Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  21:12:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Thanks for the comment. This Scott is a piece of work! His response to a challenge is to babble like a retarded kindergardener with speech impediments. D&K must have the collective patience of Job to endure 1115 posts from this rightwingnut christian crusader!

I'm pretty sure I'm right about Jerome, who is genius exemplified compared to Bullscott. Jerome is driven to beat the system and is a pretty quick learner. He has had success in his personal life and his native intelligence is not lacking. He is educationally challenged, possessing only elements of high school training, but has progressed in ideation and expression skills pretty well without the benefit of much formal education.

He still carries much of the baggage (religion, neanderthal politics, lack of language skills) that most folks with limited educations suffer, but he is determined to learn how to think. And I believe he will in time. Look at Dave W. Not exactly a intellectual also-run by any standards, yet doesn't have a closet full of gayly colored academic robes and mortarboards either.

Jerome has a passion for outwitting Dave after his forced expatriation from these hallowed halls, and when strong native intelligence is accompanied by passionate purpose, usually some goals are met. I would take even money that Jerome will be back actively, with at least the credibility of Bullscott, on these forums long before the end of next year (incognito, of course) How long he can gammon Dave remains to be seen. It is an interesting contest.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  22:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if Jerome's identity isn't discovered right away, his posting style will give him away in the end.

Also, it seems contrary (to me anyway) that a truly intelligent person would continue to pursue sock-puppetry to the extent jerome has and apparently intends to continue. That only indicates an extremely low level of emotional and ethical development.

Don't forget, Jerome was given a reprieve from his first banning. He intentionally chose to ignore the reasons why he was banned and continued on until he was banned again.

So even if he manages to avoid initial detection, any account he creates here is destined for the garbage bin, and it will be put there by his own doing. I'll bet you twenty Ameros on it.

bng said:
This Scott is a piece of work! His response to a challenge is to babble like a retarded kindergardener with speech impediments. D&K must have the collective patience of Job to endure 1115 posts from this rightwingnut christian crusader!

At the risk of speaking for the SFN management, Billscott and Jerome have very different styles. Billscott will argue endlessly over points that he can't rationally defend, but he doesn't constantly engage in the same kind of intentional misrepresentation of other SFN member's remarks as Jerome did.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  02:49:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is what the Hoofnagles as Denialism ahve to say about the 400

Hell, even the IDers can get 700 signatures of other cranks that deny evolution. The global warming denialists barely broke 400, and we're supposed to be impressed?

The list and promoters in from the EPW link is a who's who of climate crankery. Everyone from Lindzen, to Motl, to Singer, to the AEI is prominently cited. As usual, none of these people have any actual expertise in this field.

Some of these clowns used to deny that smoking caused cancer earlier in their careers as profesional denialists.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  06:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, here is something that might be of interest you....

"Robert B. Gagosian
President and Director
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Prepared for a panel on abrupt climate change at the
World Economic Forum
Davos, Switzerland, January 27, 2003

Are we overlooking potential abrupt climate shifts?

Most of the studies and debates on potential climate change, along with its ecological and economic impacts, have focused on the ongoing buildup of industrial greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and a gradual increase in global temperatures. This line of thinking, however, fails to consider another potentially disruptive climate scenario. It ignores recent and rapidly advancing evidence that Earth's climate repeatedly has shifted abruptly and dramatically in the past, and is capable of doing so in the future.

Fossil evidence clearly demonstrates that Earthvs climate can shift gears within a decade, establishing new and different patterns that can persist for decades to centuries. In addition, these climate shifts do not necessarily have universal, global effects. They can generate a counterintuitive scenario: Even as the earth as a whole continues to warm gradually, large regions may experience a precipitous and disruptive shift into colder climates.

This new paradigm of abrupt climate change has been well established over the last decade by research of ocean, earth and atmosphere scientists at many institutions worldwide. But the concept remains little known and scarcely appreciated in the wider community of scientists, economists, policy makers, and world political and business leaders. Thus, world leaders may be planning for climate scenarios of global warming that are opposite to what might actually occur.1

It is important to clarify that we are not contemplating a situation of either abrupt cooling or global warming. Rather, abrupt regional cooling and gradual global warming can unfold simultaneously. Indeed, greenhouse warming is a destabilizing factor that makes abrupt climate change more probable. A 2002 report by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) said, “available evidence suggests that abrupt climate changes are not only possible but likely in the future, potentially with large impacts on ecosystems and societies.”2

The timing of any abrupt regional cooling in the future also has critical policy implications. An abrupt cooling that happens within the next two decades would produce different climate effects than one that occurs after another century of continuing greenhouse warming.

Are we ignoring the oceans' role in climate change?

Fossil evidence and computer models demonstrate that Earth's complex and dynamic climate system has more than one mode of operation. Each mode produces different climate patterns.

The evidence also shows that Earth's climate system has sensitive thresholds. Pushed past a threshold, the system can jump quickly from one stable operating mode to a completely different one—“just as the slowly increasing pressure of a finger eventually flips a switch and turns on a light,” the NAS report said.

Scientists have so far identified only one viable mechanism to induce large, global, abrupt climate changes: a swift reorganization of the ocean currents circulating around the earth. These currents, collectively known as the Ocean Conveyor, distribute vast quantities of heat around our planet, and thus play a fundamental role in governing Earth's climate.

