Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  18:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Originally posted by JohnOAS

Originally posted by Kil

Edited to add: some of my bolding tags are not working. I have no idea why...

Coz' you forgot to close one.

Found it. Thanks!

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  03:07:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

I said it and please explain to me why you think “the governments of the world agreed because they had no other choice.”

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/gen.attack.on.terror/
"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror."

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/22/2007 03:10:31
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  03:19:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Here in note 17 of your Wikipedia article about the lack of negotiations in Afghanistan, Kil:

This new evidence came to light on Thurs. 4 Oct., just as the Prime Minister was setting out his case in Parliament. The Daily Telegraph reported an extraordinary story under the heading 'Pakistan halts secret plan for bin Laden trial'. (p. 9)

According to this report, leaders of two Pakistani Islamic parties, the Jamaat-i-Islami and the Jamaat Ulema-e-Islam, negotiated bin Laden's extradition to Pakistan to stand trial for the 11 September attacks. Bin Laden would be held under house arrest in Peshawar.

The first stage of the negotiations was carried out in Islamabad on Sat. 29 Sept., in Pakistan, when Mullah Abdul Salaam Zaeef, the Taliban Ambassador to Pakistan, met with Qazi Hussain Ahmad, leader of the Jamaat-i-Islami, and Hamid Gul, former director of Pakistan's inter-service intelligence agency.

The final stage of the negotiations was in Kandahar, on Mon. 1 Oct., when Qazi, and Maaulana Fazlur Rahman, head of the Jamaat Ulema-e-Islam, met Taliban supreme leader Mullah Omar.

'The proposal, which had bin Laden's approval, was that within the framework of Islamic shar'ia law evidence of his alleged involvement in the New York and Washington attacks would be placed before an international tribunal. The court would decide whether to try him on the spot or hand him over to America.' (Telegraph, 4 Oct., p. 9)

The British Government says that there is no nonviolent way to secure the capture or extradition of Osama bin Laden. But the Taliban have agreed an extradition deal. Amazingly, this extradition deal is reported to have had 'bin Laden's approval'. Admittedly, the deal only guaranteed extradition to Pakistan, but given Pakistan's new role as a US ally in the so-called "war on terrorism", the transfer from Afghanistan to Pakistan should have been a welcome step in bringing bin Laden to trial. Furthermore, the report clearly states that extradition to the United States would be a real possibility under this deal.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/22/2007 03:25:00
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  03:42:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

No offence, but you come off as a far left nutball who sees nothing but conspiracies fed to you by the Pacifica Foundation. You sound like a member of PETA only with a different agenda.

Please don't take that as an attack on you. I am only pointing out how you come off, and not who you are…

I don't know that much about Pacifica. I've listened to Democracy Now several times, but I don't get that much out of it. I have a lot of respect for Amy Goodman, from what I've seen and heard of her. Do you think she's a far left nutball who sees nothing but conspiracies?

I assume by "nothing but conspiracies" you think I've said something somewhere that someone has made out of whole cloth. If that assumption is correct, please provide examples.

As to no difference between Afghanistan and Iraq, I don't know which is worse. I know a little more about Iraq because I've been paying attention to what's happening there since the sanctions began. Afghanistan, however, seems to be a worse example. That is, George Bush went into it knowing that he was risking the lives of millions of people. We'll never know how many died as a result of his quest for empire.

See:

http://www.chomsky.info/articles/20020201.htm

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  09:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Originally posted by Gorgo

I said it and please explain to me why you think “the governments of the world agreed because they had no other choice.”

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/11/06/gen.attack.on.terror/
"Over time it's going to be important for nations to know they will be held accountable for inactivity," he said. "You're either with us or against us in the fight against terror."

So your suggesting here that Bush's rhetoric in a speech actually gave no other countries a choice in the matter?

Iraq was presented as the war on terror too. Did most other countries go along then?

Lets not confuse rhetoric and hyperbolic language with reality.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  09:56:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

The British Government says that there is no nonviolent way to secure the capture or extradition of Osama bin Laden. But the Taliban have agreed an extradition deal. Amazingly, this extradition deal is reported to have had 'bin Laden's approval'. Admittedly, the deal only guaranteed extradition to Pakistan, but given Pakistan's new role as a US ally in the so-called "war on terrorism", the transfer from Afghanistan to Pakistan should have been a welcome step in bringing bin Laden to trial. Furthermore, the report clearly states that extradition to the United States would be a real possibility under this deal.

I can't stop you from thinking that this was a sincere offer. But it defies logic. That bin Laden would approve of an offer that would actually puts his ass in jeopardy does not set off any alarms in your head?

'The proposal, which had bin Laden's approval, was that within the framework of Islamic shar'ia law evidence of his alleged involvement in the New York and Washington attacks would be placed before an international tribunal. The court would decide whether to try him on the spot or hand him over to America.'

In other words, the offer included control over who would decide if bin Laded was to be tried at all, stacking the deck in his favor.

You can look at this offer anyway you want to. What I see is a bullshit offer…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:04:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

Lets not confuse rhetoric and hyperbolic language for reality.

Let's not confuse threats with idle talk:

In comments before the assembly of more than 1,000 delegates, the president warned that some states, "while pledging to uphold the principles of the UN, have cast their lot with the terrorists," alluding to Iraq. There will be "a price to be paid," Bush said.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1114/p7s1-wogi.html

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:08:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

What I see is you making excuses for murderers.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:19:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Gorgo:
I assume by "nothing but conspiracies" you think I've said something somewhere that someone has made out of whole cloth. If that assumption is correct, please provide examples.

Oh, I could do that, but it's more your hyperbolic presentation that makes you sound conspiratorial.

Suggesting that the military approves of targeting civilians is an example of that. Or, that every president was a criminal, and other statements along those line.

Go back over this thread, and even look at the OP for examples of what I am talking about. Saying stuff like; “Crime does not solve crime” is self-evident but in the context that those words were presented, the fact of crime has yet to be established. And yet you said it as though it was.

And just for your information about where I am coming from, perhaps you should know that I belong to a lobbyist group called Peace Action. I donate to them and I generally support the positions they take, at least on a philosophical level…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:22:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

There you go again. I don't agree with you on how sincere the offer was, and I get this...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:29:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

There you go again. I don't agree with you on how sincere the offer was, and I get this...

Bush said "no negotiations." Offers were made, but turned down without a word. Millions of lives were risked, for a goal that has not been achieved, and for a world that is less safe. We don't know how many lives were wasted. Afghanistan's fragile economy further destroyed. Years of game playing by the U.S. part of the cause of their plight to begin with.

This never had anything to do with making the world a better place for anyone but a few.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/22/2007 10:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:33:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
At Peace Action we believe...

that war is not a suitable response to conflict.

Do you believe that, Kil? Yet you support this war, and think that the Iraq war was a "mistake," do I have it right? That talking about international law and trying to change things is "hyperbole?"

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:34:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

Suggesting that the military approves of targeting civilians is an example of that.

Tell me where I said that, Kil.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Suggesting that the military approves of targeting civilians is an example of that.

Tell me where I said that, Kil.

Gorgo:
Let's put aside those stories in the Nation about people we know who do intentionally kill civilians, or take actions that they know will increase the risk to civilians. Let's not talk about the guy that intentionally bombs a building to satisfy some racist longing to kill Arabs. We know that happens, and we know the U.S. military allows it, but let's put that aside.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:49:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Or, that every president was a criminal, and other statements along those line.

Did I really say this? I'd have to see that as well. I don't know that "every" president is a criminal. I'd have no way to know that. I'm not too knowledgable about law, but I sure no nothing about pre-wwII law, so I don't think I'd say that in the context of them having broken laws.

I suppose it's possible I used the term in some way to mean that a lot of them did reprehensible things, but I can't imagine saying that "every" president was a criminal. There are limits, even to my knowledge, believe it or not, and I'd have to take that back if I really did say it, so I'd like you to show me.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.