Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  10:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If Hillary is nominated, I, too will cringe. But I'd vote for her over McCain as an act of desperate self-defense.

Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich, you decide.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  14:27:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And just like that, Ferraro is gone but the damage is done. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a pawn to win the game.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/12/ferraro.comments/index.html

"Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up," she told the Daily Breeze of Torrance, California. "Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?"

That's some reality she lives in. A magical land where black men are the privileged class and rich old politicians the victims.

@

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  16:53:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hillary has descended from an apparently viable, attractively female, potentially good prospect for the presidency; to a apparently stupid, ugly mean-spirited, mud-slinging über politician of exactly the same stripe(s) as all the Republicans and several of the classical Democrats!

Christ (I really wish he could help), I am disappointed in her -- just completely fucking blowing this country's first chance to have a woman president! I so much want to see somebody in the White House that is not burdened down with all the baggage of testicles and testosterone! And I am glad to see a black man get it! But he is a black man!

Fortunately today, it is looking more and more that she and Bill have totally screwed her chance at the nomination, cause I wouldn't want the totally political bitch to get the nod, although I would have to vote for her rather than McCain!
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@tomic wrote:
Giant Douche or Turd Sandwich, you decide.
More like:

guy who will cut as many domestic programs as possible and cut taxes for everyone including the rich while keeping the USA deeply entrenched in an impossible and expensive occupation, damaging to our security as a nation...

vs.

gal who will supposedly cut taxes for the middle class, at least try to get the USA out of Iraq in a timely and responsible-enough-to-save-some-face fashion, and maybe sorta kinda do something to make our horrible health care system work a little better.

She's not great, (basically, like Obama, she is largely "hope" for those who see how messed up economy and US reputation abroad has gotten) but I think it is pretty clear that McCain will do even more damage. I mean, come on, he's agreed with almost everything Bush has ever done. As awful as what Hillary has done in this primary race is, it doesn't compare to Bush's wrongs.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  07:17:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bngbuck wrote:
I so much want to see somebody in the White House that is not burdened down with all the baggage of testicles and testosterone! And I am glad to see a black man get it! But he is a black man!
If Clinton does get the nomination, don't you think tons of people will be thinking:
I so much want to see somebody in the White House that is not burdened down with all the baggage of white privilege! And I am glad to see a woman get it! But she is a white woman!

They would both be important firsts. But more importantly, we have two perfectly qualified candidates who are at least talking about strategies for getting out of Iraq and domestic problems with the economy and health care.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  09:04:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More like:

guy who will cut as many domestic programs as possible and cut taxes for everyone including the rich while keeping the USA deeply entrenched in an impossible and expensive occupation, damaging to our security as a nation...

vs.

gal who will supposedly cut taxes for the middle class, at least try to get the USA out of Iraq in a timely and responsible-enough-to-save-some-face fashion, and maybe sorta kinda do something to make our horrible health care system work a little better.

I am well-acquainted with the lesser of two evils argument.

@

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  10:46:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Marf.....

I so much want to see somebody in the White House that is not burdened down with all the baggage of white privilege! And I am glad to see a woman get it! But she is a white woman!
Dead on! You are exactly correct. It really is a Hobson's choice of desirable alternatives. Ward wrote, "Where to elect there is but one, / 'Tis Hobson's choice—take that, or none." But I am damn happy that we will probably have that win-win choice this election year! And as far as McCaine is concerned, it would be a Zugzwang.

I really don't know how to make a stronger case for a black president or a woman president. It's like raspberries or peaches!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  11:28:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get the sense Obama is successful despite being black. Sorry but in matters of race (and social issues in general), America's not that progressive.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 03/13/2008 11:29:56
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  11:28:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
marf asked:
What would you do? Sit it out or vote for McCain, and why?

Nader will be on the ballot....

I will vote, because the presidential race isn't the only thing happening. I could just leave it blank.

As for the G. Ferraro problem, I have to think Hillary is finished at this point. Ferraro was a member of her campaign staff, repeatedly made crazy racist comments, got irate when called out for making them, and Hillary just sits back and lets her campaign manager twist that shit around and call it Obama's fault. Then Hillary refuses to fire the crazy racist bitch, just calls her remarks "regretable".

Can't see how that is going to end well for Hillary.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  17:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, she's still at it. If the press lets her, this will remain in the news for weeks:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"I do think this was a mistake on part of the Obama campaign," she said. "They didn't have to do this, and they did it to hurt Hillary. I just think that's bad. I think it's bad business, and I think it's bad politics.

"I was accused of being divisive. I think those tactics are divisive," she added. "And the amazing thing is it's not something I started, its something they did in reaction to this."

I just wish the media kept showing her original comments so that it remains obvious to everyone how offensive they are. If this works to Hillary's advantage then the Democratic Party isn't what it says it is.

In the interview Thursday, Ferraro suggested she did not regret making the comments, saying she was "talking to the facts," and that the issue of race has been raised several times in the campaign before, including by Obama himself.

"The enthusiasm you get from the black community over this black candidate is wonderful, and I don't think you can deny it," she said. "No more than I remember how people felt when I was running."

Unbelievable. She acts as if only African-Americans have voted for Obama when the facts show another story. She also asked the Obama campaign to turn off the hate mail. If she keeps up with this, everyone is going to be sending it to her. Hate speech can't be tolerated. This form of it is artfully constructed, but it is hateful. Even if Hillary wins the nomination I couldn't vote for her now. Ever.

@

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  19:42:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@:
Even if Hillary wins the nomination I couldn't vote for her now. Ever.

So, you're going to let Ferraro be the deciding factor?

Has it occurred to you that she is expressing an opinion? What she seems to be saying is Obama, like she was, is in the right place at the right time. Now, I get how dismissive that is. That is the worst thing about it. And I see how it can be taken as, and might be racist.

What I don't get is why you are blaming Hillary for comments Ferraro is still making after being removed from the campaign? She apparently believes what she is saying. Does that mean Hillary believes it too? Or should Hillary have her whacked?

I'll tell you, she isn't doing Hillary any favors. This is really really bad for the Clinton campaign.

And, just so's ya know, once again, I am not in the Hillary camp…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  19:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I don't get is why you are blaming Hillary for comments Ferraro is still making after being removed from the campaign? She apparently believes what she is saying. Does that mean Hillary believes it too? Or should Hillary have her whacked?

I guess you missed what Maggie Williams posted on the Clinton Campaign website defending Ferraro. It seems clear enough for me to draw that conclusion. And it's not the only factor that led me to my decision. It was just the last straw. I'm not giving my vote to a racist.

And, just so's ya know, once again, I am not in the Hillary camp

And that makes you right?

@

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:06:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@:
And that makes you right?

Hell no, it doesn't make me right. This is politics were talking about, isn't it?

I only mentioned that so you don't think I have any particular Hillary bias.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:14:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil said:
Has it occurred to you that she is expressing an opinion?

A bigoted, racist opinion. And Hillary let her go on and on, and her campaign manager flips it around to make it Obama's fault.

What Ferraro is saying is that Obama could be replaced with any black man and that person would be in the same position, because he is black.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:21:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Kil said:
Has it occurred to you that she is expressing an opinion?

A bigoted, racist opinion. And Hillary let her go on and on, and her campaign manager flips it around to make it Obama's fault.

What Ferraro is saying is that Obama could be replaced with any black man and that person would be in the same position, because he is black.

Yes, her campaign manager makes a weak attempt to spin it, and everyone see's right through it. So what else is new? And how do you know Hillary "let her go on and on"? Really, how do you know Hillary didn't say "oh fuck, what the hell is she saying"?

Why do you think Hillary had any control over Ferraro?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.