The oceans also play a pivotal role in the distribution and availability of life-sustaining water throughout our planet. The oceans are, by far, the planet's largest reservoir of water. Evaporation from the ocean transfers huge amounts of water vapor to the atmosphere, where it travels aloft until it cools, condenses, and eventually precipitates in the form of rain or snow. Changes in ocean circulation or water properti

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  07:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Senator James Mountain "Jim" Inhofe, Bible-thumping scumbag & liar extraordinair:
Environmental record

Global average temperature measurements over the last 140 years. Inhofe claims that "no meaningful warming has occurred over the last century."Inhofe, former chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, is a strong critic of the scientific consensus that climate change is occurring as a result of human activities. In a July 28, 2003, Senate speech, Inhofe claimed to offer "compelling evidence that catastrophic global warming is a hoax. That conclusion is supported by the painstaking work of the nation's top climate scientists."[10] He cited as support for this the 1992 Heidelberg Appeal and the Oregon Petition (1999), as well the opinions of numerous individual scientists that he named (although most climate scientists, as represented by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), now believe that climate change is an existing phenomenon). In his speech, Inhofe also claimed that, "satellite data, confirmed by NOAA balloon measurements, confirms that no meaningful warming has occurred over the last century."[11] However the satellite temperature record corroborates the well-documented warming trend noted in surface temperature measurements.[12] Additionally, the satellite record begins in 1979 and the balloon record effectively in 1958, so it is unclear what Inhofe means by "last century".

Global average temperature measurements over the last 140 years. Inhofe claims that "no meaningful warming has occurred over the last century."
So whaddya think, Bill? D'ya reckon that maybe Inhofe cherry-picked his Magnificent Four Hundred?

Me, I'd bet on it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/23/2007 07:34:14
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  11:37:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Even if Jerome's identity isn't discovered right away, his posting style will give him away in the end.
Absolutely! And this will be the ultimate test of Jerome's intelligence and skill. Many here on the forums are sharp enough to pick up on Jerome's style in the first couple of one-liners he throws out. If he can't assume a new modus oprerandi as well as new avatars, he will lose every time!
Also, it seems contrary (to me anyway) that a truly intelligent person would continue to pursue sock-puppetry to the extent jerome has and apparently intends to continue. That only indicates an extremely low level of emotional and ethical development.
Oh come on, Dude! Noms de plume have been used by some of the greatest literary talents in history for centuries, and for a variety of reasons. George Sand, O. Henry, Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, to name a few. There are hundreds! Many of these folks genuinely sought to deceive for deception's sake! Jerome aspires to something like this, to write and be accepted by peers, all the time knowing that he is carrying off a deception. At some primal level, this engenders a sense of superiority over those he is deceiving. Irrational, yes, probably immature too, but not an uncommon trait in those who have some form of self-identity problem. Including many great writers. Jerome certainly has not achieved that status ,yet!

I don't see an ethical problem in literary deception, unless the reader is harmed in some way by not knowing the true identity of the writer.
Don't forget, Jerome was given a reprieve from his first banning. He intentionally chose to ignore the reasons why he was banned and continued on until he was banned again
No, I have not forgotten. I told him shortly thereafter that it was just plain stupid to go back and repeat the the very behavior that got him warned. But he is a puppy, and puppies learn slowly from much repetition of testing the fire and getting burned again and again!
So even if he manages to avoid initial detection, any account he creates here is destined for the garbage bin, and it will be put there by his own doing. I'll bet you twenty Ameros on it.
Living up here forty miles from Canada, I could get a quick upgrade on my Benjamins with those Ameros! You gotta take my Liberty Dollars if I lose, though. Best I'll do is even odds!
At the risk of speaking for the SFN management, Billscott and Jerome have very different styles. Billscott will argue endlessly over points that he can't rationally defend, but he doesn't constantly engage in the same kind of intentional misrepresentation of other SFN member's remarks as Jerome did.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that I thought that they were one and the same, or even co-writing. But Jerome is fully capable of co-conspiring with a like-minded, persecuted fundie like BS to jointly create a new avatar, or to persuade Scott to take over a thread that J started. That may have happened in this one, except that Jerome was dumb enough to drop his pants in the very first post. Marf was quick enough to nail him in just a few minutes!

Dave will continue to kick his ass until he learns to adopt a different mind-set and write accordingly. You may be right, he may not have enough savoir faire to pull it off. But I've got a boxfull of Libertys that aren't worth the tin they're made of, and I've got to get rid of them some way. I've gotta say, you're pretty sly to bet me a currency that doesn't exist yet - that's really stacking the deck!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2007 :  17:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng said:
I've gotta say, you're pretty sly to bet me a currency that doesn't exist yet - that's really stacking the deck!

Well, according to some the amero is already being stamped out/printed just waiting for the secrecy to be done with.

Of course, they are the same type of imbecile who believe 9/11 was an inside job, controlled demo, and all that.

A friend of mine, a soon to be PhD cognitive psychologist, sums up the conspiracy nuts very concisely:
the problem is having enough processing power to understand basic facts but not enough to critically evaluate the connections and relationships between facts. I.e., poor inductive logic.

I just call them retards.

bng said:
Oh come on, Dude! Noms de plume have been used by some of the greatest literary talents in history for centuries, and for a variety of reasons. George Sand, O. Henry, Mark Twain, Lewis Carroll, to name a few.

Sure sure... but how many of them were busted, then tried to create a new identity to carry on the same thing? Say nothing of getting busted a dozen times doing it....

But sure, I'll take your Liberty Dollars on the bet

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  08:13:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, bng, the really funny part of this (our bet) is that I can't lose. Even if I end up owing you some ameros, I win. Because Jerome will have failed to be disruptive and trollish if he changes (and, one hopes, learns) enough to actually participate in these forums reasonably and without detection.

I still say I'll be collecting your Liberty Dollars though. Do we have a timetable for this, or shall we just leave it open ended for a bit?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds.