Claims List
Skeptic Links
Book Reviews
Gift Shop
Staff

Server Time: 01:00:13
Your Local Time:

Skeptic Summary

Printer Friendly Printer Friendly Version of this Article... Bookmark Bookmark This Article...

Skeptic Summary #84

By The Staff
Posted on: 3/27/2006

Special note, untrusted and loving it, roll out the rolls, chain letter of fools, criticism and more!

Week ending March 25, 2006 (Vol 3, #11)

Welcome to the Skeptic Summary, a quick week-in-review guide to the Skeptic Friends Network and the rest of the skeptical world.

A Note from Dave W:
Some of you may have been wondering about my recetn absence from the SFN, but I can assure you it was nothing more than a vacation at Disneyland in Anaheim, California. A vacation which, in fact, included and invitation for Kil and Michelle come to the hotel my family and I were staying in to have dinner at the traditional Japanese restaurant, Yamabuki. They were kind enough to accept, and it appears that a good time was had by all.

Afterwards, while chatting outside the restaurant, a nice passerby was kind enough to help out in taking a photo of myself, Kil and Michelle. I told Kil I’d have to crop it a bit (I didn’t want to show him up), and he said that would be okay so long as I was in the resulting image. And so, below, you will find a photo of Michelle (on the left), Kil (center) and me (on the right, in the snazzy SFN golf shirt).

It was, by the way, a great week overall. Seeing Kil again face-to-face, and meeting Michelle, were the real highlights of the trip, though.
Forum Highlights:
Atheists are viewed as most distrusted minority - With slimeball televangelists and corrupt government officials in abudance, being the least-trusted minority doesn’t much matter.

The handyman’s secret weapon… - One of the best threads ever for skeptics fond of DIY projects.

Editor’s Choice: e-mail chain letter - I am worried that we haven’t heard from Robb again after a few more days.
Kil’s Evil Pick:
Proper Criticism,” by Ray Hyman - Tips from a master…
Chat Highlights:
Sunday: Slow start, Aussie friends join; how to debate with delusional people, no answer found; BABB; SFN members that rock; astronomy. Storm dropped in briefly to say hi, as did Marfknox (even briefer).

Wednesday: Misunderstandings in politics, blood sucking and therianthropes, and back to how people take politics in discussions personally… Sending Dave and Kil to TAM5 (a fine idea!). Religion and its many permutations and experiments to find out what it’s all about and why some of us don’t have it. Then, we had more religion discussion. What’s it all mean? Libertarianism and public education were also discussed. Oh, and abortion.

Come chat with us.
New Members these last two weeks:
astro_guy
MITgrad
msmith
Dusty_Traveler

(Not a member? Become one today!)

Elsewhere in the World:
Bad Science

Mass Media Bunk - 9/11 conspiracies and the war on truth

What’s New by Bob Park

Got some skeptic news items? Send them to us, and we’ll think about adding them.
Book of the Week:
The Mystery Chronicles: More Real-Life X-Files, by Joe Nickell, forward by James Randi.

“Nickell incorporates his personal experiences with other investigators’ findings to explore how these intriguing myths have developed. Addressing the theoretical debate behind each case, Nickell clarifies previous speculation and uses evidence to explain phenomena that have baffled the scientific community and the general public for decades.

While Nickell tackles the many theories surrounding these X-files, such as the Nazca Lines, the Amityville Horror, and the Winchester Mystery House, he does not automatically deny the possibility of the paranormal. As an investigator, Nickell employs a comprehensive approach sensitive to both the paranormalist and skeptic”

— from Randi’s Foreward

More issues of the Skeptic Summary can be found in our archive.

The Skeptic Summary is produced by the staff of the Skeptic Friends Network, copyright 2006, all rights reserved.

Read or Add Comments about the Skeptic Summary

Back to Skeptic Summary

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds.