Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  18:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Dave W.

Never get out of the boat.
Wow. He got a mantis shrimp. They are badasses. The shark looked like he was just checking him out, really.
As one who lives in the Caribbean, where this was taken it looks to me like a Lion Fish. Try pausing the clip @1:07 or 1:08 for a closer look and see what you think. They have poisonous spines and eat other reef fish like popcorn. They are very bad news. Not native to the Atlantic they are spreading fast do to no known predators.
Yeah. Could be. Another badass.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  11:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well this is cool.

The Navy appointed its first female Fleet Commander, Vice Admiral Jan Tighe. Bio.

She was recently the Interim President of the Naval Postgraduate School, where she was sent in order to fix some significant budgeting issues identified by the US Inspector General. Article.

VADM Tige is pretty much a badass, and I expect we'll see her moving up rather quickly over the next few years.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  18:06:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Well this is cool.

The Navy appointed its first female Fleet Commander, Vice Admiral Jan Tighe. Bio.

She was recently the Interim President of the Naval Postgraduate School, where she was sent in order to fix some significant budgeting issues identified by the US Inspector General. Article.

VADM Tige is pretty much a badass, and I expect we'll see her moving up rather quickly over the next few years.
Cool! You know her, right?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2014 :  07:31:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the last annual Union meeting, I got renewed as secretary to the local union board. More over, I got elected into the district board as a reserve.

This is good, because it gives me great opportunities to learn more, and to develope a network of contacts I didn't have before.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  12:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My motorcycle has been having intermittent electrical problems this spring. Once I get over 4.5k rpm it starts misfiring. I've been trying to locate the problem, but it's a needle in a hay-stack.
Today I managed to do something which fixed it. Don't know what, could have been one of several things. I pulled all the fuses in the fuse-box, and reinserted them again. None of them looked corroded, but... It's working again.

The bike is running as is should, but it's troubling to not know what I did right. If it starts acting up again, how do I fix it?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2014 :  14:39:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once during the week before last weekend when I took the bike for a spin, the intermittent electrical problem was back again. Very annoying. Back at the garage I continued work over a couple of unidentified connectors in the electrical harness. Found one connector that seemed to be a bit on the loose side. After physically abusing the connectors a little and spraying them with more of that electro-connectivity-spray I have for oxidized contacts, I left to to soak up a bit.

Yesterday when I went for a ride it worked flawlessly. Not once any misfiring at all, except for when I provoke them manually. I love making bangs, and with the carbon-fibre low resistance muffler, the sound is awesome.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  02:22:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I've become a Union representative at my work. The union I'm organised in is "industrial workers' and metal workers' union" (even though I'm an electronics engineer, because I work in production environment) called IF Metall. It's the third largest union in the country.

Anyway, my union is having their national congress* in two weeks, a 4 day event, and my district has chosen me to be an observer at the event on their behalf. I'm excited...

* once every third year.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  08:36:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you who are curious about how electricity *really* works....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFN0wqUIY6o&app=desktop
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  08:37:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I've become a Union representative at my work. The union I'm organised in is "industrial workers' and metal workers' union" (even though I'm an electronics engineer, because I work in production environment) called IF Metall. It's the third largest union in the country.

Anyway, my union is having their national congress* in two weeks, a 4 day event, and my district has chosen me to be an observer at the event on their behalf. I'm excited...

* once every third year.
Awesome!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  14:41:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Reminded me of the Rockwell Turbo Encabulator.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  15:36:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I had no idea!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2014 :  01:42:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I had no idea!
Me neither...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  05:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am putting together a halloween costume based around an old USN officer's combination hat.

I'll be picking up a set of dress whites, shoulderboards, hat band, officer's crest, and scrambled eggs for the bill. I will be picking up a nametag.

There will be four things indicating I am not a naval officer

1) I have long hair
2) I will not have service stripes
3) I will not have any service medals
4) The nametag will have the name OBVIOUS

Yes, I am going as Captian Obvious, USN.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  11:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a busy week. Tuesday evening I was working on getting the safe in place. 135kg (~300lbs) had to be moved this way and that a couple of times before it was in place and bolted to the wall and the floor. No one is going to move it until I decide.
Wednesday morning I helped some security people install the alarm system, which was the straw that broke the camel's back. Ie. my back. I'm off pain meds now and the rest has made it better.

Thursday noon, the leader of Sweden Democrats (a right wing nationalistic party) had a squares meeting in the larger neighbouring town of Örebro. Since I was already there on other business, I decided to attend.
When the racist moron started to speak, I joined almost every one else at the town square in turning my back on the speaker to show silent disapproval of his message. Some people weren't silent though, and shouted boos and 'no racists on our streets!'. A woman a few years older than me was standing a few meters from me holding a sign saying "Yes to diversity <3". The sign didn't have a stick to hold, so she was standing there with her arms raised over her head to hold the sign. Eventually she ran out of strength, so I told her I could hold the sign while she rested a while...
I ended up holding the sign for the rest of the meeting. There were a lot of police there to keep order. At least one guy in a discreet suit and an ear-piece was trying to look as if he was not patrolling the area where the audience were standing. As he passed me he gave me a nod of approval, so I guess he appreciated me just standing there silent an not doing anything else to aggravate the situation. Or perhaps he approved of the sign. I hope it was both...
My arms were weak from lactic acid, but every now and then passing people offered encouraging words or just a nod of approval, keeping my spirit high. I got home two hours later than expected. Most of the people had left when I finally took down the sign and started to leave. A couple of policemen who seemed to be in good spirits waved at me and said in a cheery voice "Done for today?" I said "Yeah, I need to go before my car get a ticket..."
When I came home I felt really good about everything. Even my back didn't hurt much.

Today I voted for the EU parliament. The polling stations close in ~30 minutes, then the excitement begins... Will the party I voted for get enough votes for a seat? I hope so.
Will one of the other parties (the nationalist one) get a seat? I really hope not.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2014 :  15:27:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good going Mab! Sounds like your party might be a winner, given that there were so many people against the speaker for the other party.

Hope your back feels better soon.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.94 seconds.