New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  11:52:38  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Sack of Kittens gave no judge worthy answers. Nostradomus style.
See the next post for original answers.

Question 1,
Which countries will be officially renamed, which countries will break up into smaller countries and if you are really psychic what new names will they have.

Orig Intent, Cuneiformist and Dave W
All correctly took the easy answer and said none, stupid easy answers.

Question 2,
Which Atlantic* Hurricanes will,{A} Be the strongest (reach the lowest pressure in millibars) and {B} cause the most damage in cost to North America/Hawaii/Caribbean. Hurricanes from the 2006 or 2007 season which happen in January are excluded.

No one predicted Dean as the Strongest or costliest, No firm data exists for the cost damage to Central America however all indications are that Dean did the most damage in cost, if you can find data which differs please let BPS know.

Question 3,
Determine the surface location of the strongest earthquake of the year (Richter) within 500KM, use place names or coordinates.

Pleco almost hit the 500km mark, judges have agreed to give partial credit.

Question 4,
List at least 5 famous people who will die in 2007, bonuses for people who are not already on their deathbed (Such as the leader of Hezbollah, Sheik Nazrallah) Murdering of your listees will result in removal from the contest.

-Furshur hit with Falwell, and just missed with Gerald Ford.
-Original intent hit with Yeltsin, but is docked a partial point for naming 6 people.
-Halfmooner hit with Lady Bird Johnson, but is also docked a partial point for naming 6 people.
-Pleco also just missed with Gerald Ford (dec 26 2006)

Question 5,
Describe the worst terrorist attacks of 2007, thwarted attacks do not count. Nor 'Terror' attacks by military forces such as Israel/Hezbollah.{A} Most Deaths{B} Most Damage, cost{C} Location and Targets

Judges agree that no answers are detailed enough to be considered correct. Again a poorly worded question on my part as the cost determination is most difficult, apologies to all. The questions will be appropriately modified for next years contest.

Question 6,
Name the highest Grossing Film released in 2007 for worldwide box office numbers as reported by www.Boxofficemojo.com Here is a list of scheduled movies for 2007

Furshur, Pleco and Antigone all correctly picked Pirates of the Carribean

Question 7,
The price of a barrel of oil in NYC on the morning of JAN 1, 2008.(WTI price) all listed in USD$

No one came within 12$, Antigone was closest, and no one went over the actual of 95.98$

Question 8,
Pick three stocks which will increase in value 5% or more for the year of 2007. Please use the name/symbol and stock index it can be found on if possible.All prices are USD$

Even though I am the Official SFN Financial Genius I gotta give this one to Dave because all three of his stocks are over 5%+

BigPapa: Priceline(pcln){@ 42.95}, {close @ 114.86,+167.4%}
Nintendo(ntdoy){@ 32.40},{close @ 74.05,+128.5%}
XmSat(xmsr){@ 14.75},{close @ 12.24,-17%}
Return on 1000$ investment of each:$+2789

Dave W: Google(goog){@ 466.0},{close @ 691.48, +48.8}
Ibm(IBM){@ 97.20}, {close @108.10, +11.2%}
Exxon(xom){@ 76.28}, {close @93.69, +22.8%}
Return on 1000$ investment of each:$+828

Original Int: SiriusSat(siri){@ 3.77}, {close @3.03, -19.6%}
USsteel(x){@ 72.70}, {close @120.91, +66.3%}
*Third pick disqualified by judge majority vote
Return on 1000$ investment of each:$+467

Valiant D: Microsoft(msft){@ 29.90},{close @ 35.60, +19.1%}
AT&T(t){@ 35.65}, {close @41.56, +16.6%}
Boeing(ba){@ 88.95},{close @87.46, -1.7%}
Return on 1000$ investment of each:$+340

Hawks: Ibm(IBM){@ 97.20}, {close @108.10, +11.2%}
Microsoft(msft){@ 29.90},{close @ 35.60, +19.1%}
42Below(ftbof){@0.47}, {no change}
Return on 1000$ investment of each:$+303

Cuniformist: Pfizer(pfe){@ 26.15

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  11:53:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question 1,
Which countries will be officially renamed, which countries will break up into smaller countries and if you are really psychic what new names will they have.

Valiant d-Gambia will be renamed to Banjul. In addition Annobon will declare independance from Equatorial Guinea.
BPS- Puerto Rico will join the US as the 51st state and Iraq will break into three semi-autonomous states, Kurdistan, Bosra and Mosul.
Sack of kittens- Vague quatrain for all answers
Furshur- Sudan will break into 2 countries.
Pleco- Northern Iraq will become Kurdistan. Palestine will exists using parts of gaza and israel.
Orig Intent- None, but get ready for a wild 2008
Cuneiformist-none/none
Dave W-none-none
Hawks- Fiji will become Fushall.Halfmooner- Turkmenistan will be renamed Niyazovstan and/or Niyazovia. But this name will only last a few months. Myanmar will return to being called Burma. Iraq- north, Kurdistan, -center, Iraq, south- either the Iraq or Basrah Province of Iran.
Antigone- Poor Africa, you will suffer and your countries will suffer. Lines drawn by others shall be erased, but the new lines created will be in blood. No ocean touches those countries destroyed, but new oceans will be created with the blood of those new lines.

