Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  10:20:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments, Dave and Chaloobi.

And Filthy.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/01/2007 10:45:14
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  05:42:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a toughie for me. Let me make it very clear that I find Fred Phelps and his inbred family to be just about the most repugnant creatures on Earth, and as a nature photographer I've encountered more than my fair share. There are some people in this world whom I can't stand, and Fred Phelps is at least three of them. If he dropped dead at my feet I wouldn't bother looking down, and if he caught fire I wouldn't bother pissing on him to put it out.

But freedom of speech is also very important to me. What his clan does is spiteful, hateful, and almost beyond comprehension (in fact I wouldn't believe somebody could actually do it if the evidence wasn't so plain), but it's still a free speech issue.

Many of you probably recall the incident a few years ago when another supreme asshole, Bart Sibrel, confronted Buzz Aldrin and called him a liar and a thief. Buzz reeled him with a swift one to his jaw. (Should have hit him harder Buzz, should have hit him harder...) When the sniveling prick took it to court the judge ruled in Aldrin's favour, probably citing that there was a perceived threat or something when it was clear from the video that Aldrin was actually in no danger. Obviously the judge decided to let schoolyard justice prevail, and I have no problem with that. Could something similar take place with the WBC crowd? I don't think that their numbers are enough that a full-blown riot would ensue, and they might get the message. Police standing by should of course act to protect the children that they shamelessly drag along, but if the patriarch of the clan got a picket stick up his filthy ass I for one wouldn't care.

Not that I'm endorsing violence or anything...

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  06:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why did the guy call Buzz Aldrin a liar & theif? Just curious...

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  06:17:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Current wisdom has it that the whole thing will get tossed on First Amendment grounds, but I'm not so sure. If this has been presented as a personal attack, the 1st might not fly.

The ACLU, (my ACLU! ) has defended these skanks before, and rightly so, but I don't know if they are involved in this case or not. If they are not, then the decision might be a good one because they have their 1st Amendment shit down pat.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  06:32:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They can say whatever they want in public, or on the intertubes, or in paid adverts.

But to harass someone's personal funeral...they were allowed to say what they want, now they have to pay for it. Consider it a very expensive advert.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by HalfMooner
[On the other hand, your Swedish laws and police would probably have stopped the bigoted funeral demonstration at the outset, if not before. In the US, suing for money is often the best or only effective way to get justice.

Right now, I can't think of anything remotely similar to the funeral picketing, in Sweden.

If sanity among the population follows the classic bell-curve, then Sweden will have an insignificant amount of people, if any at all, who are as bat-shit crazy as the Phelps-clan, thanks to the difference in population size.

Then there's the fact that the religious are a minority in Sweden. Sweet. You might get a few atheists picketing agnostic funerals, though.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:48:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rat said:
This is a toughie for me. Let me make it very clear that I find Fred Phelps and his inbred family to be just about the most repugnant creatures on Earth, and as a nature photographer I've encountered more than my fair share. There are some people in this world whom I can't stand, and Fred Phelps is at least three of them. If he dropped dead at my feet I wouldn't bother looking down, and if he caught fire I wouldn't bother pissing on him to put it out.

But freedom of speech is also very important to me. What his clan does is spiteful, hateful, and almost beyond comprehension (in fact I wouldn't believe somebody could actually do it if the evidence wasn't so plain), but it's still a free speech issue.

Free Speech involves the government censoring of your right to speak. It is not an absolute right, as there are limits. Like "FIRE!" in a crowded room, clearly not protected speech. Inciting others to commit crimes, also not protected speech. Going onto private property to protest, also not protected speech.

This lawsuit is based on privacy issues. The PhelpsKlan absolutely has the right to go to a public place (parks, streets, any municipal property, etc) and hold up their signs and shout their hate to the skies. They can publish books, websites, and TV programs to their heart's content.

But they don't have the right to force themselves upon private citizens in their private lives on private property. Which is what they are doing by invading the funerals of fallen soldiers.

