Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:15:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So I don't understand your advocacy of Nader, if it extends to an intention to vote for the man. Why not just vote for McCain, who has at least a chance of getting elected?

I didn't say I was advocating anyone. My biggest problem is the insults and lack of thinking when it comes to vilifying Nader. Why did he have an obligation to make sure Gore or Kerry got elected? Sure, maybe I'm, to put it in terms Dude can understand, an asshole for voting for Nader and then Kerry. But why should Nader feel guilty because Gore and Kerry couldn't run their own campaigns? Besides that, Gore won the election! Fine. Take the win and go. Why blame Nader for your faults? I would not have voted for Gore had I not voted for Nader. He didn't steal my vote. Many people came out to make sure that they voted for Gore because Nader was in the mix. Many Democrats voted for Bush, and many Republicans voted for Nader.

If I vote for Nader, that is a vote for Nader, not a vote for someone else.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  13:12:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Gorgo.....

You are a dreamer, an idealist, not a political realist.

Here's the political reality. Maybe I shouldn't speak to you, because maybe you're in the upper 1 percent class. If you are, then continue to send your millions to the demopublicans.

Worker's rights will continue to erode, ethnic cleansing and murder and poverty will be a priority for Dude's heroes, and you'll continue to call yourselves "pragmatic" and think you're wise for using words like "loathe" and "asshole" and "douchebag" when you're talking about people who are attempting to improve something.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  14:45:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
gorgo said:
Worker's rights will continue to erode, ethnic cleansing and murder and poverty will be a priority for Dude's heroes, and you'll continue to call yourselves "pragmatic" and think you're wise for using words like "loathe" and "asshole" and "douchebag" when you're talking about people who are attempting to improve something.

Listen fuckwit. Get down off your little pity pedestal and stop being a self-righteous asshole. Stop making personal statements that are designed only to piss people off.

Ralph Nader isn't trying to improve anything except his own bank account at this point. He made no difference in 2004, his candidacy in 2000 resulted in a Bush regime for 8 years, and his candidacy in 2008 doesn't do shit except increase the odds of having a president who is the farthest away from Nader's ideals of any candidate out there.

I'm sorry you are so wrapped up in your own self righteous pity and delusional worldview that you are willing to let Nader help the republicans win again.

Nader has become an asshole and a douchebag worthy only of ridicule and loathing. Because he, like you, is unwilling to accept responsibility for the consequences of his actions.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  15:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

gorgo said:

Listen fuckwit. Get down off your little pity pedestal and stop being a self-righteous asshole. Stop making personal statements that are designed only to piss people off.

Ralph Nader isn't trying to improve anything except his own bank account at this point. He made no difference in 2004, his candidacy in 2000 resulted in a Bush regime for 8 years, and his candidacy in 2008 doesn't do shit except increase the odds of having a president who is the farthest away from Nader's ideals of any candidate out there.

I'm sorry you are so wrapped up in your own self righteous pity and delusional worldview that you are willing to let Nader help the republicans win again.

Nader has become an asshole and a douchebag worthy only of ridicule and loathing. Because he, like you, is unwilling to accept responsibility for the consequences of his actions.

The consequences of his actions is that he went in the hole, and he showed some of us just how corrupt the system that you support is.

The consequences of your actions is that few people of merit will go against the Democrat-Republican machine.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  16:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A snippet from King Ralph by Kaplan: "the illegal occupation of Palestine,"

We are in a struggle for our civilization against Muslim jihadists. Nader blames all the problems in the Middle East on American foreign policy; we do not need this attitude in the White House. If you all think fundamentalist Christians are a problem, start reading websites like the "Religion of Peace." Christians will annoy you, but they will not cut your head off.

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Edited by - Pelayo on 02/25/2008 16:53:12
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  17:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pelayo said:
Christians will annoy you, but they will not cut your head off.

History disagrees with you.

We have fought and bled for over 200 years to keep the government of our own country free from religion, and we are losing that fight at the moment.

A widely popular candidate this election cycle, Huckabee(who doesn't accept the fact of evolution), has openly declared that he wants to change the constitution to bring it in line with "god's word".

But your post misses the point of this thread. Nader will never be president, and the consequences of his candidacy only help the republican candidate. He can't put his agenda up for consideration, he isn't going to build a political movement by jumping in at the last moment (bypassing the four years of work the other serious candidates have put in).

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  17:52:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Pelayo

A snippet from King Ralph by Kaplan: "the illegal occupation of Palestine,"

We are in a struggle for our civilization against Muslim jihadists. Nader blames all the problems in the Middle East on American foreign policy; we do not need this attitude in the White House. If you all think fundamentalist Christians are a problem, start reading websites like the "Religion of Peace." Christians will annoy you, but they will not cut your head off.

Could we have a source where we could learn more about how Nader "blames all the problems in the Middle East on American foreign policy," please?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  18:02:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as Gorgo pisses me off... I have to join him in asking for a source on that.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  18:47:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sources, I had no idea I was joining a research think tank.

Naders assertion that US foreigh policy is to blame for Middle East problems was something I heard him say on a Sunday morning talk show sevaral years ago. In that piece, he linked our support of Israel to problems with the other Middle East countries.

Here he lambasts Bush for allowing Israel to invade Lebanon:

http://www.arabamericannews.com/newsarticle.php?articleid=6107

LGF has a short piece about Nader claiming that Israel is the puppeteer for US foreign policy:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=11555

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  20:26:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, when you make a sweeping statement like "Nader blames all the problems in the Middle East on American foreign policy", you are going to have to back it up.

It is exactly this kind of misrepresentation that clouds honest debate about political issues and politicians.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  20:31:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warning Official Warning Warning

Gorgo and Dude: take a pause from this thread, please.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  21:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sources, I had no idea I was joining a research think tank.

Naders assertion that US foreigh policy is to blame for Middle East problems was something I heard him say on a Sunday morning talk show sevaral years ago. In that piece, he linked our support of Israel to problems with the other Middle East countries.

Here he lambasts Bush for allowing Israel to invade Lebanon:

http://www.arabamericannews.com/newsarticle.php?articleid=6107

LGF has a short piece about Nader claiming that Israel is the puppeteer for US foreign policy:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=11555

All this seems different than saying Nader "blames all the problems in the Middle East on American foreign policy," wouldn't you say?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I regret that I can't find a tape of a Nader appearence on TV from the mid-nineties. I have been duly chastized, and I will agree that I did make a statement that we can catalog as hearsay.

From this page http://www.democracynow.org/2007/7/9/ralph_nader_on_the_candidates_corporate about 2/3 of the way down we find this:

"You pursue a policy against terrorists with state terrorism. You pursue a policy against terrorists and expand the number of terrorists. I mean, this should be a concept that could be easily enveloped by the limited mind of George W. Bush."

I also believe that Nader is suscebtible to believing in conspiracies.

Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Pelayo said:
Christians will annoy you, but they will not cut your head off.

History disagrees with you.

We have fought and bled for over 200 years to keep the government of our own country free from religion, and we are losing that fight at the moment.

When is the last time Christians killed 3000 people in one day and used Biblical texts to justify the deed?

It's one thing to be an atheist and a skeptic; it is another thing to allow one's dislike of Christians to cloud their world view. Christians are not the real problem right now.

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  23:49:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christians are not the real problem right now.
Depends what you consider the "real" threat to be. What's more likely to directly impact the average citizen? Christians who use the fear of an Islamic terrorist attack to seize political power, pass draconian laws, take away the rights of citizens, and disenfranchise anyone who doesn't share their religious faith--or an actual terrorist attack?

We here are not blind to the very real threat that radical Islamic terrorists pose. However, even so, I think considering them the only "real" threat to be concerned with is extremely naive. Right now, it is extremist Christian elements which pose the greatest threat to the continued character of my nation.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.