Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  11:38:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Great gobs o' goose grease! I was all but bone certain that this thing was going to be dawg, but even I had no idea of how much mange that miserable mutt has......

Damn! Even BeliefNet sneers at it and, yeesh, TV Guide pisses all over it! Links to the articles are in the PT posts.

Holy mack'l Andy! If it keeps up, this fucker is going to set Idiotic Demagoguery's cause back to just before the KT Boundary.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:09:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
AiG, in the person of Mark Looy, does not disappoint:
Already much talked about well before its release today in American movie theaters, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed has become a controversial documentary because it powerfully brings to light the ruthlessness of evolutionists as they expel dissenters from within their midst. The film's entry into the culture war, combined with a last-minute lawsuit against its producers, have helped propel the film to open in over 1,000 American theaters this weekend, as it lobs the latest salvo in the creation/evolution battle.

Expelled is hosted by the entertaining, deadpan-funny economist, civil rights activist, presidential speechwriter, and cultural icon (as a droll movie actor and quiz-show host1), Ben Stein. Stein became famous twenty years ago for his humorous classroom scenes in the comedy film Ferris Bueller's Day Off. With this documentary, Stein has returned to school—but this time, it's not so funny. While the film is mostly an examination of the plight of intelligent design (ID) proponents rather than of biblical creationists,2 it is not really a film on ID, per se, but an exposé on blatant censorship by hardcore evolutionists.3

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/18/2008 12:16:45
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:15:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Thus far: sound of crickets from UcD; dead crickets.

They've got to come up with something, don't they.....? Don't they? Hmmm.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  00:44:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
So. I've been Googling the matter, but can't discover if Expelled premiered as scheduled. Anyone know?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  04:04:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Evidently it did. UcD has at last put up some comments (that gave only the briefest mentions of the reviews). Here's one of 'em:
18 April 2008
Expelled Impressions
scordova
I'm opening a thread for those who would like to report their impressions of seeing the movie Expelled as well the numbers of viewers and their reactions to the movie.

Here is my report:

Location: Memphis, TN Stage 13 Cinema, just north of Cordova Tennessee
2:00 PM Friday Showing

I expected to see only 3 people at the 2PM showing, but there were 60 people! I asked what people thought, they said they would recommend the movie to their friends. They braved bad weather to get here.

The ticket manager said she had a steady stream of positive comments from the movie goers.

The audience was laughing at Richard Dawkins. They seemed in awe of the cellular animation, and they gasped at the images of the Nazi death camps.
A rousing success, heigh-ho! A box office smash, heigh-ho! A straw for the drownder to grasp, hoo-hah!

It came out on time, has been deemed a real stinker by 'most all who stayed home, went to a real movie, or did something else useful, and, as predicted, was hugely enjoyed by those already convinced by the myth. They seem to have drooled satisfactorally and on cue. I expect all of it's audiences will be made up primarly of these tributes to Pavlov.

We'll have to wait 'till Monday to get any real attendence numbers.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  06:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

Evidently it did. UcD has at last put up some comments (that gave only the briefest mentions of the reviews). Here's one of 'em:

Assuming this report is even accurate. Liars for Jesus aren't restricted to AIG, DiscoTute, and behind the pulpit.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  14:10:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Originally posted by filthy

This just doesn't surprise me.
I asked people what they thought and how they heard about the movie. Much of the word spread through the churches and radio. The negative reviews such as USA Today were ignored by those buying tickets.
The effect of opinions/information/scientific evidence contrary to their firmly held beliefs is like water off a ducks back.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  20:45:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I'd been planning on doing something like this, but Blake Stacey did it better than I ever could have.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  21:14:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'd been planning on doing something like this, but Blake Stacey did it better than I ever could have.
That was very powerful and comprehensive. The emotional content of the lying rhetoric of the Creos is getting wilder, and some of them, such as the makers of Expelled, seem to be intentionally trying to stir up passions that will result in the deaths of teachers or scientists at the hands of their less stable moronic followers.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  21:43:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message

Blake Stacey's blog is pretty cool, and not just because he once quoted me.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  03:44:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Excellent indeed!
I wonder: when will this happen in America? All the ingredients are already here. It doesn't take an organized conspiracy, just a culture in which the enemy has already been defined.
To mine a quote from it, it already has: Madelyn Murray O'Hare comes to mind.

I've wondered: why is it that the firmer the belief in a 'loving' deity, the fouler the believer can so often be?

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/20/2008 03:47:35
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  06:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Gimme a beer; I gotta have something to cry into....
Watching EXPELLED by buying a ticket for another movie

William Dembski

This just in from those ever so clever Internet Infidels: “So I went and saw it [EXPELLED] today. No, I didn't give Ben Stein any of my money — I bought a ticket to a different movie starting at the same time.”

It makes one wonder how much larger EXPELLED's take would be if Darwinists pulling this trick were factored in.
Not very, Billy me old blatherskite. More likely they, like I, wouldn't bother to go, so it would make little difference in divvying up the swag. After all, we can read every misrepresentation, prevarication and outright falsehood you & your backers put forth through your ridiculous, little puppet, and have been. The lie of buying one ticket and seeing a different flick pales in the comparison.

Suck it up, Churchy, the science beat you at Kansas and trashed you at Dover, and you're gonna lose this one as well. Wanna go for the best five out of seven?

Edited to add this:
The first Box Office numbers are in. Expelled opened in 8th place with $1.2M in revenues in 1,052 theatres resulting in a $1,141 per theatre revenue. You do the math. At an average of 5 showings this makes $220 per showing or 30-40 people. Expelled ranks 4th in the list of “new releases”

While the weekend has just started the movie will have to do some hard work to match the expectations of the PR people:

“He said they would consider the opening weekend successful if the movie sold 2 million tickets (earning $12-15 million).”

In context, Fahrenheit 9/11's opening weekend grossed $23.9 million in 868 theatres grossing $27,558 per theatre and $8,565,000 on it's first day

Remember that the movie is also heavily subsidized and Churches etc will receive large discounts.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/20/2008 06:23:58
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  13:37:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
So, even with all that work at promotion through right-wing churches and radio stations, it appears they have a raging flop, getting somewhere around 1/10 to 1/6 the sales that the promoters themselves figured would signal success.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  13:59:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
From NCSE's Expelled Exposed site comes the contest, Set Ben Straight.

In promoting the creationist propaganda film Expelled, Ben Stein managed to stick his foot in his mouth over and over again, issuing what seemed to be a ceaseless stream of ignorant, offensive, and just plain daffy claims. Here's your chance to set Ben straight. Send your favorite claim to setbenstraight@ncseweb.org along with a refutation. We'll post the best for all the world to see. And five lucky entrants will receive a year's subscription to Reports of the NCSE along with their choice of a book from NCSE's shelf – including such useful books as Mark Isaak's The Counter-Creationism Handbook, Eugenie C. Scott's Evolution vs. Creationism, and the AAAS's The Evolution Dialogues: Science, Christianity, and the Quest for Understanding. But you only have ten days, and a wealth of silliness to examine, so act now!

Follow the link to the rules. This might be fun for someone here and a chance to do us proud!!!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  15:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Opening weekend numbers for comparison (for those that have numbers), with current TomatoMeter values (and weekend takes in millions of dollars):
Forgetting Sarah Marshall                86%   $17.3
The Forbidden Kingdom                    62%   $20.9
Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?   30%    $0.04
Expelled                                  9%    $3.2
88 Minutes                                5%    $6.8

So even a movie with only half as many good reviews as Expelled (88 Minutes) can pull in twice as much cash.

(Where in the World... opened on only 100 screens, and made 43,000 bucks this weekend - I'd never even heard of it.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.