Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  17:55:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This just in:

What do you do when there is nothing blowing in the wind, not even the answer:

Link

Edited to fix overly long link.

Kil

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  19:30:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaloobi and Dr. Mabuse.....

Except the orbit-to-earth beam may be affected by weather, depending on what frequency is used for the transmission.

Some of your previous posts suggest familiarity with the principles of electrical power distribution. Is it your speculation (like Dave's) that some advanced form of UHF to GHF microwave generation and beam focused transmission to a rectenna area would be as, or more, practical to develop as the metallurgical molecular manipulation necessary to create a sufficiently conductive metal (or carbon composite) material to fabricate the enormously strong cable (tether) necessary to support the weight of it's several hundred miles of length?

I have read most of the wikilinks to these concepts, they all leave one with an impression of very early technological therorization of these kind of solar power projects, ending in the '90's.

Do you, or anyone, have any knowlege of recent serious work on long distance wireless power transmission or geosynchronous satellite-earth tethering with carbon nanotube power transmission cables?

These are indeed exciting engineering dreams that may actually be in the process of becoming reality. Strangely, I cannot find much current reference to progress in these fields! Military security?

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  19:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

Wind power, imo, should be our primary focus for electrical generation. There is enough to power us for a long long time,

What are your thoughts on the power transmission problems (line losses) resulting from the long distances existing between wind-rich geographical areas, (largely the southwest and midwest plains areas); and the areas of largest demand and consumption; largely coastal population centers?

California is somewhat of an exception, because of population density; the extensive wind farms in the state are not far from demand areas. The huge developments underway in Texas will soon (a decade) exceed the entire state's demand and transmission technology will need to keep pace with generation capacity.

Battery or capacitor storage is, of course, one alternative solution, as in substation positioning along the trans-continental transmission routes. Mooner's interest in capacitors is not misplaced, this energy storage principle may be a very significant part of the answers to these problems!

Ah, the almost religious faith of the futurist! I have it, and it certainly seems to be more dependable than the equivilant theological expectation of hopeful prayer!
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  21:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bng asked:
What are your thoughts on the power transmission problems (line losses) resulting from the long distances existing between wind-rich geographical areas, (largely the southwest and midwest plains areas); and the areas of largest demand and consumption; largely coastal population centers?

I just love repeating myself. In fact, its one of my favorite things to do.

I guess you and Pelayo must have skipped my posts in this thread, failed to open the links, etc.

There are many ways to tap wind energy that do not rely on surface winds, or can take advantage of much slower wind speeds.

http://www.makanipower.com/vision.html

http://amickglobal.com/wind_turbines/twt/

http://www.skywindpower.com/ww/index.htm

This one is a great idea. 4mph winds is all it needs. My favorite new tethered wind turbine.

The combination of low wind speed surface turbines and tethered turbines looks as if it will overcome geographical wind limitations.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  21:37:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, even if you used only available surface winds you could transport that power over long distances with ever improving efficiency.

There are also some reported instances of carbon nanotubes exhibiting superconducting properties at room temps. If that pans out then power transmission concerns all just disappear.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  02:54:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to PZ Myers' post on how a couple of farmer's groups cut funding to University of Minnesota researchers after those researchers pointed out that biofuels would have a net negative impact on the environment.

On the research results, the farmers' spokesman said, "The university hurt the farmers' feelings, OK?"

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/29/2008 02:58:28
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  03:09:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Battery or capacitor storage is, of course, one alternative solution, as in substation positioning along the trans-continental transmission routes. Mooner's interest in capacitors is not misplaced, this energy storage principle may be a very significant part of the answers to these problems!
Though I agree that supercapitors could help a great deal in the grid distribution system, my main concern is getting some kind of practical batter-or-battery-substitute into automobiles themselves, the goal being to produce a greener car that is every bit (or more) practical as existing ICE autos. Range, affordability, and quick recharge along the highway at at home are the keys to this practicality. I really feel this is the one key technology we are missing right now, and one that will probably soon have a solution.

All the generating and distribution problems are basically expansions in scale on the grid using existing (and emergent) technology, with added sources as they become available.

We could always build enough nuclear fission plants to cover any slow growth of alternative sources, when a much greater need for power on the grid kicks in with fully electric cars.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/29/2008 03:13:04
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:33:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Scary turbine (HT: PZ).
Wow. That was really cool.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:35:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by chaloobi

However, they compete with food crops which will likely lead to deforestation to free up more crop land, which would be a net increase in carbon in the atmostphere and a reduction in biodiversity. Not good.
Be careful, or you'll hurt the farmers' feelings.
Woops. We'll fund your science so long as your studies conclude what we want them to. That's nice.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  06:57:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Chaloobi and Dr. Mabuse.....

Except the orbit-to-earth beam may be affected by weather, depending on what frequency is used for the transmission.

Some of your previous posts suggest familiarity with the principles of electrical power distribution. Is it your speculation (like Dave's) that some advanced form of UHF to GHF microwave generation and beam focused transmission to a rectenna area would be as, or more, practical to develop as the metallurgical molecular manipulation necessary to create a sufficiently conductive metal (or carbon composite) material to fabricate the enormously strong cable (tether) necessary to support the weight of it's several hundred miles of length?

I have read most of the wikilinks to these concepts, they all leave one with an impression of very early technological therorization of these kind of solar power projects, ending in the '90's.

Do you, or anyone, have any knowlege of recent serious work on long distance wireless power transmission or geosynchronous satellite-earth tethering with carbon nanotube power transmission cables?

These are indeed exciting engineering dreams that may actually be in the process of becoming reality. Strangely, I cannot find much current reference to progress in these fields! Military security?
I'd never considered using the Space Elevator concept as a power transmission line nor heard the suggestion before this thread. Every orbital power scenario I've read used microwave transmission. As far as the nuts and bolts details of that, I'm almost completely ignorant.

Regarding the space elevator, from what I've read the cable would have to be twice as far as geosynchronous orbit or counterweighted with an asteroid or something. So we're talking about 22k to 44k miles of cable. I'm not so sure this would be a great solution to the power transmission problem because of distribution issues from the base of the cable. One of the key enablers of orbital power, and the advantage the military is most interested in, is the ability to beam the power to any point on Earth.

Wiki's got a great article on the Space Elevator if you're interested. This would greatly further the goal of a true space industry, completely independant of orbital power.

Here's a solar power satellite article. Also, I posted a link earlier in the thread to the web site of the Pentagon study from 2007.

And here's one on wireless power transmission.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 02/29/2008 06:58:07
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  08:21:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude, your links were about high altitude wind energy, I simply posted a story about the lack of wind causing a power shortage in Texas with conventional wind turbines. That should have reinforced the usefulness of high altitude turbines.

About solar-

Back in the 80s Tennessee Valley Authority was sibsidizing solar water heater installations. Everything was going just fine until budget problems forced cancellation of the subsidity. Within a few years, homeowners began dismantling the equipment becuase the systems were a maintenance mightmare and without the subsidy, the homeowners were never able to recoup the investment. Many homeowners were also not participating because they would be required to cut down some trees.

There may be new solar thechnology since the eighties, but a significant breakthrough will be needed before solar energy is viable in small installations on the eastern half of the US.

With oil over $100 per barrel, it is now becoming economically feasable to extract oil form shale. One of the firms I work part time for is preparing a bid to design a new plant out west.

High oil prices may stimulate research into new energy sources, but high prices also make other sources of fossil fuels more attractive. Win some - lose some.

Update: http://www.dailyreckoning.com/rpt/OilShale.html

This is the "Rocky Mountan News" some of the reporting may or may not be hype.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_4051709,00.html

I have a habit of posting without reading all previous comments, if I am repeating someone, well, excuse me, please.

"No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people." - William Howard Taft

"God ran out of new souls a long time ago and has been recycling jackasses." - Anon
Edited by - Pelayo on 02/29/2008 08:32:32
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  08:58:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately the now economical formerly marginal sources of oil don't do much to address the carbon foot print issue. Regarding solar, I've still not had time to look up the article on the new cheaper and more efficient solar cells... I believe solar water heaters don't use actual photovoltaic cells, however. I think the sun just heats the water directly.

EDIT:

About solar cell tech advances, by this article from last december's SciAm it's looking pretty optimistic:

Superefficient, Cost-Effective Solar Cell Breaks Conversion Records

A tiny chip similar to the solar cells carried by many satellites and other spacecraft today--including the surprisingly long-lived Mars Rovers--has shattered previous records for maximum efficiency in producing electricity from sunlight. "This is the photovoltaic equivalent of the four-minute mile," affirms Larry Kazmerski, director of the Department of Energy's National Center for Photovoltaics in Colorado. "This is a disruptive technology that eventually could provide us, at least in the Southwest, with cost-competitive electricity fairly quickly."

The resulting efficiency nearly doubles that of standard silicon solar cells, which hover at 22 percent. That gain requires, however, the use of light-concentrating devices, such as miniature plastic lenses and mirrors. The new solar cell achieved 40.7 percent efficiency under such concentrated light at the testing center at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Colorado. One cell of just 0.26685 square centimeter (or roughly 0.04 square inch) pumped out 2.6 watts of electricity when bathed at the maximum light concentration. "Every five minutes the spectrum of the sun changes," Kazmerski explains. So tests are conducted "under a simulator where everything stays constant."
And the triple-junction solar cell may not hold the efficiency record for long. "We are also looking at four-, five-, even six-junction solar cells," Lillington notes. "There are at least three or four different approaches to take the efficiency into the 45 percent range." And that means the price of energy harvested directly from the sun will continue to drop.

Regarding the pollution from solar cell manufacture, again good news per Sciam:

Dark Side of Solar Cells Brightens

A life cycle analysis proves that solar cells are cleaner than conventional fossil fuel power generation
But a new analysis finds that even accounting for all the energy and waste involved, PV power would cut air pollution—including the greenhouse gases that cause climate change—by nearly 90 percent if it replaced fossil fuels.
Environmental engineer Vasilis Fthenakis, a senior scientist at Brookhaven National Laboratory in Upton, N.Y., and his colleagues examined the four most common types of PV cells: multicrystalline silicon, monocrystalline silicon, ribbon silicon and thin-film. (Other contenders, such as amorphous silicon or superefficient multijunction cells were excluded for lack of data or lack of widespread application to date.) Even taking into account the low efficiency of thin-film solar cells or the energy needed to purify silicon for the other types of PV, all proved to entail significantly fewer emissions in their entire life cycle than the fossil fuels needed to produce an equivalent amount of electricity.
Even though thin-film solar PVs employ heavy metals such as cadmium recovered from mining slimes, the overall toxic emissions are "90 to 300 times lower than those from coal power plants," the researchers write in Environmental Science & Technology.
And, as Fthenakis and colleagues argued in a recent article in Scientific American, if storage technologies such as compressed air improve, then PV could provide the majority of electricity needs in the U.S. "With storage," Fthenakis says, "it is feasible to go to 100 percent."

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 02/29/2008 10:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Pelayo
Skeptic Friend

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  10:21:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pelayo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These solar water heaters I wrote about used solar collectors for direct heat transfer to the water.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  01:06:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

About solar cell tech advances, by this article from last december's SciAm it's looking pretty optimistic:

Here's a link to the transcript and interview on the podcast from the same issue. From memory it was both interesting and informative, if still somewhat speculative. The whole podcast is usually about 25 minutes. The interview is probably 10-15.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.