I think this suit has a solid chance of being upheld. The damages may be reduced, but I thik the judgement will stand.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  09:55:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My ruling is that they were on public property, using their right to free speech based on this, if this is correct:

From 10/16/07 Baltimore Sun

Seven people - three adults and four children - marched on public city property outside Snyder's funeral March 10, 2006, at St. John Church, waving placards expressing their belief that the military's combat losses is a direct result of immoral behavior, including homosexuality, among its ranks.

Members claimed they were on public land at least 1,000 feet from the church. They cited depositions that Albert Snyder said he did not even see their messages on the day of the funeral. Attorneys for the Marine's father have argued he heard about the nature of the protest on the television news later and was traumatized by the experience.

First Amendment experts have said these types of lawsuits often founder because even the most hateful speech is usually protected.

But Bennett said yesterday that Matthew Snyder was a courageous Marine who was not a public figure and so a jury would need to decide whether his family was harmed by the words protesters used at his funeral.

Members of the jury, Bennett said, will need to decide whether the Westboro members were simply protesting a war or "celebrating the death of a soldier" in an extreme and outrageous way that entitles Snyder to compensation.

"The signs did not say 'Get out of Iraq,'" the judge added.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  19:15:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Why did the guy call Buzz Aldrin a liar & theif? Just curious...

The aforementioned Bart 'Shit for brains' Sibrel is the prime arsehole in the 'Apollo landings were a hoax' crowd. He has confronted a number of the astronauts involved and called them cowards and liars. He calls them thieves because he claims that they are taking money from people for talking about something they didn't do.

He is a brain-dead prick who is undeserving of a shred of personal or professional respect. Everything I said about Phelps applies to him also.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Edited by - The Rat on 11/04/2007 09:38:27
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  19:18:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

But they don't have the right to force themselves upon private citizens in their private lives on private property. Which is what they are doing by invading the funerals of fallen soldiers.

I think this suit has a solid chance of being upheld. The damages may be reduced, but I thik the judgement will stand.

If this is indeed the case then I would withdraw my objection. I would also like to be there so that I could invoke my right to turf people off private property.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  19:37:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if they were on public property, the whole thing could be canned on appeal.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  20:30:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say I know the law, but my impression is that what the Phelpses said (verbally, and through their signs) is more the legal issue than whether they were on private or public property. I think that last is irrelevant.

The government did not force a prior restraint upon their expression, and did not punish them afterward. That's proper. But that does not mean they are immune from civil penalty. That which one has a Constitutional right to say may also be that which is deliberately and personally abusive, and which violates privacy of non-public figures.

I have every right to say that NASA never went to the moon. But when I stand outside my neighbor's funeral and tell the world that he personally faked the Apollo landings, that he deserved to die, and that his family put him up to it, I then open myself to civil action. Such horrific slander should not go unpunished.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/02/2007 20:32:50
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  20:59:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have every right to say that NASA never went to the moon. But when I stand outside my neighbor's funeral and tell the world that he personally faked the Apollo landings, that he deserved to die, and that his family put him up to it, I then open myself to civil action. Such horrific slander should not go unpunished.

Yes, this is one of the many things I know nothing about and won't let that stop me from yammering on about it, but I don't think they said that that particular soldier did anything, did they?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/02/2007 21:02:56
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  21:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Yes, this is one of the many things I know nothing about and won't let that stop me from yammering on about it, but I don't think they said that that particular soldier did anything, and if they did, I'm not aware that that what they said did anyone any real damage. It didn't rise to the level of slander. I read somewhere, please don't quote me as I didn't verify this, but I read somewhere that the judge told the jury to consider whether or not a reasonable person would be offended by what they did. What sense does that make? Reason has little to do with being offended, and every reasonable person has differing degrees of being offended, not to mention unreasonable people who think they're reasonable.
Well, in a civil case, the decision is up to the jury. They had to go through all this that we are considering, and doubtless much more that we don't much know about. I think they decided correctly, though your opinion may differ. We'll see if it stands.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  21:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo as quoted by HalfMooner

...whether or not a reasonable person would be offended by what they did. What sense does that make?
The "Reasonable Person Standard" has a long history in law.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.