Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  11:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there features you'd like to see implemented here at the SFN? While we're at work on the code anyway, we might as well add something.

(I can tell you that subscriptions - email notifications of replies to your posts - probably won't be happening.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the main or home page, please allow us to jump directly to the last page of the featured threads.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:09:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

From the main or home page, please allow us to jump directly to the last page of the featured threads.
Oh, that would be good, wouldn't it?

I also think the horizontal lines are in the wrong places in that list.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Double H said! It's something of a nuisance to have to skip to get to where you were last night, especally in a contentious thread.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  14:59:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by H. Humbert

Oh, that would be good, wouldn't it?

I also think the horizontal lines are in the wrong places in that list.

Yes! It looks like it comment belongs to the title below.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  18:57:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shout out the ideas, folks! Don't be shy.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  19:57:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like H.H.'s idea. It would also be convenient to be able to go directly to the point you last visited on a growing thread. A search engine that didn't usually time out without result would be nice, too. (I just now tried it, in an attempt to find my "Alberta Indian" thread, but repeated timeouts are all I got.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  22:34:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A list of the 10 latest posts.

Time, poster, folder thread and the first non-quote lines of the post.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  22:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Starman

A list of the 10 latest posts.

Time, poster, folder thread and the first non-quote lines of the post.
The home page offers the latest seven... topics. Ah, you just want posts. I see.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  00:38:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I like H.H.'s idea. It would also be convenient to be able to go directly to the point you last visited on a growing thread.

Yeah, remembering where you last read up to in each thread would be better than just giving you the last page. Sometimes there's been a couple of pages since the least read message in a thread.

This would be tied to the "topics which changed since your last visit" which would hopefully be stored in the database, rather than on a cookie on a particular machine. (Google Browser Sync solves this last one for me, but it'd still be a nice feature)

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 09/29/2007 00:38:50
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  22:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

A search engine that didn't usually time out without result would be nice, too. (I just now tried it, in an attempt to find my "Alberta Indian" thread, but repeated timeouts are all I got.)
This is a long-term issue, that we've been discussing and working on.

Until we have a solution, I would suggest that you bookmark this Google search results page, and simply change the search terms as needed.

Note well: change the "alberta indian" part of the search terms only, leave the "site:skepticfriends.org" part alone.

Note even more well: Google does not have all of our topics or pages indexed. Google searches miss some things, in a largely unpredictable fashion. What is predictable is that Google will definitely miss very recent content that it hasn't tried to index yet. It's better, but not perfect, with older content.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  23:12:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dave. I don't know why it is that I never think of using Google when I'm actually on the site I want to search.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:10:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this site has too many features which already distract from the discussion IMO.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:40:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like what?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:45:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we really need avatars/signatures/post counts/locations, certainly not pics in sigs, and animated avatars I find rather distracting too. I look through a page sometimes and the signatures take more space than the posts. Everyone wants to stand out, like kids with tattoos.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  14:46:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

this site has too many features which already distract from the discussion IMO.
Wow, you should see Skepticality...

I'm trying to rein in Derek as much as I can, but it's like stepping in front of a moving train.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.