Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  00:12:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a video that shows how dangerous it can be for Phelps' WBC fruitbats to demonstrate at soldiers' funerals. They were nearly lynched.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  00:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Several of my good friends and I (many vets and military brats, some of us both) have decided that if we ever attend a funeral of one of the many people we know who are deployed in the middle east, and these shitsucking bastards show up.. there will be physical violence and damn the consequences. We'll all claim temporary insanity brought on by grief and the viscious slander of whomever's funeral we are attending. If they try civil action, one of us is a civil trial lawyer who also teaches (PhD level, forget what lawyers call it... J.D.?) law at a TX law school. He'd destroy them in a courtroom.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  01:57:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect I wouldn't be able to keep myself rational and nonviolent in those circumstances. Not that I'd be much of an effective fighter, but they wouldn't be able to just stand there ignoring me as I whacked 'em with my cane.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  02:50:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Gorgo as quoted by HalfMooner

...whether or not a reasonable person would be offended by what they did. What sense does that make?
The "Reasonable Person Standard" has a long history in law.

Here's a piece on fighting words . I think the words have to be particularly against the person involved, not just something that someone else doesn't like.

Evidently, the complaint included insults on the web page as well, which the family felt attacked Matthew Snyder and his family personally.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  16:42:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Originally posted by chaloobi

Why did the guy call Buzz Aldrin a liar & theif? Just curious...

The aforementioned Bart 'Shit for brains' Sibrel is the prime arsehole in the 'Apollo landings were a hoax' crowd. He has confronted a number of the astronauts involved and called them cowards and liars. He calls them thieves because he claims that they are taking money from people fro talking about something they didn't do.

He is a brain-dead prick who is undeserving of a shred of personal or professional respect. Everything I said about Phelps applies to him also.
This guy is for real??? He's so convinced it was a hoax that he's harrassing the astronauts for lying? WTF!

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  16:45:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Here's a video that shows how dangerous it can be for Phelps' WBC fruitbats to demonstrate at soldiers' funerals. They were nearly lynched.

Reap what you sew. They deserve worse.

EDIT: I noticed they were wearing "God Hates America" t-shirts. WTF? Has anyone here who's ever gone to church ever been taught that God is hateful? Being omnipotent, I'd think the Iraq war is a pretty silly way for God to express his hate. One would think god would burn or drown cities or something...

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 11/03/2007 16:47:56
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  03:59:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dunno. In civil suits, all bets are pretty much off. It was a civil suit that nailed OJ Simpson, rather than the criminal trial -- of course, it now looks like The Juice is going to be squoze out of circulation for a while, anyway. Like Dude, I think this has a decent chance of sticking.

And if it does, Westboro Baptist is finished, oh yes. Because then, you see, they'll get hit with a suit every time they open their foul yaps anywhere near any sort of a funeral, if it's only for the family's cat. They'll either shuthefuck up or be spending more time in court than the judge.

And that's the real award this jury gave out. And that's why the soon-to-come appeal will be fought so bitterly.

Hey Fred, you weeping chancre, how do you like it, eh? If the decision holds, you're fucking done! You can take your pathetic family back to the "warm, little pond" amongst the sewage that spawned them, and the rest of the country will scarcly bother to gloat because in the final anyalsis, you have accomplished exactly nothing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  04:35:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The government decides who can sue whom and when and under what circumstances. The government enforces actions of the civil court. That is, it helps them collect the damages. This is what I mean by a government action. You can't sue me if I say, "in my opinion, X is a bastard." The government has decided that, and in that sense, civil suits are a government action. They're not a government action in the sense that the government brings the suit, and I understand that. It is the government that decides that a suit is frivolous. It is the government that provides the venue, pays the jury, decides the grounds on which someone can be sued, etc.

As Filthy said, a lawsuit can limit speech. They are not censoring it a priori, but they are certainly affecting what can be said without fear of reprisals.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 11/04/2007 04:40:26
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  14:12:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just dropped by God Hates Fags -- seems it's has been taken down. Small loss & not much suprise, but I was curious about what, if anything, the site might have to say about it.

Also found this on it:
Members of the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., often picket the funerals of soldiers. As family members arrive to grieve the loss of their loved one, the picketers confront them with screaming, cruel songs and signs saying things like "America Is Doomed."

Shirley Phelps-Roper and her brother Tim Phelps carry on the campaign their father Fred, founding pastor of the church, began decades ago.

"Repent, dummies! The wrath of God is upon you. It's abiding upon you," said Shirley Phelps-Roper at one protest. "America's doomed. Your destruction is upon you."

They do this, they say, because those who die are receiving punishment from God.
I don't know if this crap is protected speech or not. I suppose that it all depends upon context. If it's street preaching, ok, but what about using it to attack someone?

There will be an appeal and Phelps-Roper expects to win it. We'll see.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  15:43:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google last crawled Phelps' site on the 2nd, so one can view the cache of the home page and get teased by titles like "Thank God for the $10.9 Million Verdict!" - a PDF file that Google appears to have missed, dangit.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  01:19:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is that from the fourty-'leven thousand commandments in the Mosaic law only those that have to do with sexuality gets these self-proclaimed 'Christians' aroused.
I'm pretty sure that rules concerning "shaving the sides of their heads" or "what to do when you have a rash" are not being observed by them.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  02:03:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo said:
The government enforces actions of the civil court. That is, it helps them collect the damages.

No, it doesn't. You have to collect anything you win in a civil judgement. The court will not lift a finger to help you do it, except to stamp the documents you bring them to do things like confiscate bank accounts, place liens on property, garnish wages, etc.

The work of collecting a civil judgement is all up to you. If you don't know how then you have to hire another lawyer(or a person skilled in collections) to do it for you.

The court just issues the order that gives you, or your lawyer, the authority.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  03:49:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The court just issues the order that gives you, or your lawyer, the authority.

Right, the state helps collect the money, they don't collect it.

In the small claim court that I was involved in, they garnished wages. I had to find the people and where they worked, but they garnished. I didn't know the extent that they help in other civil suits, but they provide the framework.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  04:34:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you win a civil judgement, and then just go home and never do another thing, you won't actually get a dime.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  05:25:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

If you win a civil judgement, and then just go home and never do another thing, you won't actually get a dime.

Heh, they'll be hard pressed to get a flayed nickle out of Westboro, but really, the money's not all that important. That these louts can be dragged into court and come out a loser is the message.

Funny thing; a large percentage of the Phelps family are lawyers, including Fulminating Fred himself (no wonder lawyers have such a shitty rep). One might think that they planned it this way; a metaphorical bomb shelter of sorts.

Had another thought: What might be the price of winning against Westboro? Do forgive my perfectly natural paranoia, but these are vicious people. They are also a very insular cult, and that's not a reassuring combination. I wonder if some of the Snyder family might suffer an 'accident' or two, sometime down the road.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.