Question 2,
Which Atlantic* Hurricanes will,{A} Be the strongest (reach the lowest pressure in millibars) and {B} cause the most damage in cost to North America/Hawaii/Caribbean. Hurricanes from the 2006 or 2007 season which happen in January are excluded.

Valiant d - Gabrielle will have this distinction, pressure readings will be in the 930 mb range. Jerry will cause the most damage in Florida.
Bps- Felix will reach 915mb and also cause the most damage...primarily to Florida
Furshur- Jerry will be the strongest hurricane but Olga will cause the most damage.
Pleco- Strongest = Karen, Most Damage = Karen
Orig. Intent- Gabrielle Will do the most damage. Olga will be the stongest.
Cuneiformist- {A} Hurricane Jerry; {B} Felix
Dave W- Chantal will be the strongest, but Erin will cause the most damage.
Hawks- Greta for both.
Halfmooner- Felix is the answer to both questions. He's eyeing Miami. class five and he'll utterly devastate that city, hitting it, going back to sea, then hitting it twice more.
Antigone- Gabrielle and Noel will be severe, no doubt. Zealots will claim biblical prophecy due to their vengence. But Olga will not pass by without taking its full share of the people's economy and Ingrid will prove to have been the strongest. Cape Fear will face its own name.

Question 3,
Determine the surface location of the strongest earthquake of the year (Richter) within 500KM, use place names or coordinates.

Valiant d -300 klicks WSW of Medan, Indonesia, strength 7.3Bps - 50KM east of Istanbul
furshur- Tabriz, Iran
Pleco- 175 miles east north east of the coast of Sumatra (near the city of Medan).
Orig. Intent- On the equator, 130 degrees E.
Cuneiformist- 35oN 68oE will have the strongest quake in 2007
Dave W- Tokyo, Japan.
Hawks- Hastings, New Zealand.
Halfmooner- Wuhan, China.
Antigone- But at 9.2 Palau and the Ocean will shake. Yours will be the strongest, though not as deadly as the old and new Rome's 7.1 and 8.3.

Question 4,
List at least 5 famous people who will die in 2007, bonuses for people who are not already on their deathbed (Such as the leader of Hezbollah, Sheik Nazrallah) Murdering of your listees will result in removal from the contest.

Valiant d -1) Mickey Rooney, 2) George Takei, 3) Martin Landau, 4) Abe Vigoda, 5) Billy Graham
Bps- Michael Jackson, Bob Barker, Joe Paterno, Dick Cheney and Kim Jong Il.
Furshur- . Kirk Douglas, Gerald Ford, Nancy Regan, Jerry Falwell, Sylvia Browne
Pleco- ) Bin Laden, 2) Dick Cheney, 3) Keith Richards, 4) Steven Hawking, 5) Gerald Ford
Orig. Intent- Jim Nabors, Joe Walsh, Jimmy Carter, Yelstin or Gorbachev... I can't see clearly which....., Twiggy
Cuneiformist- Fidel Castro, Gerald Ford (of only he could have held out for a few more days!), Bob Dole, Elizabeth Taylor, John Updike, and Margaret Thatcher will all die in 2007
Dave W- Paul Reubens, Brittney Spears, Lee Ving, Marlee Matlin and Arnold Palmer.
Hawks- Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Helena Bonham Carter, Robbie Coltrane.
Halfmooner- Lady Bird Johnson, Kirk Douglas, Billy Graham , Charlton Heston, Tony Curtis, Tom Cruise
Antigone- God's new prophet Walsch, Prince Harry, Castro, The Pope, Hawking

Question 5,
Describe the worst terrorist attacks of 2007, thwarted attacks do not count. Nor 'Terror' attacks by military forces such as Israel/Hezbollah.{A} Most Deaths{B} Most Damage, cost{C} Location and Targets

Valiant d -Iraqi insurgents will kill 100 near Tikrit, Iraq 3 will be US servicemen.
Bps- The crowd at the Tour de France will be attacked by a suicide bomber but the most damage will come from a truck bombing in South London.
Furshur- Most deaths - Sri Lanka by the Tamil Tigers, Highest cost - American embassy Iraq
Pleco- a) Bagdad (at least 200 dead), b) Southern Iraq - pipeline or refinery attacked costing millions
Orig. Intent- The chunnel between Britain and France.
Cuneiformist- An attack on the Abqaiq refinery in Saudi Arabia will kill over 200 people. The physical damage of the attack will be small-- less than a million dollars, but the overall economic impact of the loss of oil will reach into the hundreds of millions.
Dave W- This is way too fuzzy. The most deadly and most damaging attacks will not be the same, but they'll both be in Iraq.
Hawks- Movie premiere of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" for all
Halfmooner- Natural gas tanker blown up in Singapore, with the most deaths, damage, and costs. 15 major terrorist attacks will be thwarted, but only the partially foiled attempt to topple the huge Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) statue in Rio will be public knowledge, due to its location and extensive superficial damage.
Antigone- Vesuvius will not be the only cause for blood for the old Rome.And the forgotten god's of Greece shall not be the only ones to shake the old and buried streets and centers of the new Rome. No, Italy and Turkey will suffer many things from the hands of man and the shaking of the earth.Will the bells toll?But new weapons deadlier and not as loud will be our shock and awe. They were warned, but were the people? And again in Egypt and Jordan people cry. Though other cries from across the water will be loudest of them all. Will the bells toll?

Question 6,
Name the highest Grossing Film released in 2007 for worldwide box office numbers as reported by www.Boxofficemojo.com Here is a list of scheduled movies for 2007 http://www.movieweb.com/movies/releases/year.php?2007

Valiant d -Highest grossing film, Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer
Bps- Spiderman3 will do 780Million WW boxoffice.
Furshur- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Pleco- Pirates of the Carribean
Orig. Intent- Spideman 3Cuneiformist- Spiderman 3
Dave W-Dallas
Hawks- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Halfmooner- Spider-man 3.
Antigone-#1-Pirates #2/3-Potter-Hannibal

Question 7,
The price of a barrel of oil in NYC on the morning of JAN 1, 2008.(WTI price) all listed in USD$

Valiant d -65.33
Bps- 62.01
Furshur- 78.42
Pleco- 76.87
Orig. Intent-40.00
Cuneiformist 78.23
Dave W-75.42
Hawks-65.50
Halfmooner-58.50
Antigone-82.02 or 80.40

Question 8,
Pick three stocks which will increase in value 5% or more for the year of 2007. Please use the name/symbol and stock index it can be found on if possible.All prices are USD$

Valiant d -Microsoft (MSFT @$29.90), AT&T (T @$35.65), 3) Boeing (BA @$88.95)
Bps- Priceline.com (PCLN @$42.95) Nintendo (NTDOY @$32.40), XM satellite (XMSR @$14.75) and Sirius Satellite(SIRI @$3.77)Radio, these two will merge and leave a higher valued XM
Furshur- Advanced Micro Devices, (AMD @$20.20), General Motors, (GM @$30.40), Corning Inc., (GLW @$18.95)
Pleco- Google (GOOG @$466.0), Vonage (VG @$6.99), Sirius (SIRI @$3.77)
Orig. Intent- (SIRI @$3.77) ( TUG??NOT FOUND, assigned TYCO @$30.50 by BPS), (X @$72.70)
Cuneiformist- Pfizer (PFE @$26.15); Lockheed Martin (LMT @$91.60); Viacom (VIA @$41.1)
Dave W- Google (GOOG @$466.0), (IBM @$97.20) and Exxon/Mobil (XOM @$76.28).
Hawks- (IBM @$97.20), Microsoft (MSFT @$29.90), 42 Below (FTOBF @$0.47?? –data not available).
Halfmooner- Advance Micro Devices, (AMD @$20.20), (TIVO @$5.15), Playboy, (PLA @$11.50)
Antigone- The optimistic questioners will see how those who assume pay the most. They will see the real question should have been the reverse. They will ask, "Will the bells toll?" (Is this a prediction that the markets will be shut down? –BPS)

Question 9,
Which Video Game System will have the largest worldwide hardware sales numbers for the year of 2007? Xbox360, PS3, PS2, PSP, NintendoDS, Nintendo Wii.

Valiant d -Xbox360
Bps-Wii
Furshur- PS3
Pleco- PS3
Orig. Intent- Xbox360
Cuneiformist-PS3
Dave W-PS3
Hawks-Xbox360
Halfmooner-Xbox360
Antigone- Xbox 360

Question 10,
Show us your psychic skills and predict something which nobody would expect. Judges will determine the difficulty of your predictions and worthiness of your answers. 0-5 points possible.

Valiant d -Rove will be indicted as an al-Queida spy.
Bps- Mt Reineer will erupt and cause a devestating lahar
Furshur- The STEREO satellite will reveal that the sun has a solid surface.
Pleco- Coulter will quote the ABC movie "Path to 9/11" in a book or column at least once.
Orig. Intent- I predict that the UK, (maybe France), and Germany expell illegal immigrants of Middle-Eastern countries.
Cuneiformist- The Baltimore Orioles will in the 2007 World Series
Dave W- With the aid of prison staff, Kent Hovind will escape from custody, and flee to South America.
Hawks- Jenna Bush will appear in a video a la Paris Hilton.
Halfmooner- The first extrasolar terrestrial planet with detected oxygen (and likely life) is discovered, though controversies surrounding the discovery will remain for some months.
-An obscure Finnish company will demonstrate a working prototype secondary (rechargeable) electric battery based upon a practical aluminum-air chemistry. This battery will promise and eventually deliver, a light, environmentally safe, high-capacity, and inexpensive accumulator that will rapidly spell the end of the internal combustion engine in most applications.
Antigone- This will be the year the world will see just how desperate the leader of the North is. Above the famed 38th parallel he will start. Below it he will not finish.
In the Pacific old land will be swallowed up as new land rises above the waves. Though this is not uncommon, everyone will know about it.
As the world makes ground-breaking discoveries and advances in physics(as related to the Universe)and medicine this year, it will not be as talked about as it would be any other year due to the sons and daughters of Aeneas crying out for help.
Darwin would cry a million tears if he could see what is done to his islands. Though not as many as the people who live on the top of the world. Shame on the people who destroy the earth ...
Three times people will sit in wait and ask, "Will the bells toll?"
This is the only link between them. Only time can tell of its meaning.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  12:45:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a judge, I tried to recuse myself, but I suppose I was out-voted by other judges.

Don't know where that extra 0.25 points came from, I had myself in a dead heat with furhur.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave, I think I came in second because I lost so much money in my stocks that I couldn't pay anybody off.

I am really good at picking loser stocks. If there is anyone who likes to short stocks give me a call and I'll help you out.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:19:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nononono. By my calculations, you and I both had scores of 2.00, and so were tied. Someone (and I don't know who) is giving me an extra quarter-point.

Maybe BPS just doesn't want to hand out two prizes that don't suck.

Anyway, we clearly suck, because by my count, there were 21 possible points. We only got 9.5%.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:31:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Twas I who gave out the phantom point, however If you want to nitpick, 5 points should be awarded for each correct movie answer and five for the stock pick, five for question#1 and so on, since I was still smoking crack at the time I wrote it.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  13:50:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, hell, go ahead and rescore it as you intended.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  16:57:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BPS,

I scored
Pleco - 2.25 partial point for Coulter
Dave W and Furshur tied with 2
Ori Intent - 1.83
Mooner - .83

I'm missing a couple.

Everyone else - bubkiss.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Pleco only got Pirates of the Carribean and a fraction for Coulter. How's that rate 2.25?

Edited to add: and a partial for the earthquake.

BPS: next year's should require no judging, like the Million Dollar Challenge.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  06:26:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm on top of it, for 08 each question has set value which can be calculated by anyone...

With the originally worded scoring I get this,

Q1: Dave, Cuni, OI: 5 points each
Q2: no hits
Q3: no hits
Q4: Furshur: 1 point, Oi: 5/6 point, HalfM:5/6 point
Q5: no hits
Q6: Furshur, Pleco, Antigone:5 points each
Q7: no hits
Q8: Dave: 5 points, BPS: 3 points, Cuni, hawks, VD: 1 point each, OI: 1/2 point
Q9: no hits
Q10: Pleco: 1/2 point.

With the tally,
Dave: 10
OI: 6.33
Furshur: 6
Cuni: 6
Pleco: 5.5
Antigone: 5
Bps: 3
Hawks: 1
vd: 1
mooner: 5/6

So like it or not you are getting your awesome prize package and don't forget to have your pets spayed or neutered!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  09:46:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHAT!?! I dropped down to third place? I thought it was a tie for first place!!
I think we need an independent 3rd party to help with the tally.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  10:57:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, you are right Furshur I gave two partial points which were not outlined in the rules to OI, technically you could claim a tie for 2nd, due to hanging chads.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  13:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

So like it or not you are getting your awesome prize package...
Okay, okay...

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  09:02:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally sigged by BigPapaSmurf

Congrats to Dave W. for winning the 2007 Contest. For his trouble Dave won this prize package:
Penn & Teller's BullSh!T: season 1
Paycheck and other stories: by Phillip K Dick
Nightmare Alley: by William Gresham (used: book out of print)
Lies My Teacher Told Me: by James Loewen
and a nifty little metal puzzle, the finest small puzzle design Ive seen.
Holy cow! That really is a prize that doesn't suck.

But I'm getting an "I've been cleaning out my attic" sorta feel from it. Can't wait to see it. Will these items smell all musty?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  11:09:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah Its all new except the Nightmare Alley book which took me forever to find.

There is no way in hell I would part with my copies of Paycheck or Lies

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  22:12:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the prize package today, thanks!

The puzzle is already kicking my ass. How am I supposed to get any work done now?!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds.