarding GeeMack's ad hominem diatribe.

EXACT QUOTES

1. "what's to like?" (in bngbuck)

2. (bngbuck) "deals with people in a pretty shitty way"

3. "and you like this bngbuck guy?" (In sarcastic inflection)

4. "he's a lousy communicator" Lousy?

5. "he gets all smarmy..." Smarmy?

6. "he's apparently lazy" Lazy?

You don't feel that these are comments on my character, appealing to feelings or prejudices, rather than intellect? This is the dictionary definition of ad hominem.

"I don't like him. He deals with people in a pretty shitty way. And you like him? (sarcasm) He's a lousy communicator, he's smarmy and lazy."

With respect to the rest of your post, this is a prototypical example of the the type of UFO event that I have totally excluded from the group of "filtered" events I referred to in the original post. The fact was that the event was investigated and was fully explained. No longer UFOs, rather Explained Flying Objects.I am not concerned with perception of EFOs.

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Dave W......

Really!!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

You don't feel that these are comments on my character, appealing to feelings or prejudices, rather than intellect? This is the dictionary definition of ad hominem.
By that definition, then this comment was ad hominem, also:
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

lol, I like this bngbuck guy
But you're not suggesting that you upset him, are you? And since that's the comment to which Geemack was responding, the idea that he could possibly have avoided a discussion of feelings (aside from not replying at all) is ridiculous.

Besides, "ad hominem diatribe" in this case is just a few ten-cent words for "lot of insults." You certainly didn't mean that GeeMack was making an ad hominem argument (appealing to feelings or prejudice rather than intellect while attempting to defend a logical proposition), because GeeMack wasn't doing so. He wasn't saying that because you're rude and lazy, you must be wrong. That would have been a classic ad hominem argument. I find it pretentious when people use ad hominem when they really mean "insult" or "personal attack," even more pretentious than correctly putting ad hominem in italics.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  17:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

Dave W......

Really!!
Will you respond to the substantive portions of my post, or must I be satisfied with your insistence that you feel no need to apologize for insulting everyone who has ever posted anything that could be called a "rant" here on these forums?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  18:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Valiant Dancer......

Exactly what claims have I made? That there is an abundance of material of the type that I have described on the Internet and elsewhere? Guilty. What is the burden of proof? To iterate a certain number of EXAMPLES until someone says "stop"? TO WHAT END? I have no vested interest in the truth or falsity of the reports themselves, so I'm not interested in whether anybody looks to see if they are there or what they say. Why would I make up the statement that there were lots of unexplained UFO stories on the Internet? Anyone can verify that, as I clearly stated.

Your thinking is so ground into a rut of debunking UFO stories that you cannot understand what I am clearly stating. I am interested in the process of perception of UFO phenomena. If you will go back and read Wrong Way's post, it may help. He has it mostly right.

and here, endeth the lesson!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  18:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Ricky posted on 8/6/07 at 22:36

I do not see bngbuck attempting to claim that UFOs exist, that is, convince us of their extraterrestrial origin. Instead, I see him trying to get our perspective on what is the cause behind UFO sightings, specifically ones where multiple observers agree on what they saw. If this is the case, then I would request that people stop asking him to back up his non-existent claims. If it is not, could you point out where I overlooked?

Ricky pretty much has it right! Can anyone answer his question?

Go to Top of Page

marty
BANNED

63 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  18:12:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marty a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.
Besides, "ad hominem diatribe" in this case is just a few ten-cent words for "lot of insults." You certainly didn't mean that GeeMack was making an ad hominem argument (appealing to feelings or prejudice rather than intellect while attempting to defend a logical proposition), because GeeMack wasn't doing so. He wasn't saying that because you're rude and lazy, you must be wrong. That would have been a classic ad hominem argument. I find it pretentious when people use ad hominem when they really mean "insult" or "personal attack," even more pretentious than correctly putting ad hominem in italics.

This is why your forum lacks critical thinking and encourages this sort of behavior. Your words are a projection of self. Others tend to follow suit.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2007 :  18:14:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by marty

Originally posted by Dave W.

This is why your forum lacks critical thinking and encourages this sort of behavior. Your words are a projection of self. Others tend to follow suit.

What a load of hypocritical crap.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.