Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 Humor
 Can the christian god get anything right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  05:10:08  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's check his track record shall we?

Create the universe, Earth, plants animals people blah blah blah...

But don't eat that fruit there, okay? I mean it!

Hmmm... Didn't work. Okay, cast 'em out, take away eternal life, that'll show them!

Huh? Someone killed somebody? Gotta keep an eye on that lot.

Oops, heck of a lot of sinning going on down there, better give 'em another smackdown.

FLOOD! Wipe them all out, except for that Noah feller. Good guy Noah, real holy like, nice family. They can start things over fresh.

What the H?!?!?! They've only just got out of the ark and they're sinning again! Noah's getting drunk and laying around naked! Okay, I'll cut him some slack because he's been shoveling manure for weeks, but that kid of his shouldn't be looking, that Ham guy, so he's cursed and all his offspring.

Ah, peace at last.

Hey, what's that pile of bricks, gettin' a mite high ain't it? Are those little devils trying to get up here? Well I'll show them, mess their tongues up right good I will! Heh heh heh heh heh...

Now where was I...? Oh yeah, hockey game is about to start, where's that remote?

Hey, what's that going on down in Sodom? WHAAAAAAAT? Bunch of homos! NUKE THEM! Hmmm, popcorn needs some salt.

Man, those Maple Leafs are useless, couldn't score in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons.

HEY! MOSES! Get up here, we need to talk. Look, I've been trying to get you lot to behave yourselves for years now, what else do you need, written instructions? Okay, here ya go, now get back down there and do something about that golden calf.

WHAT ARE YOU SMASHING THEM FOR?!

Sheesh, what else can go wrong?

Alright, that tears it, I'm too busy to be running around at my age. Son, I'm sending you down there to do a little fire and brimstone preachin' on them. Yeah yeah yeah, I'll be bringing you back, just don't expect first class, okay?

Bah, quit yer bleating, I had to show them the POWER kid, no hard feelings? Here, have a seat. No no no, on my right side. Now, start writing down names. I want evidence.

2006 years later and we're still knee-deep in a big ole mess. Seems the big guy didn't plan too well huh?

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:03:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Now where was I...? Oh yeah, hockey game is about to start, where's that remote?

Man, those Maple Leafs are useless, couldn't score in a women's prison with a fistful of pardons.

Umm, hockey sucks, dude. Nothing more then soccer on ice. And soccer is gay.

3 hours later and a final score of 2-1, what drama.... (sigh)

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Edited by - Bill scott on 08/14/2007 06:07:42
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:22:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The system is far too complex for us to ever predict when that might happen.

Complex, yes, I would agree. But yet man, in all of his self absorbed glory, who can not even recreate the most basic form of life, from nothing, heck, he can't even recreate life using that which already exists, yet he will mock the one who did? Silly little man...

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  06:52:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Bill scott

The system is far too complex for us to ever predict when that might happen.

Complex, yes, I would agree. But yet man, in all of his self absorbed glory, who can not even recreate the most basic form of life, from nothing, heck, he can't even recreate life using that which already exists, yet he will mock the one who did? Silly little man...

Replying to a quote which isn't even on this page, so others are confused? Impolite little turd.

And since you made the declarative statement "the one who did", you are now required to prove it. If you have any intellectual honesty, that is.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  07:06:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rat, me ol' shipmate, this is Bill Scott that you are asking for supportive evidence. It has been the experience here that arguing with Bill is like rassling a hog in the sty. We all get good & mucky, but the hog enjoys it!

But I gotta tell ya, Bill, judging by his/her/it's record, God would fuck up a free lunch. I mean, who else would put mouth parts on a creature that does not feed?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  07:50:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And since you made the declarative statement "the one who did", you are now required to prove it. If you have any intellectual honesty, that is.

Prove it? You have the very creation itself which testifies for the existence of a creator. Or are you one of these guys who begins his explanation for his worldview with "It was all just there. A warm little pond hidden away somewhere in the haze of primordial earth"?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  07:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
But I gotta tell ya, Bill, judging by his/her/it's record, God would fuck up a free lunch. I mean, who else would put mouth parts on a creature that does not feed?

Again, the one with limited knowledge, who can't even recreate life from that which already exists, let alone create new life from nothing, has delusions that he can critique the one who can and did. What silliness.

As one with limited knowledge, how can you be so sure that the one with infinite knowledge did not design this or that with a purpose? A purpose, that with your limited knowledge, you fail to recognize.

You assume that this or that has no purpose but as one with limited knowledge on the subject, well, your just assuming.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:27:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Again, the one with limited knowledge, who can't even recreate life from that which already exists, let alone create new life from nothing, has delusions that he can critique the one who can and did. What silliness.

