Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  11:36:17  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ID Creationists at the Discovery Institute have taken two beautiful, famous and expensive scientific animations ("The Inner Life of the Cell" and "The Inner Life of a Cell: Leukocyte"), which were made by Harvard University.

Without permission. They cut the animations up, removed the copyright and attribution information, and are using the retitled result ("The Cell as an Automated City") in lectures as if they were their own. Bill Dembski can be seen at the podium, introducing the ripoff video.

DI is using Harvard's copyrighted scientific educational material to try to prove ID's "Specified Complexity" fable, in their never-ending battle against science, scholarship, the laws of the land, and fair-play.

A new low in quote-mining and plagiarism, and the first and only breakthrough discovery ever to come out of Intelligent Design "science."

Abbie "Mean Girl" Smith discovered the ripoff, and let Harvard know. Harvard is not happy, she says. Here's Abbie's take on it, along with the video links for comparison.

What, these honest ID Creationist "scientists," stealing? Who'd have thunk it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/20/2007 23:25:39

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  15:37:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this. Please, please, please let Harvard sue. These dishonest scammers need to be hurt in their pocketbooks.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  15:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I almost got down on my knees and prayed for litigation, just now.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  17:12:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am not a lawyer, but the Discovery Institute, Bill Dembski, and everyone else involved in the creation of this travesety have nothing to lose.

They have no scientific or authoritarian standing on the subject matter of the original film to begin with, so they lose nothing by admitting to blatant plagiarism. Their sycophantic followers will excuse this behavior exactly as they excused away Dembski's farting Judge Jones animation, as they excused his calling Homeland Security on Eric Pianka and as they excused the fraudulent letter from the President of Baylor that appeared on his blog. They're cheering on the ethical mockery that is Expelled, they're claiming that Baptist colleges are run by atheists and they think that Behe's behavior towards Abbie was the height of civility and fairness.

If Stephen Meyer ate a baby on live national television, and later claimed that the materialists made him do it, the fans of the Discovery Institute would cluck their tongues, "that poor man, look at how he's being persecuted for his beliefs." I really think that in the eyes of the believers, they can do no wrong. And to the scientific mainstream, they're already the lowest of the low. This little dust-up will precipitate no changes whatsoever.

Also, plagiarism isn't a crime, and a civil copyright lawsuit over material that's being distributed for free will go absolutely nowhere. At best, a judge will order a "cease and desist" order, but I suspect that the DI would mount a vigorous "fair use" defense because their use is clearly "educational" (cough, cough). Large monetary awards are only given in these cases when the infringement causes a large amount of real loss - but the original is right there on YouTube, generating little (if any) income.

Those who fund the DI already know the real deal, will pay the lawyers to get the least-costly solution to this situation, and then keep on pumping dollars in so that the DI can do some other dispicable thing in the name of Jesus. Man's law is unimportant and embarrassment is temporary - all that matters to the DI is glorifying their God and the destruction of atheistic science.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  17:19:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daily KOS will pick up the story on Saturday.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  18:35:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of good discussion talk at PZ Myers' Pharyngula, too. One comment there:
I hope their legs fall off and they get dirt in their sandwiches because they have to walk on their hands.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/20/2007 18:47:29
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  19:44:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
...but I suspect that the DI would mount a vigorous "fair use" defense because their use is clearly "educational" (cough, cough).
But they can't argue fair use when they maliciously deleted all the copyright and attribution information. It's stealing, plain and simple.

However, you may very well be right that Harvard will decide it's not worth pursuing legally. Then again, Harvard's reputation is the key to its prestige. Who knows, they may protect it pretty fiercely. In fact, I bet they'd be more pissed if Dembski kept the information attributing the video to Harvard. Do you think the folks at Harvard would like to be portrayed as supporting Intelligent Design in any way? I'm guessing not.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  19:49:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, HalfMooner...shall I tell Abbie that you're a dirty old man or will you??

Still, one has to admire the way that she tracks those guys, and it's not in her "job description" either.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  20:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

But they can't argue fair use when they maliciously deleted all the copyright and attribution information. It's stealing, plain and simple.
I didn't say a fair use defense would work.
In fact, I bet they'd be more pissed if Dembski kept the information attributing the video to Harvard.
My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine the uproar if Dembski had introduced it with "this video of Behe's ideas comes to us from Harvard" and then had that horrendous voice-over going? That sort of thing might lead to a successful libel lawsuit against the DI - screw the copyright issues.

Unfortunately, I'm still quite certain that no reasonable award for punitive and/or compensatory damages will put a dent in the DI's activies.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  21:18:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The ID crowd would love this kind of law suit. It would be more fodder for their persecution-complex-constant-whining-rhetoric.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  21:30:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's another good point, Hawks, even if the persecution is self-inflicted.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  23:04:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Still, one has to admire the way that she tracks those guys, and it's not in her "job description" either.
She's well aware of my lust, and laughs at it just as I do. But I'm just one among many. And, frankly, I think she's a tease.

She really is remarkable, though, and has my respect.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:02:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

She's well aware of my lust, and laughs at it just as I do. But I'm just one among many. And, frankly, I think she's a tease.

I guess that means it's up to me, then! (said in loud, over-acted-obnoxious hero-voice) I can at least thank you for making me look righteous!

Where did you get that last picture of her, anyway? Once you answer that question, just pretend that I never asked that. I have my moral reputation to maintain, after all.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Edited by - the_ignored on 11/21/2007 00:07:03
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by HalfMooner

I guess that means it's up to me, then! (said in loud, over-acted-obnoxious hero-voice) I can at least thank you for making me look righteous!
Yeah, well it is nice to know one's better than someone. Glad I could provide a bad enough example.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:26:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do know I'm just screwing around, right? I should probably realize that you're enjoying this banter as much as me, only I've been up for 36 hours and I just realized I can't remember the difference between understated irony and someone getting ticked off is anymore.

(excerpt follows):
>
>

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  00:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You do know I'm just screwing around, right? I should probably realize that you're enjoying this banter as much as me, only I've been up for 36 hours and I just realized I can't remember the difference between understated irony and someone getting ticked off is anymore.
No you MEANT it, you BASTARD.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.