Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  21:13:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The Google Bomb was nerfed slightly in 2007. While the pagerank system is still the primary tool, they made some changes to limit this tactic.

Shouldn't effect the idea of linking "Expelled" to the ExpelledExopsed.com website. Though I think Google only counts one link per website (not exactly sure on that though), so I'm not sure linking it 100 times on the SFN forums will effect the pagerank.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  05:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
During NPR's pledge drive last week I amused myself by listening to snippets of the local Right Wing AM station. I caught an advertisement for Expelled... "The movie 'Big Science' doesn't want you to see.'" Big science?

The idea of demonizing the academic community just friggin' creeps me out. I get this feeling Right Wing think tanks are plugging away trying to find ways to make America decline. Take apart the public education system, neglect infrastructure, export the manufacturing economy, de-fund basic science, chip away at civil rights, and demonize the intellectual community. They call it "Starving the Beast" but it's more like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/15/2008 05:10:24
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  05:47:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
That is precisely their adgenda and has been for decades.

But what if all of the Pavlovian followers of these dimwitted, drooling heads go and see the flick, and it turns out to be the far less than interesting & indeed, downright pitiful dog I've been reading about? Pavlovian they mght be, but not all of them are stupid. This thing could thin the ranks a bit.

Damn straight; send 'em all to see it. And really, 'Big Science' scarcly cares because it holds the highest hand in the game. Verifiable evidence trumps bullshit and these idiots aren't good enough players to bluff for the pot. They'll get called and likely raised, every time.

Hell, they're so easy it's getting dull.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  07:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by chaloobi

The idea of demonizing the academic community just friggin' creeps me out.
We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  07:31:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well finally! This turkey has at last gotten a favorable review from something with the pretentious moniker of The American Thinker.

"Ben Stein's new film EXPELLED: No Intelligence Allowed, is a documentary that appears to be about Intelligent Design and the shortcomings of Darwinism. The film is not just an exploration of the limitations of The Origin of Species, but a journey to uncover the mindset that Darwinism engendered among those with an agenda to replace traditional understandings of God with pure materialism.

But far from offering a weighty discourse on theories of monism, Stein delivers a pop culture MTV-style Road Film that has already reignited the Culture Wars, with a just-issued cease and desist letter from a group at Harvard. The Harvard letter claims that a clip in the film plagiarizes an "Inner Life of the Cell" animation, and possible further legal action could disrupt the opening of the film on April 18.

We enter Ben Stein's argument through images of the building of the Berlin Wall. Using inter-cuts, upbeat music, original text, and exciting graphics, Ben creates his own music video genre, as he visits professors who were "expelled" from universities and think tanks for merely mentioning the words "Intelligent Design" in their work.

Then, unexpectedly, we find ourselves in Dachau Concentration Camp, but this is no ordinary detour. Suddenly, we realize that Ben is about to link Darwinism to Nazism, by way of exposing the mindset of that gave way to the Jewish Holocaust.

The gas chambers of Dachau are horrifyingly familiar. What begs question of the ontological connection between Darwinism and Nazism, however, is the tour of the Nazi Hadamar Eugenics Labs. Watching a modern-day German woman guide Ben through the labs is, to put it mildly, revolting. Despite Ben's gentle prodding, she remains neutral throughout, unmoved, as she impassively informs Ben that 15,000 victims were exterminated in the gas ovens of the Eugenics labs during World War II. Then, despite her polite demeanor, she confirms what we fear most. She is unable to express any remorse whatsoever for the atrocities that happened; how Nazis, in pursuit of the master race, exterminated disabled, insane, feeble-minded, homosexual, and fragile human beings, alongside 6,000,000 Jews.
"

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  09:48:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I just saw an ad for the film on the Discovery Channel.

Of course, the Discovery Channel still runs shows that seek to prove the existence of ghosts or Bigfoot, so "pandering" is the channel's middle name and Expelled fits like a glove.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  09:55:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

That is precisely their adgenda and has been for decades.

To wax nostalgic about the good ol' days of pre-20th Century America and try to remake America in that image is stupid in a wide a variety of ways, not least of which is that it's impossible to do! I can understand why certain elements of the economic elite would be happy with it, but virtually nobody else. WTF?

But what if all of the Pavlovian followers of these dimwitted, drooling heads go and see the flick, and it turns out to be the far less than interesting & indeed, downright pitiful dog I've been reading about? Pavlovian they mght be, but not all of them are stupid. This thing could thin the ranks a bit.

Damn straight; send 'em all to see it. And really, 'Big Science' scarcly cares because it holds the highest hand in the game. Verifiable evidence trumps bullshit and these idiots aren't good enough players to bluff for the pot. They'll get called and likely raised, every time.

Hell, they're so easy it's getting dull.
Call me paranoid but I think these people are not stupid, that they know their ID work is false but are pushing projects like this as a means to subvert trust in science and rationalism in general. I think the goal is to remake our society from the government on down to embrace, including legislate to some extent, conservative religous belief. They are not ignorant of science so much as opposed to it. Knowledge of the nature of reality is of trivial value in the face of the likely consequences such knowledge brings. It's fundamentally the difference between finding the truth about existance, however strange or uncomfortable, and engineering a truth about existance that leaves you with peace of mind, damn the consequences.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  09:58:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

I just saw an ad for the film on the Discovery Channel.

Of course, the Discovery Channel still runs shows that seek to prove the existence of ghosts or Bigfoot, so "pandering" is the channel's middle name and Expelled fits like a glove.
Pandering or profit? People like to watch stories about ghosts so Discovery runs stories about ghosts. The consequences of showing this crap as though it's objective science based programming are irrelevant.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/15/2008 09:59:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  10:29:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message

Pandering or profit? People like to watch stories about ghosts so Discovery runs stories about ghosts. The consequences of showing this crap as though it's objective science based programming are irrelevant.
Pander: "To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses." Pandering is all about profit, no "or" needed.

And I dare say that the consequences are very relevant. The fact that a large percentage of the viewers will assume something is science simply because it is shown on a sciency channel is one of the reasons that not everyone will see through the transparent lies in Expelled.

Forcryingoutloud, we live in a world where common sense is at such a minimum that TV hosts have to remind people "don't try this at home" or fear getting sued!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  13:18:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message

Pander: "To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses." Pandering is all about profit, no "or" needed.

And I dare say that the consequences are very relevant. The fact that a large percentage of the viewers will assume something is science simply because it is shown on a sciency channel is one of the reasons that not everyone will see through the transparent lies in Expelled.

Forcryingoutloud, we live in a world where common sense is at such a minimum that TV hosts have to remind people "don't try this at home" or fear getting sued!
I was being sarcastic on the relevance question.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  14:05:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

Call me paranoid but I think these people are not stupid, that they know their ID work is false but are pushing projects like this as a means to subvert trust in science and rationalism in general. I think the goal is to remake our society from the government on down to embrace, including legislate to some extent, conservative religous belief. They are not ignorant of science so much as opposed to it. Knowledge of the nature of reality is of trivial value in the face of the likely consequences such knowledge brings. It's fundamentally the difference between finding the truth about existance, however strange or uncomfortable, and engineering a truth about existance that leaves you with peace of mind, damn the consequences.
Dead on.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  14:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message

Do they show that crap on the Science channel, or just the Discovery Channel?

If they don't, then what is the distinction in the minds of the Discovery channel's management?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  14:47:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
No, they don't show it on the science channel. Discovey channel is geared to more of an entertainment format though. The "ghost" and "bigfoot" style shows on Discovery really are kinda funny too. They aren't presented as credulously as the stuff on the Sci-Fi channel either.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  14:55:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by pleco

Do they show that crap on the Science channel, or just the Discovery Channel?
Mostly Discovery, as The Learning Channel seems to have been overrun with make-over shows (both home and personal) and "reality" TV like American Chopper and Bringing Up Baby. But Discovery runs "A Haunting" for two hours every stinking weekday now. Animal Planet used to be home to pet psychics, but that seems to have been done away with.
If they don't, then what is the distinction in the minds of the Discovery channel's management?
Dunno. Heck, I remember when the A&E channel (different network) was actually Arts and Entertainment. Last time I watched anything on that channel, it seemed to have morphed into running episodes of Biography 24/7.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  15:51:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message

We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

I was dumbfounded when I read this quote and was going say more than just when I Googled poor Pastor Ray and discovered that he has been endlessly ridiculed. I think he deserved it. Even has an award named after him.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds.