Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Gorgo

Suggesting that the military approves of targeting civilians is an example of that.

Tell me where I said that, Kil.

Gorgo:
Let's put aside those stories in the Nation about people we know who do intentionally kill civilians, or take actions that they know will increase the risk to civilians. Let's not talk about the guy that intentionally bombs a building to satisfy some racist longing to kill Arabs. We know that happens, and we know the U.S. military allows it, but let's put that aside.

You're telling me that "allow" means "approve?" Did you approve of everything you allowed your children to do? I backed up what I said, Kil. I showed you where they allowed such things. Show me where I said they approve. They do not, at least offically, approve.

You say you can show me where things are made up out of whole cloth, please do so.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  10:59:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

At Peace Action we believe...

that war is not a suitable response to conflict.

Do you believe that, Kil? Yet you support this war, and think that the Iraq war was a "mistake," do I have it right? That talking about international law and trying to change things is "hyperbole?"
As I said, I support the work of Peace Action. But the world is a complicated place and I do not think any one solution applies to each and every situation. For example I have challenged the view of many skeptics with regard to False Memory Syndrome, even though I am firmly in the skeptics camp on most issues.

What can I say? I'm a complicated guy in my own way…

And yes, I think you resort to hyperbole. And I don't think that approach is productive with regard to the consideration of complicated issues.

You can talk about international law all you want to without resorting to hyperbolic language.

If I may, an example of that is how I replied to boron10 when he asserted that we were invited into Afghanistan by the government there…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message

What I see is you making excuses for murderers.
There you go again. I don't agree with you on how sincere the offer was, and I get this...

Bush said "no negotiations." Offers were made, but turned down without a word. Millions of lives were risked, for a goal that has not been achieved, and for a world that is less safe. We don't know how many lives were wasted. Afghanistan's fragile economy further destroyed. Years of game playing by the U.S. part of the cause of their plight to begin with.

This never had anything to do with making the world a better place for anyone but a few.
What I see is you Gorgo making excuses for murderers.

Yeah this is a rhetorical point but a valid one. You're gonna continue coming off as a loony if you can't rein in your hyperbole.

If you think Kil who is fairly left wing and generally critical of the Bush administration is "making excuses for murderers" then that should tell you something about how radical your position is.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:07:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Gorgo:
You're telling me that "allow" means "approve?

I'm saying that you often use hyperbolic language.

And once again, that was not supposed to be taken as a personal attack. It meant as constructive criticism.

I was trying to get you to see how others see you because of the way you present.

You can lead a horse to water…

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:15:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Originally posted by Kil

Gorgo:

And once again, that was not supposed to be taken as a personal attack. It meant as constructive criticism.

I was trying to get you to see how others see you because of the way you present.

So far, you are talking about things that you can't back up, from what I can see.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

Originally posted by Kil

Gorgo:

So far, you are talking about things that you can't back up, from what I can see.
You mean like how other people see you? Okay, I'll drop it. I was only tying to be helpful...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:29:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

If you think Kil who is fairly left wing and generally critical of the Bush administration is "making excuses for murderers" then that should tell you something about how radical your position is.

And you were going to add something to the thread by telling me something specific that I got wrong with information to back it up?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:32:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

You mean like how other people see you? Okay, I'll drop it. I was only tying to be helpful...

Well, then be helpful by saying something meaningful. Give me something here.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message

If I may, an example of that is how I replied to boron10 when he asserted that we were invited into Afghanistan by the government there…

That's cool. You'd like to blame it all on an "idiot president." He was right in his glorious war for the Fatherland, but he just screwed it up. Kind of like Iraq was a "mistake." To think otherwise is to "interpret" the law incorrectly. "We" make mistakes, don't "we.?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:44:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message

That's cool. You'd like to blame it all on an "idiot president." He was right in his glorious war for the Fatherland, but he just screwed it up. Kind of like Iraq was a "mistake." To think otherwise is to "interpret" the law incorrectly. "We" make mistakes, don't "we.?

I'm out.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  13:41:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
And you were going to add something to the thread by telling me something specific that I got wrong with information to back it up?
My apologies your lordship.

So why do you excuse murderers Gorgo? Why do you hate America so much?

You may not like the Neocons but you sure do like their style of discourse.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  16:23:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
That's great, Kil. I appreciate your help. You've shown me that the people who have a problem with me really do distort what I write. It's great, really, the way you exaggerated what I said in order to show people that I really don't engage in hyperbole.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  16:46:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message

That's great, Kil. I appreciate your help. You've shown me that the people who have a problem with me really do distort what I write. It's great, really, the way you exaggerated what I said in order to show people that I really don't engage in hyperbole.
When did Kil do that? I think you're imagining things.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  18:49:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Kil do that?

When did it dawn on you?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  20:06:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
 Moderation Notice 

That's quite enough of that.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.