Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  09:57:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Seven-minute teaser trailer. The folks at UD are all a-twitter, but forgetting the DI playbook in the process. Of course, Ben Stein does that, too.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  09:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Meanwhile in the real world:

From PT : Texas Education Agency Fires Staffer for Announcing Talk by Barbara Forrest

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  13:58:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
PZ has the offending email.

Insane....

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  21:52:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
F**kers!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  23:08:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
A rewiew of a preliminary screening of "Expelled".

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

rain

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  15:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit rain's Homepage Send rain a Private Message
Define "intelligence".

"...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact period let alone with the words 'Made by evolution.'" - Incredibly Retarded Quotes Refuted

"I'm skeptical of skeptics because they think being doubtful is some magical evidence rather than contentious bias." - me
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  15:58:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Originally posted by rain

Define "intelligence".
Yeah, how does Ben Stein define "intelligence," anyway?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  14:37:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Expelled: not even released, and already a flop.

Look for H.'s cameo appearance.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  10:14:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Orac has discovered the cause of part of this travesty (features Abbie Smith).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  15:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
An example of expulsion - IDists expelling IDists - can be found at Teach the controversy? Or when ID expells… A case of missing links (that's mostly just a gathering of links about what went on - click them).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  20:48:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
The direct link to audio of the PZ Myers-Geoffrey Simmons debate is here.

The station changed the debate topic on Simmon's unilateral request at the last moment, from a defense-and-criticism of ID, to a defense-and-criticism of evolution. PZ was thus placed at a disadvantage from the start. (PZ was, in my opinion, entirely too kind in not blaming the fundamentalist KKSM radio station's jocks and producer for their part in the bait-and-switch trick.) Thus, the debate topic was changed to suit the Discovery Institute's strategy of attacking "Darwinism" while never doing any Intelligent Design science -- or even having to prove that ID is science.

The fundy God-jocks were far from neutral, interrupting PZ at several points, even "correcting" him, but never doing the same to Simmons.

Yet despite the entire playing field being relocated and put on a steep slant, PZ fairly demolished Simmons. He refused to passively accept the new rules, and instead tore into Simmons and ID.

I still can't believe that Simmons (an MD) actually used the "it's only a theory" argument! (I suppose Dr. Simmons doesn't trust the "Germ Theory of Disease," either.)

Also, I can scarcely believe that Simmons would bring up the supposed lack of whale transitional fossils, yet be almost totally ignorant of the amazing amount of recent discovery of just such transitional forms. (Simmons mentions lamely that he'd read a Scientific American article on the subject a few years back.)

And just why the Hell didn't Simmons, who set the topic of the debate and himself introduced the subject of whale evolution, at least Google the subject to get himself a few basic clues? Was he afraid he'd find information that did not agree with the holy scriptures?

Well done, PZ! Let's hope that other qualified evolutionary biologists come forward and take these people on. Some, like PZ, are tough enough in a fight to pull off a victory in a debate, despite the conventional wisdom that scientists should not debate Creationists. Those scientists who can debate well (and only those), should do so, in my opinion.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/01/2008 21:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  22:44:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, the point about the whole brouhaha that's in touch with the subject of this thread is that at Uncommon Descent, a blog entry was started about the PZ/Simmons debate, and commenters there began talking about how Simmons was horrid and PZ made mincemeat of him. One wished that they could just forget the whole thing happened, and shortly afterwards poof, the whole thread was deleted, "expelling" all the remarkably honest discussion going on. (Of course, there was dishonest discussion going on as well, but that's UD for you.)

If the creationists wish to portray the silencing of criticism as a bad thing - as they do with this movie - then they should stop doing it.

Really, for every creationist who's had something bad happen to them due to even a tenuous connection with their beliefs, I'm sure there's at least two cases of creationists doing worse things towards "evolutionists" and the connection is there in black-and-white. Dover parents suing the school board received death threats, fercryinoutloud. Chris Comer actually lost her job.

Meanwhile, Caroline Crocker is the new executive director of the IDEA center after being barred only from lecturing at GMU, and Sternberg still has the unpaid fellowship that he never lost in the first place.

The ham-fisted cover-up attempted at UD is just another example of how far the creationists will go to truly stifle dissenting opinions: they will eat their own.

Expelled should be included with psychology textbooks as a classic example of projection.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  19:52:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"Is Ben Stein the new face of Creationism?"

HT: PZ.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  03:22:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

"Is Ben Stein the new face of Creationism?"

HT: PZ.
I'd love to see Christopher Hitchens take on Nixon's Mouthpiece in a debate.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  13:02:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Getting EXPELLED into Local Theaters - because we all know that being on a top-10 list means you're saying something important.

Except for Al Gore (#4). And Michael Moore (slots 1, 3 and 5).

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.