I have a virus!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:35:31  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm shut down until I can get rid of the freakin' thing, so I'll not be around for a while.

I wish I could find the bastard responsible. I'd drag him out of this mother's basement, beat him to death, boil his bones in a pot of molten wheel weights, cast the wheel weights into .452, 200 grain flatnose bullets, load the bullets into .45 ACP cartridges, and use them to kneecap all of his relatives.

See y'all when I get back on line.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try an online scanner...like here.

I personally use Avast for my day-to-day virus scanning here. Plus, it sounds like a pirate!

Hope you cure yourself!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  13:20:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could find the bastard responsible. I'd drag him out of this mother's basement, beat him to death, boil his bones in a pot of molten wheel weights, cast the wheel weights into .452, 200 grain flatnose bullets, load the bullets into .45 ACP cartridges, and use them to kneecap all of his relatives.

(note to self) Never, never, give Filthy a virus!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  13:53:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean a computer virus or a biological one?

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  05:30:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it took my son-in-law about an hour or so to flush the system out like some sort of clogged sewage pipe, and, for good or ill, I've made it back.

And now, let the hunt begin....

On a completely unrelated matter, it seems that the Germans, a very sensible and practical culture, are about to screw the Scientologists, big time:

Germany moves to ban Scientology

Critics of Scientology say its views are too "black and white"
Germany's federal and state interior ministers have declared the Church of Scientology unconstitutional, clearing the way for a possible ban.

The ministers have asked Germany's domestic intelligence agency to examine whether the Church's legal status as an association could be challenged.

Scientology is not recognised as a religion in Germany.

A Church of Scientology statement said the ministers were "completely out of step with the rest of the world".

The attempted ban is "a blatant attempt at justifying the on-going and never-ending discrimination against the Church of Scientology and its members in Germany," said the Church in a statement.

Critics accuse the organisation of cult-type practices and exploiting followers for financial gain.

It is truly heart-cockle warming, isn't it: My computer works and L. Ron's heirs get reamed.

Life is good....

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2007 :  06:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is the relevant law:

Vereinverbot:
(1) Ein Verein darf erst dann als verboten (Artikel 9 Abs. 2 des Grundgesetzes) behandelt werden, wenn durch Verfügung der Verbotsbehörde festgestellt ist, daß seine Zwecke oder seine Tätigkeit den Strafgesetzen zuwiderlaufen oder daß er sich gegen die verfassungsmäßige Ordnung oder den Gedanken der Völkerverständigung richtet; in der Verfügung ist die Auflösung des Vereins anzuordnen (Verbot). Mit dem Verbot ist in der Regel die Beschlagnahme und die Einziehung...

Paraphrasing (Very badly): An association can only be banned if it's goals or actions violate criminal law, or if they are opposing the constitutional order, or if they are opposing the ideal of the understanding among nations.

Guess the last part in particular is aimed at wannabe Nazis.

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Edited by - Halcyon Dayz on 12/09/2007 06:39:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  04:39:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Halcyon Dayz

I think this is the relevant law:

Vereinverbot:
(1) Ein Verein darf erst dann als verboten (Artikel 9 Abs. 2 des Grundgesetzes) behandelt werden, wenn durch Verfügung der Verbotsbehörde festgestellt ist, daß seine Zwecke oder seine Tätigkeit den Strafgesetzen zuwiderlaufen oder daß er sich gegen die verfassungsmäßige Ordnung oder den Gedanken der Völkerverständigung richtet; in der Verfügung ist die Auflösung des Vereins anzuordnen (Verbot). Mit dem Verbot ist in der Regel die Beschlagnahme und die Einziehung...

Paraphrasing (Very badly): An association can only be banned if it's goals or actions violate criminal law, or if they are opposing the constitutional order, or if they are opposing the ideal of the understanding among nations.

Guess the last part in particular is aimed at wannabe Nazis.
Yeh, and from what I've read, the Scientologists aren't all that far removed. Here's Randi's take on their nonsense:
Pending agreement of all sixteen German states, the Interior Minister would be asked to initiate proceedings against the Church, asking that it be banned. A spokesperson for Scientology called this proposal "more than incomprehensible" and pointed out that the European Court of Human Rights ruled in favor of Scientology when Russia denied its application to register as a religious community.

Think of it: Scientologists – including intellectual giants like Tom Cruise, Chick Corea, Greta van Susteren, Isaac Hayes, Kirstie Alley, Lisa Marie Presley, and John Travolta – believe that they have the abilities to fly by mental power, to kill people with thoughts, and to move objects with will-power alone, and that science fiction author L. Ron Hubbard is/was the antichrist. They also believe Hubbard's fantastic version of history – that 75 million years ago, Xenu, the dictator of an extragalactic civilization, was about to be deposed from power, and devised a plot to eliminate the excess population from his dominions. Using souped-up versions of DC8-like aircraft (?) he brought billions of his people to Teegeeack – as Earth was then known, we're told – cleverly paralyzed them, lowered them into Earth's volcanoes along with hydrogen bombs, and detonated the whole mess. Only a few of these aliens' physical bodies, said Hubbard, survived, but the “essences” – souls – of all this vast crowd remained behind after vaporization, and these inhabit people in modern times, causing them spiritual damage. That's what Scientology saves us from, folks.
Idjits!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  06:24:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe every word of the Xenu "Space Opera" stuff. Especially the DC-8 thing. After all, a mere 707 could never be expected to make an intergalactic voyage.

I was thinking: What if the Mafia decided to call itself "The Church of Crimeology," and used Mario Puzo's novel, The Godfather as its sacred text? (Dammit, I might even join such a cool church!) What would substantially differentiate that from The Church of Scientology?

Glad you're back, Fil!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/10/2007 06:39:47
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  06:36:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I believe every word of the Xenu stuff. Especially the DC-8 thing. After all, a mere 707 could never be expected to make an intergalactic voyage.
Yea, I'm glad that there is one religion that is based on science.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  07:29:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I believe every word of the Xenu "Space Opera" stuff. Especially the DC-8 thing. After all, a mere 707 could never be expected to make an intergalactic voyage.

I was thinking: What if the Mafia decided to call itself "The Church of Crimeology," and used Mario Puzo's novel, The Godfather as its sacred text? (Dammit, I might even join such a cool church!) What would substantially differentiate that from The Church of Scientology?

Glad you're back, Fil!

"The Church of Crimeology," would probably be more honest, and certainly more reliable.

Glad to be back, although my son-in-law cautions that all is still not quite right with my box, and he'll give it further attention later on. According to him, the virus was a doozy. Fuckin' computer is the bane of my existance!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Halcyon Dayz

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2007 :  11:44:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Halcyon Dayz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy
Yeh, and from what I've read, the Scientologists aren't all that far removed.

The CoS sued Dutch author Karin Spaink over copyright infringement in 2002.
The court decide against them, and held it proven that Scientology is an organisation that tries to undermine democracy.

The texts previously quoted show that in its teachings and its structure, Scientology c.s. do not shun the rejection of democratic values. From these texts it is also apparent that one of the objectives of keeping OT II and OT III secret is to wield power over members of the Scientology organisation and to prevent discussion about the teachings and practises of the Scientology organisation.
I think that the Dutch government is less likely to ban organisations.
(There is a political party which, quite unconstitutionally, doesn't allow women to be members, and in spite of all the talk about legal steps they are still around.)
They might however think it over if Germany does ban the CoS.
I think the problem is that the CoS has so far avoided giving cause to an in-depth criminal investigation.
Such an investigation IMO would lead to their downfall.

(I met Ms. Spaink before she gained notoriety. I was an impressionable 16-years-old and she was smart and beautiful. I still carry a little torch for her. )

An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it. -- Don Marquis

"The universe is a strange, practically incomprehensible place. But that is how things are, and no amount of wishing that things are really the way we perceive them will change that." - The Black Cat
Edited by - Halcyon Dayz on 12/10/2007 11:46:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.