Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  08:11:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@tomic wrote:
I'm not giving my vote to a racist.
And Dude wrote:
A bigoted, racist opinion. And Hillary let her go on and on, and her campaign manager flips it around to make it Obama's fault.
I think what Ferraro has been saying is seriously flawed analysis and that her overemphasis on both race and gender hurts the political discussion. But to denounce her as a racist is so over the top. Racism is a powerful word, but if we keep throwing it around so flippantly, it not only acts like a sensational conversation stopper, the word itself loses its power. Ferraro's statements are not racist. She isn't saying that Obama shouldn't win because he is black. In her personal analysis, she is guessing that much of Obama's popularity as a candidate among those who do vote for him is based on his being black. And certainly his race is playing a role - look at people in this conversation who are positively excited about the prospect of the first black president. Ferraro's problem is that she says his popularity is mostly or even only because he is black. That implies that Barack Obama personally is unqualified or at least less qualified that other candidates in the race. That is a fair opinion, not a racist one. I disagree with her opinion and have my own arguments and reasons, but calling her statements racist is just absurd.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 03/17/2008 08:15:14
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  08:19:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More on the "race factor" in this election: I think the people who support Obama mostly 'cause they want a black president will perhaps balance out those race-bigots who won't vote for him regardless. At least I hope. But since this sort of thing is impossible to accurately gauge/gage , what with all the other factors playing a role in voter's decisions, Obama has taken the high ground and not made an issue of his own race. It is shitty for anyone else to make a big deal of it because it clouds the more important issues.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  08:27:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Kil

Dave:
But Kil is, indeed, wrong: it's spelled "gauge."

No. I simply gave it a new spelling.

No, you gave the post a new meaning:

gage: noun

1. something, as a glove, thrown down by a medieval knight in token of challenge to combat.

2. Archaic. a challenge.

3. Archaic. a pledge or pawn; security.

–verb (used with object) 4. Archaic. to pledge, stake, or wager.

I love the English language; it's just so filled unintended consequences.

I saw that Humpty Dumpty was on to something when I developed “Kilbonics.” I might say, in rare moments of weakness, that he was my mentor…

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them - particularly verbs: they're the proudest - adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs - however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'

'Would you tell me, please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'

'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'

'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  16:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by marfknox

More on the "race factor" in this election: I think the people who support Obama mostly 'cause they want a black president will perhaps balance out those race-bigots who won't vote for him regardless. At least I hope. But since this sort of thing is impossible to accurately gauge/gage , what with all the other factors playing a role in voter's decisions, Obama has taken the high ground and not made an issue of his own race. It is shitty for anyone else to make a big deal of it because it clouds the more important issues.

But that ignores (as Ferraro does) the widespread support that Obama has in all categories of voters not just blacks. Therefore, the rant by Ferraro is racist and Hillary's lack of denunciation in the face of her demanding that Obama denounce Farraklan's (intentionally mispelled) support is hypocritical.

Clinton's repeated leaking of racially charged pictures and statements shows she is trying to divide his base along racial lines so that she can prevail. It is the sign of a failing candidacy.

Stick a fork in her, she's done. The race card doesn't play very well. Obama's platform (vague as some planks may be) is still winning.

Heck, he earned my vote during the primary.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2008 :  21:19:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone catch Clinton's choice of words today?

Clinton called the notion that he had unfairly criticized Obama in South Carolina a "a total myth and a mugging."

Emphasis is mine.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5guSjALNYKtc5Nz4EbkuHyQUNSI6gD8VFG80O0

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds.