Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  02:22:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Hey, kids! Come follow along with my self-imposed Lego Challenge 2014!
May the force be with you.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  20:02:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

May the force be with you.
I think I'll need it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2014 :  10:11:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
General awesomeness.

"Powers of Ten" video from 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2014 :  00:31:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

General awesomeness.

"Powers of Ten" video from 1977.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fKBhvDjuy0

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now." --Zaphod Beeblebrox
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2014 :  19:24:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I finished picking bricks from my collection this weekend, and placed a bunch of orders for more.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  18:13:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From your link above.
Immediately, some problems present themselves. For example, I’m not going to pay $783.74 for the stickers for the 18 sets that have them. That’s the current going rate for all the new stickers. I don’t like stickers on LEGO sets anyway, and I’m not going to bankrupt myself buying them.
At that price what's to like? Is it possible you can find them pictured on the internet and print your own, scaling them appropriately to the size you want/need? If examples of them aren't available online, you might find them in real life and get a digital picture of them for the same usage. It's for your own private usage and if your not profiting from doing so, I don't see a foul or legal issue. Good luck with your efforts/fun's successful execution. Printing them with the back ground color of the parts they cover might be the trick to pull it off, if you chose to do so. Just a suggestion.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2014 :  22:14:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The more I think about it, the more I think I have a philosophical objection to stickers on LEGO, or even pre-painted bricks. And that objection is this: they are modelling bricks. If you want more detail than the relatively low resolution that LEGO provides, you should either build your model out of some other, higher-resolution medium, or else scale your LEGO model up so that you can get the level of detail that you want with the standard LEGO bricks.

And again, most of the stickers for the UCS sets are just plaques that describe the ships in movie-reality. Since I'm going to be tearing down the models right after I built them, those particular stickers will be wasted. I've still got my Y-Wing plaque sticker, still stuck to the tiles that made up the face of the plaque. Maybe I'll bring it out of storage for the photos I'll take when I rebuild the model, but I won't be buying any of the others.

Which means my favorite is going to be missing a lot of little details, but they aren't anywhere close to worth the money, or the effort in doing what you describe. Hell, I'm going to be paying at least $80 for just four parts for that one, but of all the models I'll be building that's the one I most want to be correct, just not that correct (I've already decided to buy some internal, non-visible parts in cheaper colors for that model, too). Another $175 in stickers crosses my line.

Maybe, someday, I'll get good enough at this that I can scale up the ship even larger, and put those details in without resorting to stickers. But not this year. I've got enough of a challenge.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  22:49:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all safe for work: there is another LEGO challenge going on. One in which I won't be participating, for at least three reasons.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  05:39:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven minutes of really close calls.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  12:18:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Seven minutes of really close calls.

{shudder}
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  20:41:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stay off the bed.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  19:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never get out of the boat.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  10:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Wow. He got a mantis shrimp. They are badasses. The shark looked like he was just checking him out, really.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  17:20:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Wow. He got a mantis shrimp. They are badasses. The shark looked like he was just checking him out, really.
As one who lives in the Caribbean, where this was taken it looks to me like a Lion Fish. Try pausing the clip @1:07 or 1:08 for a closer look and see what you think. They have poisonous spines and eat other reef fish like popcorn. They are very bad news. Not native to the Atlantic they are spreading fast do to no known predators.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  18:35:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Kil

As one who lives in the Caribbean, where this was taken it looks to me like a Lion Fish. Try pausing the clip @1:07 or 1:08 for a closer look and see what you think. They have poisonous spines and eat other reef fish like popcorn. They are very bad news. Not native to the Atlantic they are spreading fast do to no known predators.
Yeah. Could be. Another badass.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds.