Vatican beleives in aliens
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  11:07:35  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7399661.stm

The vatican's chief astronomer says aliens are possible. My first question is how many astronomers must the vatican have to have a chief? My next question is why? I wonder if the Pope is on board with this?

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  11:51:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have to know when the three stars meet in the heavens to mark the birth of second Christ. So they know when to dig up the Seven Knives, and kill off Damien Thorn.

Actually, having a scientific staff will help them to avoid embarresments like the treatment of Galileo and people like him.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  12:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb.....

The vatican's chief astronomer says aliens are possible.
Carl Sagan, hardly a spokesman for the Pope, said the same thing.

Actually, who ever has said that "aliens are impossible"?
My first question is how many astronomers must the vatican have to have a chief?
Seventeen. Here they are:

Personnel and Research of the Osservatorio Pontificio.

José G. Funes - Director of the Vatican Observatory
Christopher J. Corbally - Vice Director, VORG
George V. Coyne - President of the Vatican Observatory Foundation
Richard P. Boyle
Guy J. Consolmagno
Alessandro Omizzolo
William R. Stoeger
Andrew P. Whitman - Administrator for VORG
John B. Hollywood - Assistant to VOF President
James Bowes - Superior of Jesuit Community, Tucson
Juan Casanovas
Giuseppe Koch - Vice Director, Specola Vaticana
Sabino Maffeo
Federico Balzoni
Romano Reggio
Francesco Rossi
Martin F. McCarthy
My next question is why?
To operate one of the world's foremost astronomical observatories. And to lend a Catholic spin to any astronomical data that may need religious tweaking in order to promote Catholic bullshit..
I wonder if the Pope is on board with this?
The Observatory exists at the pleasure of the Pope. It seems to be OK with the current Chief Propagandist of the Church. Previous Popes have instigated, abolished, reinstated, supported, ignored, and quarreled with the work of the Vatican Observatory - depending on their political ambitions, and their Dogmatic agreement or disagreement with the factual astronomical findings of the Observatory.

As with all Science, the Catholic Church promotes those astronomical findings which they see as promoting Catholic theology, and deny, censor, or destroy those which may create doubt about the Correctness of the Church and It's Infinite Wisdom.

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  14:52:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Father Fumes said:
Science and religion need each other, and many astronomers believe in God, he assures readers.
Seems to be stopping a bit short ...

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  21:14:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

My next question is why?
There's an easy answer to this:
One Galileo in two thousand years is enough. - Pope Pius XII

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  05:27:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, The Onion has a few opinions on the subject of Space Aliens...
http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/vatican_okays_space_aliens

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.