Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  00:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
According to this H5N1 Bird Flu may not be as deadly as first believed. Apparently, most cases af bird flu are mild and have gone undetected thereby skewing the denominator in the fatality ratio.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

History is made by stupid people - The Arrogant Worms

"The greater the ignorance the greater the dogmatism." - William Osler

"Religion is the natural home of the psychopath" - Pat Condell

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  03:37:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

For the last 4 months I've had sub-sonic vibrations in my condo, courtesy of the ventilation system. In the beginning, only my girlfriend noticed it, but had trouble sleeping because of it.
We suffered from the same thing a few years ago. A real nightmare. We faced the same reactions as you describe. We were fortunate that the then chairman of the condo board is a friend of ours.

In the end we paid for the new ventilation fan ourselves (~$1000).
I was the easy way out of that mess.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  04:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost_Skeptic

According to this H5N1 Bird Flu may not be as deadly as first believed. Apparently, most cases af bird flu are mild and have gone undetected thereby skewing the denominator in the fatality ratio.

I wouldn't gets your hopes up here. There were a couple of widespread population testing projects carried out and very few people had antibodies suggesting very few mild cases the death rate has indeed been very high. Chicken farmers and vendors were targeted for the testing.
Go to Top of Page

Antigone

44 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  17:04:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Antigone a Private Message
Hey Cune (or anyone else who knows) can you recommend any books on the ancient middle east (areas such as Palestine, Babylon, areas associated with The Epic of Gilgamesh) that do NOT confuse history with religious myths and religious history? I want a book on history for that area that doesn't use the bible as a source. Which is very difficult to find for some reason. I bought a book called Mythic Past by T. Thompson, but I want something that focuses on historical events.

Thanks!

Mortui non dolent
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  17:34:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Antigone

Hey Cune (or anyone else who knows) can you recommend any books on the ancient middle east (areas such as Palestine, Babylon, areas associated with The Epic of Gilgamesh) that do NOT confuse history with religious myths and religious history? I want a book on history for that area that doesn't use the bible as a source. Which is very difficult to find for some reason. I bought a book called Mythic Past by T. Thompson, but I want something that focuses on historical events.

Thanks!

Oh. Good question. To begin: it's hard to discuss the history of the Levant without using the Bible. Say what you will about it, the fact remains that there was a kingdom of Judah and a kingdom of Israel and the Assyrians and Babylonians and Persians did happily invade that region from time to time.

But your question is more complex, because scholars who want to write about Mesopotamia proper tend to stick to Mesopotamia proper, and vice versa for Bible scholars. So you're really looking for two books, to some extent.

As for Mesopotamia, a new book out that a number of professors are using for their classes is Marc van de Mieroop's A History of the Ancient near East. Like any history, it's sort of dry, but van de Mieroop's smart and the material is up to date.

I'll have to check back re a good history of the Levant that's not too Bible-centric. They're out there, so don't worry!
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  18:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

As for Mesopotamia, a new book out that a number of professors are using for their classes is Marc van de Mieroop's A History of the Ancient near East. Like any history, it's sort of dry, but van de Mieroop's smart and the material is up to date.

Hey! I know that book! I've leafed through it in a (very religious, near fundamentalist) friend's house. Good stuff. Bet he never read it; he was Lebanese, so he was obsessed with looking like he understood the Middle East history. He didn't.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  01:11:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
Once again it is that time of year - The Ignoble Awards

Details about some of the winners

The prize for medicine - This might qualify as Natural Cure you odn't want to know about.

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. / You can send a kid to college but you can't make him think." - B.B. King

"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter" - Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Ghost_Skeptic
SFN Regular

Canada
510 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  00:25:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ghost_Skeptic a Private Message
A recent study indicates that the performance of women on a math test was heavily influenced by their belief that women are gentically infereior at math.

quote:
Before they were given the test, the women were required to read one of four essays — three of them dealing with gender difference in math. One essay argued there was no difference, a second argued the difference was genetic and a third said the difference was the result of social construction and the way girls were taught in elementary school. The fourth essay covered the subject of women in art.

quote:
The women who were told that prior experience determined their math ability got twice as many answers right on the exam as women who were told their genetics were to blame, the researchers said.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  00:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Congress' approval rating is at 16% and I just paid under two bucks ($1.999) a gallon for gas for the first time in well over a year.

I've got a rosy outlook on life right now!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  03:30:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Congress' approval rating is at 16% and I just paid under two bucks ($1.999) a gallon for gas for the first time in well over a year.

Let's re-elect these wonderful Congressmen who've lowered gas prices!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  03:49:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I finally got my electric scooter-bike this week. Instead of having to make an unalterable round-trip reservation a day in advance for the old-folks-and-handicapped van to take me places ($5 round trip), I can now zip off on a whim, like when I drove my car.

Except my scooter only goes 20 mph with a strong tail wind, and won't take me further than an optimistic 30 miles. On the other hand, 20 mph seems really fast to someone who's been limping along with a cane for three years. And the electric charge it takes to get three miles to town and back costs me just a penny. My Expresso S scooter emits no CO2, only a smugly green whirring sound from its rear hub brushless DC motor. No license, plate, or insurance required. The vehicle is a bicycle under the law.

The feeling of being set free is awesome. It ain't a Harley, but yippee!

Go to Top of Page

McQ
Skeptic Friend

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  06:22:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send McQ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I finally got my electric scooter-bike this week. Instead of having to make an unalterable round-trip reservation a day in advance for the old-folks-and-handicapped van to take me places ($5 round trip), I can now zip off on a whim, like when I drove my car.

Except my scooter only goes 20 mph with a strong tail wind, and won't take me further than an optimistic 30 miles. On the other hand, 20 mph seems really fast to someone who's been limping along with a cane for three years. And the electric charge it takes to get three miles to town and back costs me just a penny. My Expresso S scooter emits no CO2, only a smugly green whirring sound from its rear hub brushless DC motor. No license, plate, or insurance required. The vehicle is a bicycle under the law.

The feeling of being set free is awesome. It ain't a Harley, but yippee!

What? No Segway?

Enjoy the open road, HalfMooner! Feel the wind in your hair/helmet/peach fuzz and wear your leathers proudly!

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Gillette
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  06:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
What kind of battery technology does it have?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  13:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Thank you, McQ! I think the Segway question kind of answers itself.

Mab: It uses four 12 VDC deep-discharge type sealed lead acid batteries, wired in series. The motor is a brushless, 500 Watt DC motor, built into the hub.

Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  04:43:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Doing a conversion based on the current exchange rate (0.7567) and the less variable liters to gallons in Sydney, Australia, we're paying an average of around US$3.37 per gallon. (Based on AUS$1.20 per liter, to use sensible units).

While fuel prices are high, I for some reason find the weekly hikes more annoying. We're expected to believe these price trends are anything but a chance to screw people too lazy/ignorant to fill up before the weekend. There's a regular-as-clockwork 10% premium for filling up on the weekend. I'm sure this phenomenon is widespread.

My weekly usage is typically a little more than a tankfull, so I fill the car and a 10 litre can on a Monday/Tuesday, whether I desperately need it or not. It probably only saves me $100 or so a year, but better in my pocket than theirs.
The source of this image is here.

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 10/24/2006 04:45:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds.