Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  08:33:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

Gee whiz. I wonder how the Expelled folks will try to spin a possible lawsuit over their use of John Lennon's "Imagine" as the science community out to get them?
That first article says that they've already claimed that the unnamed bloggers who were talking about the use of "Imagine" were frantically trying to defend their philosophical orthodoxy.

In other words, whether you're a biologist or not, if you criticize Expelled in any way, you must be a Darwinian fundamentalist whose sole purpose is to supress skepticism.

In still other words, they've responded with the same old Big Lie.
It's perfect, isn't it? You can't criticize the film or you will be guilty of what they are charging.

How convenient for them...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:07:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

[quote]...How convenient for them...

Which leads to the film's unofficial subtitle:

Creationism - A Convenient Lie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:11:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Someone at AtBC posted this link to Betty Bowers' quiz: Reich or Wrong. It's relevant to the theme of the movie. Identify whether quotes come from Luther, Hitler or Robertson. I scored 9 out of 10.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  09:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Bah! I missed two. Guess I'll have to read up a bit on Martin Luther.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  14:26:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
If what's being said in the comments of this PT thread is true, not only is the music during the cell animation in Expelled the same as the music in the original XVIVO animation, but Premise is now claiming both that

A) the short XVIVO animation is all over the Web, free for copying for educational purposes (bad enough defense for a for-profit movie), and

B) Premise did not copy the animation in question.

In other words, Premise is saying, "we didn't copy the animation, but if we did it was fair use."

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  16:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Dave:

If what's being said in the comments of this PT thread is true, not only is the music during the cell animation in Expelled the same as the music in the original XVIVO animation, but Premise is now claiming both that

A) the short XVIVO animation is all over the Web, free for copying for educational purposes (bad enough defense for a for-profit movie), and

In other words, Premise is saying, "we didn't copy the animation, but if we did it was fair use."

Sweatin' a little blood, it looks like to me.

I will never understand. What would it take to write an orginal score and, if they had the artists as they claim, do their own, original animation(s)? No need to use any big name$; give some talented newbies a shot. They'll work for reasonable renumeration and be happy to get the credits as well as the job. Failing that, get the necesssary permissions and give proper credit. How hard can it be?

No science, no orginality, no smarts, no ethics nor any hint of class at all in their act. No wonder they're gonna get EXPELLED.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  20:22:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Reasons to Believe is cautious while Ken Ham is all a-twitter about the movie.

OEC versus YEC. Go figure that.

HT: PT

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  20:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I'm beginning to wonder if Expelled will be released tomorrow. With all these copyright violaions, one has to wonder if they may pull it for a "final edit."

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  20:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

"I didn't do it, and nobody saw me," as Bart Simpson would say.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  01:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message

Reasons to Believe is cautious while Ken Ham is all a-twitter about the movie.

OEC versus YEC. Go figure that.

HT: PT
Well of course Ham's swooning over it. As a purveyor of crap himself, he appreciates the finer points of the genre. Evidently, Expelled has lots of those finer points; plagiarism, misrepresentations, outright lies, and so forth. If he loves it, it can't be worth very much.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  04:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Have I mentioned the Law of Unintended Consequences? I must have done because it's so applicable here. From the Panda's Thumb by Dave Thomas:

Ben Stein's Career goes Down the Toilet

I wonder, what will Benny try for an encore? Swallow gunpowder and a lit match a'la Daffy Duck? I'd pay to see that!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/18/2008 05:07:40
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  05:06:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
ICR has had an orgasm! And then, like a whore trying for repeat business, links to an earlier article claiming it to be a review. I suppose it is, of sorts, but one'd think that they'd write a new and in-depth review. I would, but I'm not as lazy as they.

"Expelled Premiere a Hit!

April 17, 2008
Last night's red carpet premiere in Dallas, Texas, of Ben Stein's new movie, Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, brought a packed audience of invitees from the worlds of science, education, business, and entertainment. (And the press was invited, too.) Representatives from ICR included Director of Communications and Executive Editor Lawrence Ford and his wife, Dr. Ava Ford, along with Dr. Patti Nason, Chair of the Department of Science Education at the ICR Graduate School. Executive Producer Logan Craft introduced the film with the announcement that the Expelled launch (opening in 1,050 theaters nationwide on Friday, April 18) will surpass the release of Michael Moore's Farenheit 9/11 and Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth. Read our review of the movie."

I haven't done it (I am that lazy), but a quick goog on the names of the invitees might be enlightening, especially if you can get the complete list.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  05:35:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's "FREEDOM FRIDAY", folks!

This thing is getting to be more fun than a rubber crutch in the Polio Ward.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:02:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
RottenTomatoes now has twelve rotten tomatoes for the film, and one fresh one, from a person who says that he went into the film a "blank slate" and gave it 7.5 out of 10 for being informative and entertaining. He says,
Personally, I don't think either camp's argument is completely on the money and ultimately, the film's message about opening communication between the two camps seems like the most viable solution.
but that just shows how much the movie is a work of fiction, since the two camps have been communicating for over 150 years, now. The fundamentalists aren't listening, and don't plan on doing so.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:22:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message
Pope, do you believe that the angel Gabriel spoke to Muhammad in a cave on Mount Hira in the year 610 CE?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.