Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  19:32:25  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had mentioned a while ago in chat that I was planning on opening an online store to sell my work. Well, the deed is done.

Announcing the opening of my online art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Buy my art! 'cause I have mad student loans to pay back it's beautiful and will make your house or your friends' houses prettier (remember, art makes a great gift!) while also giving you something weird to meditate on. I'm sure this has something to do with skepticism. Really, it does.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/21/2007 19:33:40

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  19:37:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

I had mentioned a while ago in chat that I was planning on opening an online store to sell my work. Well, the deed is done.

Buy my art! 'cause I have mad student loans to pay back it's beautiful and will make your house or your friends' houses prettier (remember, art makes a great gift!) while also giving you something weird to meditate on. I'm sure this has something to do with skepticism. Really, it does.

Please, please, please. Buy this stuff. I've seen some of her work and it is quite interesting and occasionally thought provoking.

And anyway it keeps her off the streets it helps out a starving aspiring artist.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  19:45:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just figured out the connection with skepticism... See, my print "Self Portrait with Bats" contains a quote from "Praise of Folly" by Erasmus, who was something of a religious skeptic and humanist in his time, being critical of much in the Catholic church.

Val wrote:
Please, please, please. Buy this stuff. I've seen some of her work and it is quite interesting and occasionally thought provoking.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  19:47:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Marf! I have little doubt that your art will be wildly successful. Like the hilarious stuffed-animal art you showed us many months ago, this is wonderful.

My contribution may for now have to be limited to not using Photoshop to mess with your work, unless I can come up with a sneaky way to use a parody to help sales. But wouldn't that just be wrong? Parody is meant to destroy, not build, right?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  19:55:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Parody is meant to destroy, not build, right?
I think that depends. ;-)

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  20:45:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Parody is meant to destroy, not build, right?
I think that depends. ;-)
Pivar didn't much like Myers' animal-balloon-design interpretation of his Lifecode book.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  08:18:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didya mean to destroy Kil when you put him in a dress?

Edited by - marfknox on 08/22/2007 08:19:12
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  15:55:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Didya mean to destroy Kil when you put him in a dress?
I sure did. It worked, right?

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  10:59:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Good for you. I wish you the best of luck!

Sold any yet?

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  15:18:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sold any yet?
Nope.

And I need over a thousand dollars in sales before I break even from just the cost of supplies. Not counting my hours and hours of time.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  15:21:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Jerome, if I manage to break even in this endeavor, after my first dollar of profit I'll mail you a thank you card for your encouragement.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  15:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But seriously... does anybody have any ideas how to market? I really really need to earn more money.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  15:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

But seriously... does anybody have any ideas how to market? I really really need to earn more money.

Off the top of my head; the first thing I would do is create, and have friends(SFN for starters) create various avatars. From these avatars surreptitiously link your web site into as many places as you can throughout the web without concern for the venue. Make a goal of linking your site at least 10 times a day. With any account to any forums you currently have add the link to your sig and make a post or two.

Get a youtube account, google video account, and as many others as you can think of. Reply to as many videos as you can with your link embedded. The key here is to say something interesting about the subject matter, this will cause people to click the link.

I will keep thinking.

What a man believes upon grossly insufficient evidence is an index into his desires -- desires of which he himself is often unconscious. If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way. - Bertrand Russell
Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  15:53:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohh, and do not prefix the link. This allows the person to make a decision or judgment prior to clicking the link.

With pricing remember that 38 looks like much less than 40 to the buyer.

I also think unique numbers would be benefiting what you are selling.

If I may suggest: $67, $72, $58. These types of numbers denote special, and they are perceived as if you are just selling for the bare minimum.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  16:02:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I appreciate your giving advice, Jerome, but this sounds extremely disingenuous, especially the bit about creating various avatars (thus deliberately misrepresenting myself as several different identities) and "without concern for the venue". Unless I actually became a regular member on all these venues, these avatars would be quickly recognized for what they are, scorned, and then the last thing people will want to do is buy things from my store. I don't mind trying to peddle my wares, but these sort of dishonest marketing tactics are exactly what give salesmen a bad reputation - and for good reason IMO.

Go to Top of Page

JEROME DA GNOME
BANNED

2418 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2007 :  16:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send JEROME DA GNOME a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I appreciate your giving advice, Jerome, but this sounds extremely disingenuous, especially the bit about creating various avatars (thus deliberately misrepresenting myself as several different identities) and "without concern for the venue". Unless I actually became a regular member on all these venues, these avatars would be quickly recognized for what they are, scorned, and then the last thing people will want to do is buy things from my store. I don't mind trying to peddle my wares, but these sort of dishonest marketing tactics are exactly what give salesmen a bad reputation - and for good reason IMO.

I stated that it is important to be interesting in your conversation. This is not dishonest; one can not usually be interesting if they are not interested. You are expanding your field of contact with the web world, taking interest and giving interesting thought.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.