As one with limited knowledge, how can you be so sure that the one with infinite knowledge did not design this or that with a purpose? A purpose, that with your limited knowledge, you fail to recognize.

You assume that this or that has no purpose but as one with limited knowledge on the subject, well, your just assuming.

Oh, I don't know; could it be that it's because the one with infinite knowledge evidently does not exist?

And it is true that I cannot create life (we're not talking about fornication, are we? I've created life that way). But that begs the question: Why the hell would I want to? I already have enough children.

Unless we're talking about abiogenesis; that research is slowly advancing. We simply don't know, yet....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bill wrote:
You have the very creation itself which testifies for the existence of a creator. Or are you one of these guys who begins his explanation for his worldview with "It was all just there. A warm little pond hidden away somewhere in the haze of primordial earth"?
I respond to this with a paraphrasing of your own words: You assume that this all has some benevolent higher purpose, but as one with limited knowledge on the subject, well, your just assuming.

Bill, there's plenty of evidence to debunk most literal claims of all the major world religions, including Christianity. Given that, we're left with a big fat mystery. Ancient people all over the earth have been inventing creative myths to explain the origins of our and the universe's existence. Animal and even human sacrifice was so common because people looked at the cycle of life and death and assumed that for fortune and life to emerge, first death must occur. We cannot know whether some entity with intelligence and consciousness created the universe and life (and frankly, I fail to see how saying "God was just here first" is any more logical than saying "Matter – some of which became life – was just here". Your insistence that life was created "from nothing" is a straw man. No atheist claims that life just popped into existence from nothing.)

While we cannot know if any intelligent and conscious creator exists, we certainly can know that nature is not benevolent. If there is such a god, he most certainly is not good by any even generalized human consensus. Or if he is, he most certainly isn't powerful enough to conform nature to his own goodness.

Also, after all this time on this forum, you still insist on totally misrepresenting the modern atheist worldview. You make it sound like we think the universe was just here as it is, and never give any credit to the theories in physics and biology that are perfectly plausible (and much more simple explanations than some mystery "God" who "just did it.) Our beliefs about origins are not religious in nature at all. We have no faith in them since we will blow with the wind of science and reason.

And apparently, Bill, you also have no faith. None at all. Because real faith does not rely on reason. It is about revelation. It is a personal experience. It is a direct connection with the supernatural. You have nothing like that, but you really really want your religion to be true, so you convince yourself that reason and science support your claims. It's really quite sad and pathetic – you and all the other modern fundamentalists think you have traditional faith, when really you are the frightened, marginalized, bastard children of the Enlightenment.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:54:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You have the very creation itself which testifies for the existence of a creator.
That assumes your conclusion, making your argument circular.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  08:59:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, I don't know; could it be that it's because the one with infinite knowledge evidently does not exist?

If the evidence were any closer it would bite your nose. Complex life does not just create itself from nothing. I mean man cannot even recreate life from that which already exists. And the most popular theory to counter one creator as the source of this complex life begins with a warm little pond that was just there?.?.?.?

And it is true that I cannot create life

So then what makes you believe your qualified to critique the one who did?

Unless we're talking about abiogenesis; that research is slowly advancing. We simply don't know, yet....

So your not going to assume anything on abiogenesis, because we just don't know, right? But yet you will assume the design intent, or lack there of, in other areas of life of which you equally "simply don't know"? Your all over the board here.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:23:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rat, that was the best, funniest, most basically accurate summary of the Bible I've ever read. I laughed until I cried, then cried until I laughed again. My hat is off to you.

Our own pious Bill wrote:
Dangerous example, Bill. Scientists are working on creating life (a synthetic bacterium) from non-living chemical at this very moment. When they eventually succeed, how will your words look?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/14/2007 09:27:00
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:31:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Dangerous example, Bill. Scientists are working on creating life (a synthetic bacterium) from non-living chemical at this very moment. When they eventually succeed, how will your words look?

1. Call me when they succeed.

2. Where did the non-living chemical come from?

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't answer, will you, Bill?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:49:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Won't answer, will you, Bill?

Answer what? Scientists have now succeeded in creating life from nothing, opps, I mean from chemicals?

Won't answer, will you

Where did these chemicals come from?

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2007 :  09:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rat, that was the best, funniest, most basically accurate summary of the Bible I've ever read. I laughed until I cried, then cried until I laughed again. My hat is off to you.

Well, obviously, your easily amused. I am sure that is a byproduct of all your spare time.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.