Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  14:21:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

What if the monster under the bed is God?
That one's been under everybody's bed since the dawn of sapience.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  16:18:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Originally posted by Kil

Now, let's say I claim that last night there was a three headed monster under my bed. That claim cannot be tested without a time machine. My sanity might come into question, but it would be impossible to prove that there was not a three headed monster under my bed last night.
Any sort of monster, three headed or otherwise, ought to have left behind certain forensic evidence had it spent any time under your bed. Saliva or bristly fur for example. Impressions or claw marks in the rug or wood floor might tell a tale as well. A litter Little bones scattered from the beast's midnight snack, depending if he's a bone crusher or not. Perhaps the luggage you normally store there was moved out of the way or smashed under the monster's considerable weight. I know from experience with my children that you can convincingly falsify the claims of monsters inhabiting dark places in the home.
The three headed monster under my bed was there, and yet not there. I was, for some reason, able to see through a portal to another dimension that just happened to open under my bed for a moment. The main thing I saw, and all I remember really, was the three headed monster which startled the hell out of me. When the portal closed, the three headed monster was gone without a trace...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  19:14:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy said:
Certainly not; God is not the default position. Just because the ToE was suddenly shown to have a major fault does not automaticly imply that a system based on belief/faith in the edited and selected writings of Bronze Age, tribal priests before the dawn of science is correct. After all, all they had to work with was the myths and legends of their own ancestors, and you'd be just as well off with Harry Potter.

Yep!

A devonian mammal would represent some problems, but it wouldn't overturn ToE or in any way imply that we should all run down to church.

Now, if we suddenly started finding modern mammals (cats, dogs, toy poodles, people, etc) in 400M y/o strata...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2008 :  20:15:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, I mentioned evidence of the Devonian Bunny fossil containing a fatal load of modern birdshot.....

That's indirect or trace evidence and sometimes, even often, is the only evidence of a then-existing creature. Many Precambrian fossils of ancient worm burrows are excellent examples. We don't have the worm, but we know where it was.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  08:01:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

What if the monster under the bed is God?
We are all God.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2008 :  08:04:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Now, let's say I claim that last night there was a three headed monster under my bed. That claim cannot be tested without a time machine. My sanity might come into question, but it would be impossible to prove that there was not a three headed monster under my bed last night.
Any sort of monster, three headed or otherwise, ought to have left behind certain forensic evidence had it spent any time under your bed. Saliva or bristly fur for example. Impressions or claw marks in the rug or wood floor might tell a tale as well. A litter Little bones scattered from the beast's midnight snack, depending if he's a bone crusher or not. Perhaps the luggage you normally store there was moved out of the way or smashed under the monster's considerable weight. I know from experience with my children that you can convincingly falsify the claims of monsters inhabiting dark places in the home.
The three headed monster under my bed was there, and yet not there. I was, for some reason, able to see through a portal to another dimension that just happened to open under my bed for a moment. The main thing I saw, and all I remember really, was the three headed monster which startled the hell out of me. When the portal closed, the three headed monster was gone without a trace...

Oh come now, everybody knows monstrous dimensional portals are as closet bound as social conservatives. It couldn't possibly have been under your bed; consider your dilusion falsified.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  16:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Oh come now, everybody knows monstrous dimensional portals are as closet bound as social conservatives. It couldn't possibly have been under your bed; consider your dilusion falsified.
Prove it...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  03:40:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Prove it...
And so I shall, but first, it has been discovered that the rough beast in question is not under the bed as previously thought, no. It hides, as has been noted, in the closet and only has one head. It emerges occasionally to hang out in airport restrooms and is reputed to have a 'wide stance.'

And there you have it, caught for posterity by the science of cinematography. Science will ever triumph over faith, as a full house will always 'flush' a flush.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:36:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by Kil

Prove it...
And so I shall, but first, it has been discovered that the rough beast in question is not under the bed as previously thought, no. It hides, as has been noted, in the closet and only has one head. It emerges occasionally to hang out in airport restrooms and is reputed to have a 'wide stance.'

And there you have it, caught for posterity by the science of cinematography. Science will ever triumph over faith, as a full house will always 'flush' a flush.

I have nothing further to add. Let the facts stand.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:58:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
- Homer Simpson

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  08:28:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is getting crazy. Perhaps the three headed monster was projected from my closet to under my bed somehow. Maybe it's some kind of holographic audio-visual device, a technology as common as a cell phone in that other dimension, and useful to confuse the denizens of this dimension. A sort of a practical joke that has served to keep us off guard and arguing among ourselves!

But just how did the monster manage to physically “disappear” one of my socks? There was a pair of them on the floor by the bed when I went to sleep, but only one sock remained when I woke up. What's with that? I know, and am willing to take a polygraph that there was a full pair on the floor by the bed before I saw the monster. See what I am getting at? We have been blaming the IPU for that, but there could be a much simpler explanation.

You guys are grasping at straws of your own invention. I was there and you were not. I find your explanations pathetic at best and downright dismissive and dishonest at worst.

And you call yourselves skeptics….

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  09:08:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Okay, this is getting crazy. Perhaps the three headed monster was projected from my closet to under my bed somehow. Maybe it's some kind of holographic audio-visual device, a technology as common as a cell phone in that other dimension, and useful to confuse the denizens of this dimension. A sort of a practical joke that has served to keep us off guard and arguing among ourselves!
Pure speculation.

But just how did the monster manage to physically “disappear” one of my socks? There was a pair of them on the floor by the bed when I went to sleep, but only one sock remained when I woke up. What's with that? I know, and am willing to take a polygraph that there was a full pair on the floor by the bed before I saw the monster. See what I am getting at? We have been blaming the IPU for that, but there could be a much simpler explanation.
Check your closet! The beast probably took your sock with it back to your closet.

You guys are grasping at straws of your own invention. I was there and you were not. I find your explanations pathetic at best and downright dismissive and dishonest at worst.
All dishonesty and dismissive ineptitude aside, can you prove you were there?

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  18:56:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No. And since the burden of proof used to rest on me until the closet thing came up, can you prove the monster came from the closet?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  04:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

No. And since the burden of proof used to rest on me until the closet thing came up, can you prove the monster came from the closet?

Before we can do that, we have to figure out which monster was the culprit. You see, there are many more than one lurking in and about the bedroom. Now, if missing socks are involved, it probably wasn't the Closet Monster. Most likely, it was one of these guys:

The green one especially is a notorious sock thief. It eats them, but only one at a time.

By their very nature, which is shy and retiring to an extreme, monsters are difficult to catch, examine & classify, and Monsterentologists are forced to work under some pretty difficult conditions. For example: once, a few years back, I was called upon to do a monster rescue & probable rehabilitation from Madonna's bedroom. After a strenuous and exhausting month, it was determined that the monster(s) had fled the premises and that I should do the same. This I did, and had to check into a convalescence facility to recover from the trials of expedition. Monsterentology ain't all dust-bunnies, pizza scraps and odd socks, as I'm sure you can understand.

As can be imagined, it is very difficult to classify monsters and virtually nothing is known of their evolutionary tree, although consensus opinion has it that they evolved in tandem with us. They are known, however, to all have a common ancestor and that ancestor has been verifiably identified:

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/15/2008 04:44:35
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  11:15:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

I love you man, really! You are probably the best on the whole damn forum, and I really mean it! But there is an ambivilance to:
That one's been under everybody's bed since the dawn of sapience.
Could you have meant sentience?

Forgive me, I am not trying to be nit-picking or critical in any way. It's just that there is such a difference in the meaning of the two words, that it changes the meaning of your quip.

God under the bed since the dawn of sapience would mean that the advent of wisdom put God where he belonged, under the bed as a false creature of the imagination (but not necessarily a monster). True enough!

God under the bed since the dawn of intelligence would mean that most of humanity has been suffering from the fear of God since he was invented, certainly predating wisdom! Also totally true!

Both conclusions are accurate and cutting commentary on this particular unfortunate human condition. I fully agree with both but which did you mean?

You, Filth, have more common sense than all the rest of SFN combined, including me! I'm going to try to outlive you, just so I can have the pleasure of reading all that you ever wrote!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.35 seconds.