Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  15:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Originally posted by Dude

No, they don't show it on the science channel. Discovey channel is geared to more of an entertainment format though. The "ghost" and "bigfoot" style shows on Discovery really are kinda funny too. They aren't presented as credulously as the stuff on the Sci-Fi channel either.

On a side note, I think my Tivo is psychic or possessed, because it knows to record science and nature shows on its own, but doesn't record paranormal and religious shows. But I didn't tell it not too!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  22:46:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
When they reached rock bottom...

ERV - Expelled also plagairized PBS

Pharyngula - Expelled is suing XVIVO!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  03:42:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Kevin Miller is a screen writer clown for Expelled. He apparently also writes stupid things on his spare time and claims that consensus in science is repression:
By your logic, it was right for Galileo to be persecuted for his views, because the overwhelming majority of astronomers were certain that geocentrism was right and heliocentrism was wrong. The evidence was just so overwhelmingly obvious. The same goes for virtually any other scientist that revolutionized his discipline.
Ian Musgrave is not impressed: So much irony, so little time.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 04/16/2008 03:43:31
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  05:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
Speaking of cable, anyone catch Survivor Man? I don't watch much television but I caught an episode and a half of this guy's show and was pretty impressed.

EDIT: Had to look it up, but it's on the Science Channel. Guy gets left out in the wilderness for a week with no food, no water, no tools, no shelter, no means to make fire (actually, in the episode I watched he had one match but after the first day he let his fire go out and had to make the next one himself) and has to survive. In the episode I saw he was in the Canadian wilderness in late fall for 7 days and had to walk 5+ kilometers cross country to get to a road and hitch hike from there... Not sure how much of it is staged or how much backup he has - ie cell phone or whatever... Fun to watch though.

http://science.discovery.com/convergence/survivorman/survivorman.html

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 04/16/2008 05:26:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  05:48:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Just to continue being a right bastard about this piece-of-shit excuse of a documentary, I googled 'Expelled' and got this page.

The first thing I noted, at the top of the page was:

Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed - Add movie showtimes to iGoogle

1hr 30min - Rated PG - Documentary

Remember this location

There is a place to add your location and a button to click to get the nearest theater to either avoid, paper with fliers, or, no, no I shouldn't recommend that.... Jail sucks.

Anyhow, the ID gang is pulling out all stops to get as big a turnout as possible on opening day and I wonder how well it'll work. I'm sure they'll get a pretty good showing from the True Believers, but how much of a rat's ass does Joe & Jane Sixpack, that is, the average citizen, give about it? Enough to drive a distance, walk a parking lot, and blow the admission price? How good is the attendance at even the best of documentaries, anyway? I don't know.

But I do know that without Joe & Jane on board, they'll have squat whatever the quality, or lack thereof, of their production.

And another question: after OD (chuckle) and a good theater flogging, what then? Will DVD sales (and teeshirts, coffee mugs and other superfluous crap) be lucrative enough to satisfy the investors?

I don't know that either, but this is gonna get better & better and we're gonna have a lot of fun with it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  06:53:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hey! RottenTomatoes finally has some reviews up! And there is fun discussion on their forums.

Justin Chang at Variety doesn't know much about evolution, but still pans the film.
Nick Schager at Slant has nothing good to say.
Vadim Rizov at The Village Voice tersely destroys the movie.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  12:14:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
At risk of teaching grandma how to suck eggs, I will mention that Wiki's article on "Expelled" is a good source of information that continues to be updated.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  13:49:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
They write books! I just might stand corrected. They, some of them anyway, are literate after all.

"Darwin and the Nazis
By Richard Weikart Published 4/16/2008 12:07:03 AM

Richard Dawkins, PZ Myers, and some other Darwinists are horrified that the forthcoming documentary, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, will promote Intelligent Design to a large audience when it opens at over a thousand theaters nationwide on April 18. Ironically, their campaign to discredit Ben Stein and the film confirms its main point, which is to expose the persecution meted out by Darwinists to those daring to criticize Darwinian theory.

One aspect of Expelled that troubles Dawkins and some of his colleagues is its treatment of the ethical implications of Darwinism, especially its discussion of the historical connections between Darwinism and Nazism. Isn't this a bit over-the-top, suggesting that Darwinism has something to do with Nazism? After all, Darwinists today are not Nazis, and Darwinism has nothing to do with anti-Semitism.

However, what is most objectionable about the Nazis' worldview? Isn't it that they had no respect for human life? Their rejection of the sanctity of human life led the Nazi regime to murder millions of Jews, hundreds of thousands of Gypsies, and about 200,000 disabled Germans. Where did the Nazis get the idea that some human beings were “lives unworthy of life”?

As I show in meticulous detail in my book, From Darwin to Hitler: Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany, the Nazis' devaluing of human life derived from Darwinian ideology (this does not mean that all Nazi ideology came from Darwinism). There were six features of Darwinian theory that have contributed to the devaluing of human life (then and now):"

And that's all well and good nonsense, but I have a question: What qualifies a Professor of History to make blanket statements upon the Theory of Evolution?

In fact, I don't get it at all. By it's very nature, scientific theory can't have philosophies. They simply are, so why do these idiots assign them a life of their own? The ToE doesn't care whether Hitler was a saint or the vicious madman that we know him to have been; it is simply not capable of that. What Hitler might have made of it, if anything, is not the concern of the science.

Weikart has put forth a lengthly straw man and worse yet, he's built that straw man by parroting crap that's been spouted by the YEC dingbats for years.

I wish..... I wish that these clowns would go back to attacking the science. At least then, they were interesting and you could get a decent argument out of them. As it is, they just look & sound desperate.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/16/2008 14:03:27
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  23:21:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Deep Throat: Follow the money.
Bob Woodward: What do you mean? Where?
Deep Throat: Oh, I can't tell you that.
Bob Woodward: But you could tell me that.
Deep Throat: No, I have to do this my way. You tell me what you know, and I'll confirm. I'll keep you in the right direction if I can, but that's all. Just... follow the money."
So spoke Woodward and Bernstein's confidential Watergate investigation informant. They were looking into the Watergate conspiracy, headed by President Richard Nixon (the criminal for whom Ben Stein wrote speeches).

In a like manner, the source of money for both the Discovery Institute (largely from nutty billionaire Howard Ahmanson, Jr) and that for "Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed" are interesting matters. I believe that in both cases, each of these ham-handed, discredited causes would have long ago collapsed if not for continuing, profligate infusions of cash.

Here's the guy I think is the money-bags behind "expelled": He is Walt Ruloff, CEO of Premise Media, co-writer and Executive Producer of Expelled. Ruloff who made millions while still in his twenties, and received close to $100,000,000 when he sold his logistics-optimization software company to Microsoft. He has been speculating in real estate since. I'll be trying to find out more about Ruloff. If anyone has a lead on this guy, let me know, please.

As for Mark Mathis, the Associate Producer of Expelled, he seems to be more of a hired-gun lackey than a financier of propaganda. A former TV news reporter, as of 2006, Mathis was Executive Director of an oil industry advocacy group, the so-called Citizens' Alliance for Repsonsible Energy. CARE denies global warming and promotes drilling in the ANWAR area of Alaksa. In other words, like Nixon's boy Ben Stein, Mathis is a long-time professional liar.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/17/2008 20:36:23
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  02:02:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
This should not come as a surprise to anyone:

Yoko Ono, Filmmakers Caught in 'Expelled' Flap
Ben Stein did not acquire the rights to the Killers or John Lennon

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  04:19:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Well, tomorrow's the Big Day, the day that this cannonball hurtles into public view. One thousand theaters, I'm told.

Not much more than spasms of anticipation will happen until the day after tomorrow, when the IDs and outright fundies erupt with paeans of joy and The Panda's Thumb, et al., with gales of derisive laughter. Everyone is going to review it with thousands of words, waxing overly loquacious as well as eloquent, resulting in stunned ennui for all concerned on either side of the question (as if there were a question ).

In short, it's gonna be a blanket of rose petals floating amongst the puke.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to put up two more final and less than relevant links: articles from Conservipedia and Creationwiki.

I won't bother to cut & paste an excerpt, as neither is very long. Enjoy.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:25:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by Starman

This should not come as a surprise to anyone:

Yoko Ono, Filmmakers Caught in 'Expelled' Flap
Ben Stein did not acquire the rights to the Killers or John Lennon
The first link contradicts the second. The first says,
Bloggers also questioned whether another popular rock group, the Killers, had given permission for the inclusion in the film of one of their songs, "All These Things That I've Done." A spokesman for Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group, which owns the band's record label and music publisher, said licenses had been issued.
The second claims that the Killers' tune was unlicensed.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  08:14:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Gee whiz. I wonder how the Expelled folks will try to spin a possible lawsuit over their use of John Lennon's "Imagine" as the science community out to get them? This gets funnier by the day...

Perhaps on their next outing (Like that's going to happen) it would be appropriate for Premise Media Corp to change its name to Lemmings Media Corp?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  08:24:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

Gee whiz. I wonder how the Expelled folks will try to spin a possible lawsuit over their use of John Lennon's "Imagine" as the science community out to get them? This gets funnier by the day...

Indeed. I've read that Yoko is more than just a little miffed about it. I can't wait until tomorrow & the day after; this thing is becoming a bigger more hilarius knothole-fuck virtually by the hour.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/17/2008 08:25:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  08:28:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

Gee whiz. I wonder how the Expelled folks will try to spin a possible lawsuit over their use of John Lennon's "Imagine" as the science community out to get them?
That first article says that they've already claimed that the unnamed bloggers who were talking about the use of "Imagine" were frantically trying to defend their philosophical orthodoxy.

In other words, whether you're a biologist or not, if you criticize Expelled in any way, you must be a Darwinian fundamentalist whose sole purpose is to supress skepticism.

In still other words, they've responded with the same old Big Lie.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds.