Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  03:53:57  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Andy Thompson on suicide bombing. Very good. Explains a lot about religion as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuipt15s08c

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  15:29:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've watched the first, am loading the second, and will watch all the parts. This is really, really fascinating stuff! Thank you. "Male coalitional violence." Never thought about it like this.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  16:21:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"We band of brothers."

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  16:41:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

"We band of brothers."
He sure put a new spin on that one. The bastard! Ruined Shakespeare for me!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  01:00:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At a somewhat more sophisticated, hopefully civilized, level; is it possible that there could be corroborative evidence of Thompson's theory right here on the SFN forums?

There is strength in numbers? Are we somewhat "bonded" or "clubbish"? Is the regular, or active group predominantly male? Is there a common religion? Has there been aggressive behavior? Grouping of shared opinion, divisive coalition, "flame wars"?

Has coalitional, largely male, linguistic "violence" taken place from time to time?

Is there possibly any indication of intellectual self-sacrifice to the dictates and requirements of the dogma of critical thinking?

A very provocative video clip!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  01:05:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Is there possibly any indication of intellectual self-sacrifice to the dictates and requirements of the dogma of critical thinking?
You mean like saying "I don't know" or "I was wrong?"

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  07:35:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by bngbuck

No, Dave, that would be intellectual honesty. Have you seen a lot of people here saying, "I apologize" or "I don't know" or "I was wrong?" I haven't.

I need to refer you to Kil's essay on why people who view me in a negative light have done so by distorting my positions. He shows classic examples of intellectual dishonesty that happen here, often by a gang of men.

It's not just men that get things wrong, however, and I'm not sure why suicide is more important an issue than other kinds of murder. You can only commit suicide so many times. You can, if you survive an attack, come back and do it again.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  08:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo:
No, Dave, that would be intellectual honesty. Have you seen a lot of people here saying, "I apologize" or "I don't know" or "I was wrong?" I haven't.

Link from later in the same discussion.

Gosh, it's not everyday that I am used as an example of someone who is intellectually dishonest. I guess I should be grateful that more people haven't caught on to it…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  08:58:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

What do you mean by "a lot?"
I need to refer you to Kil's essay on why people who view me in a negative light have done so by distorting my positions.
This is ironic in more than one way.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:40:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

Yes, that was a part of what I was thinking about. I have to agree with Gorgo that in the limited time (2-3 months) I have been here, I have seen precious little self-deprecating disclaimer from anyone, including myself!

However, I really was referring to what I perceive as a stifling of imagination by the rigid demands (the 'hard work') of critical thought!

Occam prevails, to the exclusion of any other possibilities!

Of course there is enormous value in the application of critical thinking to scientific conundrums. And it is an extraordinary tool when used to break the shackles of the tyranny of religious indocrination, witness Dawkins, et al.

But the apparent aversion of many critical thinkers, Skeptics if you will, to the hypothetical, to "imagine, if you will for a moment..."is evident. Imaginary scenarios seem too unlikely, removed from reality, to capture the attention of many skeptics. We want evidence! To confirm or discredit! Bust the myth or uphold it!

Consequently, to the uncompromising critical thinker, Skepticism does become a sort of dogma, a religion. And the thinking remains largely within the skeptical box!

I see all of the above as precedent to a discussion of Andy Thompson's fascinating thesis and how that thesis might be exemplified in some small way in the psychological and social dynamics evident in Forum discussion. Time for some others to speak up! I do not wish to appear verbose!
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Gorgo:

Gosh, it's not everyday that I am used as an example of someone who is intellectually dishonest. I guess I should be grateful that more people haven't caught on to it…

You did do that, and that's good, but I was referring to this.

Edited to say: I didn't say you were intellectually dishonest. Since you didn't say I was a left-wing nut job who focused on conspiracy theories, you were simply showing how ridiculous it was that some people thought I was like that by showing there was no substance to it.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/28/2007 11:53:37
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:20:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Consequently, to the uncompromising critical thinker, Skepticism does become a sort of dogma, a religion. And the thinking remains largely within the skeptical box!

You mean, those who abuse the name Skeptic. Skepticism is anti-dogma.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is ironic in more than one way.

And YOU, of course, will back that statment up. But not in this thread, please.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 10/28/2007 11:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Gorgo:

But then, you can't be serious in thinking that I was talking about you when I talked about people who never said I don't know, or I apologize, or I was wrong because you can see that I didn't say that.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:46:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo wrote:

Hey, I do that all the time! Wait, I don't know... Okay, no I don't retract. I was wrong. I apologize.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/28/2007 12:01:59
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  11:50:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I apologize.

No, you were the one, dammit! Stop apologizing for not apologizing. This is a pattern with you.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.