Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:32:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

Originally posted by Bill scott

Originally posted by H. Humbert

Originally posted by Hawks
Here's the million dollar question: What do you call it when your conclusion is also your assumption?
Unscience?

A theory.

That would be funny if you knew what you were talking about.

So are you saying that there are zero assumptions in the complete fish-to-philosopher theory?

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:35:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Erm, without testable predictions it doesnt even qualify for 'hypothsis' let alone 'theory'
Bah! It's barely a conjecture and not a very good one at that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Coelacanth who went on at some length about speculations. Well, ID looks to be right up his alley.

Come to think of it..... Nah. I won't go there.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:38:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Here's the million dollar question: What do you call it when your conclusion is also your assumption?
Unscience?

A theory.

So are you saying that there are zero assumptions in the complete fish-to-philosopher theory?
Only gaps in record, Bill. Only gaps in the record. And gradually, as new information trickles in, those conjectures will be fleshed out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:42:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What was it that Hawks said?

What do you call it when your conclusion is also your assumption?
So you, Bill, have decided that if even a single assumption exists in a theory, that means that one's conclusion is the same as one's assumption?

I've seen you twist the language before, Bill, but this is a real whopper.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:56:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote

That's exactly what I wasn't saying.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:01:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Coelacanth who went on at some length about speculations.

He did say this:

In the end as skeptics, we must realise. There is no real knowledge. There is only what is most reasonable to believe.

Well, ID looks to be right up his alley.

I don't believe he ever denied this. His point, if I'm not mistaken, was that in reality, both sides have no real knowledge and only have what is most reasonable to believe. We both look at the same evidence and come away with what we both find as more reasonable to believe. It's all speculation and assumptions. This is why I believe most might take offence when the other position labels their position as "insane." The one doing the labeling is holding onto an assumed position whilst making this deceleration.

I will go ahead and dismiss dude and HH's definition of empirical as being: what is most reasonable for them to believe, as unacceptable.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:08:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I will go ahead and dismiss dude and HH's definition of empirical as being: what is most reasonable for them to believe, as unacceptable.
How has that ever been their definition of "empirical?"

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:51:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

And gradually, as new information trickles in, those conjectures will be fleshed out.

More speculation.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:54:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

So you, Bill, have decided that if even a single assumption exists in a theory, that means that one's conclusion is the same as one's assumption?

What I am saying is that if one assumption exists in the theory then by definition the theory is based on assumption(s). You might give the assumption a higher probability factor over say another assumption. But your just adding in more assumptions to the mix based on your speculations. We have seen plenty of incorrect assumptions before in science that we can point to, and I can only assume we will not be immune from them in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:57:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[i]Originally posted by pleco

That's exactly what I wasn't saying.

Then my original statement stands.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:39:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What I am saying is that if one assumption exists in the theory then by definition the theory is based on assumption(s). You might give the assumption a higher probability factor over say another assumption. But your just adding in more assumptions to the mix based on your speculations. We have seen plenty of incorrect assumptions before in science that we can point to, and I can only assume we will not be immune from them in the future.
It's a real pity you used an assumption there. You might have had an actual argument if you'd avoided assuming anything (even if you could "only" assume).

Seriously, you're doing nothing more here than showing that you obviously don't understand science, Bill. Because no matter what your philosophy, you assume something. One does science, however, by testing assumptions.

Can you, Bill, point to even a single untested assumption within the theory of evolution?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How has that ever been their definition of "empirical?"

Rather then to get into a word game over the definition of empirical let's just say that when someone labels another "insane" simply for not believing verbatim what they believe to be a more reasonable assumption then this is a clear cut sign that one has been indoctrinated to the point of cynic, and IMO borderlines as empirical evidence as far as the claim that the one claiming the "insane" label is in fact an indoctrinated cynic.

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:07:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's a real pity you used an assumption there. You might have had an actual argument if you'd avoided assuming anything (even if you could "only" assume).

That's your assumption.

One does science, however, by testing assumptions.

I never disputed this.

Can you, Bill, point to even a single untested assumption within the theory of evolution?

Since when does "tested" equal empirical? Are you saying that "tested" assumptions have never been found with any fault? I think your going back to my point where I stated that you may want to put a value factor on your assumption based on this or that, but that just adds in more assumptions based off of more speculation and in the end you still have what you believe to be true based on what you believe to be more reasonable. That is your conclusion, which you are certainly entitled too, however, it still does not change the fact that your conclusion is based on assumption and speculation.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:07:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Unscience?

A theory.
No.

Here's how Wiki explains the definition of a scientific theory:
In scientific usage, a theory does not mean an unsubstantiated guess or hunch, as it can in everyday speech. A theory is a logically self-consistent model or framework for describing the behavior of a related set of natural or social phenomena. It originates from or is supported by experimental evidence (see scientific method). In this sense, a theory is a systematic and formalized expression of all previous observations which is predictive, logical and testable. As such, scientific theories are essentially the equivalent of what everyday speech refers to as facts. In principle, scientific theories are always tentative, and subject to corrections or inclusion in a yet wider theory. Commonly, a large number of more specific hypotheses may be logically bound together by just one or two theories. As a general rule for use of the term, theories tend to deal with much broader sets of universals than do hypotheses, which ordinarily deal with much more specific sets of phenomena or specific applications of a theory.
[My emphasis.]

ID clearly does not qualify as a theory in any regard, not by a mile. If you think otherwise, Bill, please show how it does, preferably in more than two words.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:23:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rather then to get into a word game over the definition of empirical let's just say that when someone labels another "insane" simply for not believing verbatim what they believe to be a more reasonable assumption then this is a clear cut sign that one has been indoctrinated to the point of cynic, and IMO borderlines as empirical evidence as far as the claim that the one claiming the "insane" label is in fact an indoctrinated cynic.
I've never seen anyone label you "insane" simply for failing to believe as they do, Bill. That might be your perception, but like with your understanding of the word 'empirical', you are mistaken.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.