Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2001 :  23:07:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Vaccum tubes aren't a good idea.

I would rather have solid state, but something which is sheilded from EMP (possible but expensive, although when I take over countries I wont have to worry about that).

Also I wont tell you when I'm going to attack, I'll just get my 10,000,000 robots ready along with the robotic jet fighters and transports (about the size of a C-5 and another one the size of a C-17 but all stealths). Then send them all to where I need them and take the places over quickly.

Robotic helicopters would also be used (some about the size of model ones with a machine gun, others the size of a CH-53 and carrying robotic soliders.

I don't want my robots to give off too much heat as they may not be very fast if they have to lug a nuclear reactor around with them (fuel cell is what I'm looking at to power them).

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.

Gee. An environmentalist evil overlord. Whoda thunk it.

Go to Top of Page

bestonnet_00
Skeptic Friend

Australia
358 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2001 :  13:10:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send bestonnet_00 an ICQ Message  Send bestonnet_00 a Yahoo! Message
I'll use a nuclear reactor to make the fuel (might even use an Al-air fuel cell, just replace the Al sheet).

Radioactive GM Crops.

Slightly above background.

Safe to eat.

But no activist would dare rip it out.

As they think it gives them cancer.
Go to Top of Page

Lars_H
SFN Regular

Germany
630 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  13:38:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lars_H a Private Message
Excuse me for being stupid if i don't understand this, but how do you genetically manipulate human adults, children or fetuses?

Is this sort of thing even possible outside comic books and bad sci-fi stories?

Why any sort of legal action at all? we alreayd have laws against harming humans. So no aditinal legislation should be nescesarry.

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2002 :  14:25:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:

Excuse me for being stupid if i don't understand this, but how do you genetically manipulate human adults, children or fetuses?

Is this sort of thing even possible outside comic books and bad sci-fi stories?

Why any sort of legal action at all? we alreayd have laws against harming humans. So no aditinal legislation should be nescesarry.

There was some research being done into using a virus to deliver genetic information into human cells, I think. This may be what was being referenced. The concept was to repair genetic information in the cells. Now, don't ask me for references because I just remember hearing about this and it's been more than a year ago now.

---
There is no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our world. It underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've known. Sagan
Go to Top of Page

The SollyLama
Skeptic Friend

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2002 :  15:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send The SollyLama a Private Message
I read a good book once called "The Biotech Century", I forgot the author.
The author focused more on the ability to abuse genetic research. Not in the creating an army of Britney Spears (except with no vocal chords) kind of way, but in the obvious abuses on a much more base level.
Namely insurance companies or possible employers. Think GATTACA- although it was a horrible film.
Advances in biotechnology are more immediatly a threat to those sorts of issues than in some religious context.
I use insurance because it's an easy target. It's an industry that totally discriminates by factors of age, race, location, personal habits etc, already. It's a tiny step to start using genetic information to set policies. If you have a genetic pre-dispostiion to say, cancer, an insurance company could jack up your premiums way in advance of an actual illness based on the PROBABILITY (which is what insurance is all about) you will develop the disease and later have to shell out alot of money on treatments.
While I don't think hokey religious feelings should hinder biotech research, I am concerned with it's effects beyond those scientists. The negative uses for biotech are much easier to achieve and sooner than positive uses.
Biotech in medicine takes along time to be approved (gene therapy type stuff) while that kind of knowledge is of immediate use to those who would use it against you.
And I don't know how much use current non-military biotech would be to a military application, but that's certainly something to consider. Not to stop research, but to classify it for protection.

No remorse, No repent. We don't care what it meant. Another day another death. Another sorrow another breath.
Go to Top of Page

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:
Originally posted by Tokyodreamer
quote:
Originally posted by bestonnet_00

I wouldn't mind having an army of 10,000,000 robots to take over the world (good luck stopping me).

A couple of EMP blasts, and your robots (and you) would be finished...

------------

Ma gavte la nata!

Edited by - tokyodreamer on 08/10/2001 05:08:30

Na, used vacuum tubes instead of solid state electronics. (tee hee)

The latest thing just out in U.S. News&WP Magazine (Jan12,04 issue pp.46,47) is genetic modifying virus or prion to make nanorobots which will set about to built a machine. Woman doing research is trying to get nanobugs to build a microprocessor.

Too bad. Ur EMP wont work against GM microbe-robots. 10,000,000? Waat a wee tiny number for GM viral-robots but once they get to reproducing theirselves they might just "take over the world."

edited to repare incorect reference.

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1
Edited by - PruplePanther on 01/10/2004 10:40:28
Go to Top of Page

PruplePanther
Skeptic Friend

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2004 :  10:05:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send PruplePanther a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NubiWan

Not to belittle the moral ramifications, they are certainly real and perplexing, but like it or not, the worst case will probably happen. This technology doesn't take a particle accelerator to do. And the good ol' US of A doesn't have a lock on it either. Dolly was a product of jolly ol'.
To have a reservoir of perfectly compatible body parts, young ones, for those with the wealth, could be a real temptation for extending the "good life." There are parts of the world, where the thought of perfect soldiers, not bright enough to question orders, mind you, willing to lay their life down for, say, allah, tha boss, or who ever, could be a temptation as well.
Trying to "outlaw" this branch of research, will only delegate it to the "fringe," as well as to the super wealthy, where public observation will be blissfully ignorant of it's progress, till it's too late. Better to allow it in full public view, me tinks, anyway.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities."
-Voltaire

All makes sense but GM scares me too much so i voted for the last choice "make genetics a world-class capital crime" or something like that...choices have disapeared. There i am...out in left field as usual.

"If I don't know where we are, I can't plot a course home." Major Carter, SG-1
Go to Top of Page

Sea Sorbust
Skeptic Friend

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2004 :  11:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Sea Sorbust a Private Message
How did yo miss these great polls?

Voted for prohibiting "Any genetic manipulation whatsoever." Was tempted to vote for just plants and animals but the manipulation of the genetics of bacteria, viruses and even smaller things, ImHO, pose the greatest danger to the survival of mankind and maybe even life on Earth.

"This is the forest primeval...."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds.