New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

maledoro
Skeptic Friend

66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  19:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit maledoro's Homepage Send maledoro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

And even in its sixth week, the film about the talking elephant grossed more than Expelled did.

And was more scientifically accurate.

Originally posted by Dave W.

At an average $6.88 a ticket, only 431,000 or so people paid to see it. That's what, 0.15% of the US population? Three viewers for every 2,000 citizens.

It's likely that most of those who took it seriously are those who already thought that the Earth is 6,000 years old.

I figured. But, I was hoping that most of the people who saw it did so only out of morbid curiosity.

"Nothing frightens me more than religion at my door."

-John Cale
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  16:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, according to PZ Myers, Yoko Ono, Sean Ono Lennon, Julian Lennon, and EMI Blackwood Music are all suing the Expelled gang for copyright infringement in using John Lennon's "Imagine" without permission. Well, they can't say they weren't warned prior to the movie's release!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/23/2008 16:48:12
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  17:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Shall I set a place at the table for Mister Cock-up?" ~~ Baldrick

These guys shouldn't be allowed out without a keeper. Yeesh!

This thing is going to change nothing. The already convinced will feel good about it and the science will march on unaffected. Lawsuits will come and go, and the already convinced will lament the beating handed to the DI gang, and the science will march on all but oblivious to it. Those sitting on the fence will mostly remain there because they really don't much care. If they did, they'd have studied the topic a little, and anyway, fence-sitting tends to be habitual.

It's good for a few laughs, though.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  23:05:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like one of the guys interviewed for the movie as an anti-darwinian good guy is himself an antisemite!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  01:34:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Looks like one of the guys interviewed for the movie as an anti-darwinian good guy is himself an antisemite!

Indeed, and it bears repetition.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  01:37:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hat tip to PZ for this. Real Detroit has an interview with "Expelled" producer Mark Mathis by Jay Davis with commentary. The article, titled "Unevolved," totally exposes Mathis as both a liar and a moron (Mathis lies with moronic incompetence). Scroll to the the bottom of that page.

Low-quality liar and ignoramus, Mark Mathis

Edited by - HalfMooner on 04/25/2008 01:43:09
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  03:58:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Hat tip to PZ for this. Real Detroit has an interview with "Expelled" producer Mark Mathis by Jay Davis with commentary. The article, titled "Unevolved," totally exposes Mathis as both a liar and a moron (Mathis lies with moronic incompetence). Scroll to the the bottom of that page.

Low-quality liar and ignoramus, Mark Mathis

Gracious! What a pathetic, little hack Mathis is.

Shit-canning PZ was yet another act of idiocy. Quite frankly, I don't understand why he did it; it had to be one of the stupidest PR moves ever and it certainly didn't help to add credulity to the film. The already convinced took it in stride and even applauded, but those weren't the target audience. The target audience, the unconvinced but willing to listen, was appalled by it, as is being revealed with each new commentary.

I really do hope they'll bring out more neat-o, Argumentum ad Ignorantiam stuff -- add another turn to ID's hangman's knot with each colossal blunder. Everything they touch shows the approximate level of competence displayed by GW Bush and by my count, it's turns are currently up to three.

Encore! Encore!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  17:10:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After its first seven days, "Expelled" continues to expire. This from The Numbers.com:

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  17:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should have background sound of a toilet flushing while reading the dwindling cash flow chart.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  18:13:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shucks, it only needs to make another $67,928 before my prediction of it not making another million will be falsified.

And sadly, the 73% drop in take on Monday isn't all that different from the 66% drop experienced by Forgetting Sarah Marshall or the 70% drop for Forbidden Kingdom or the 69% drop of 88 Minutes.

The question is this: will Expelled recover this weekend as much as the other films will?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  19:04:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, assuming an average ticket price of $6.88 and five showings per theater per day, here is an average attendance estimate comparison for the first week between Expelled, The Forbidden Kingdom, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 88 Minutes, Where in the World is Osama bin Laden, and because the makers of Expelled seemed to desire the comparison prior to April 18th, Fahrenheit 9/11:

Day  Explld  Forbdn  Forgtg  88 Min   Osama   F-9/11
----------------------------------------------------
Fri    33      71      63      32      13      287
Sat    28      74      71      37      17      273
Sun    21      52      51      24      13      241
Mon     7      16      17       7       4      148
Tue     6      14      17       7       4      124
Wed     6      11      16       7       4       83
Thr     6      11      16       6       4       86

Edited for formatting and to add that attendance numbers are low-balled for Fahrenheit 9/11 because the $6.88 average ticket price must be high for four years ago.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  07:49:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHINE & SQUIRM......
Is “Imagine” Even Copyrightable?

William Dembski

Yoko Ono, as many readers of this blog by now know, is suing the producers of EXPELLED for using a brief clip of John Lennon's song “Imagine.” One of the stanzas of the song reads:

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

Is it possible to copyright a song that disavows possessions (copyright being a form of possession)? Once Ono realizes the self-referential incoherence of her suit, I trust she'll drop it.
The comments are pretty neat, too.

Larry Fafarman

04/26/2008

1:23 am
The song is a vow of poverty. Yoko Ono should lose all of John Lennon's copyrights.

Frost122585

04/26/2008

3:27 am
LOL. This shows you the utter hypocrisy of the left.

And all it would have taken to avoid every bit of this flapdoodle is a brief & polite letter, and maybe the promise of modest royalties. That's what I would have done and I'm about as far left as it gets. What a bunch of maroons!

Actually, royalties wouldn't be all that important because this dud isn't going to make enough to be worth the bother. In fact, If I held copyright, I'd refuse permission because I wouldn't want anything of mine associated with such a no-talent production, the foundered philosophy aside.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  08:17:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the proceeds from the suit will be donated to charities feeding the poor and hungry, of which there are a helluva lot now that food prices are up.

To be honest though, I think I'd rather see the proceeds go to the NCSE, for hate's sake.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 04/26/2008 08:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  10:35:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I left this comment at UD:

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

“ Is it possible to copyright a song that disavows possessions (copyright being a form of possession)? “

Interesting take. Of course, the answer is yes. Perhaps Dembski missed the title of the song? Could it be that the song imaginings are not consistent with the most hate filled and erroneous message of Expelled? (No Hitler without Darwin.) Heck, isn't that why the song was chosen for the film in the first place?

“Look at what those crazy atheists want to do!!”

Because John Lennon imagined a better world based on love and not possessions and the other things that get in the way of unity and peace, Imagine is both the key word and the title of the song. It's a utopian vision, a pondering, but the message is clear.
I really doubt that the line in question was intended to allow it to be freely used to promote the opposite of what the song is about. Only an opportunist or a conman would defend its use in that way.

Imagine a documentary movie being made without copyright violations and plagiarisms. It's easy if you try…

I'm betting the bank that it will not be accepted...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2008 :  11:46:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, my post is gone...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.