Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  00:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I'm annoyed at commercials' tendency to portray the man as a lazy moron, while the woman is the smart, eye-rolling, tolerant-of-his-stupidity one

A Men to that. Ah! Men, most wonderful creatures on earth.
And NO, I'm not kidding.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  00:13:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Commercials are the purpose of broadcast television. Everything else, news and educational material included, exist solely to get you to watch the commercials.

These posts will soon need to be carried over to the capitalist folder.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  00:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

I'm fascinated by the evolution of language and slang. Consequently, I tend to use it a lot, and I apologize for any confusion.

It is interesting to know about language but I don't approve of people who say 'had went', it's annoying to the ears to hear improper use of the language. Changing or not!
I use little slang, never cared for it. I don't think you have to apologize. It's your choice to say what you want. I think news casters who don't use English correctly are the ones who should pay more attention to their speech. I've been hearing many mistakes recently such as the above mentioned atrocity. If I might....just one more pet peeve about language. People who pronounce 'often' = Off-ten. Please cover my ears. It's OFF-Fen or Off-Phen. The only people who are allowed to say Of-TEN are the British.
quote:

The first time I heard the phrase "torque my cookies", I knew exactly what it meant. I also really like the imagery of actually twistin' someone's biscuits.

I find that picture rather weird. Crumbling crackers in soup, it's so messy! Whatever you like, I GUESS!!!

*Carabao forever.
-----------------

Edited by - snake on 04/27/2002 00:39:39
Go to Top of Page

Jesus

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  15:26:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Jesus a Private Message
O K ! this is a thread I can really sink my teeth into.Lawyers are the lowest for of scavengers on this planet, using any tragidy then can to make a profit.Here in Central Florida we have Morgan,Collings and Gilbert,They used 9/11 and the, in god we trust thing to boost profits ,They say get a second oppion,when told you don't have a case.Red neck fundies and they are what will surely be the reason that civilazation ends.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  18:24:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Ad that torques me, part 2:
This one is for Stanley Steamer. Starts out showing a kid jumping up and down on a squirt bottle of chocolate. Chocolate is spewing all over the living room. Announcer asks "Does your kid ever act like a kid?"
Excuse me. This is not a kid acting like a kid. This is a kid acting like a candidate for boarding school.
The commercial seems to give the impression that this sort of thing is commonplace. I don't have kids, so I'll ask the forum members: would it be as cutsey-poo as the commercial implies if your kid did this?
Lisa

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  18:36:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
There is that car ad with a woman, wearing a really ugly golf cap, sitting in the passanger seat haveing some sort of petite mal fit...or is she dancing with her seat belt on...while they drive past the oil cracking plants on the Long Beach Freeway.

-------
It will sometimes be necessary to use falsehood for the benefit of those who need such a mode of treatment.
----Eusebius of Nicomedia,
The Preparation of the Gospel
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2002 :  18:50:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
quote:

There is that car ad with a woman, wearing a really ugly golf cap, sitting in the passanger seat haveing some sort of petite mal fit...or is she dancing with her seat belt on...while they drive past the oil cracking plants on the Long Beach Freeway.

-------
It will sometimes be necessary to use falsehood for the benefit of those who need such a mode of treatment.
----Eusebius of Nicomedia,
The Preparation of the Gospel

Yeah, she looks a little silly, doesn't she? I'm going to guess she's dancing, since the guy driving looks pretty happy about the whole situation. Or maybe she said something before the camera was rolling we're not supposed to hear.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  06:49:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Don't get me started, Lisa. Nothing invokes me to change the channel quicker than any kid in any add.

(I know that this is a tangent so I will parenthecise it. I run a very nice furniture store. Nothing "torqures" me more than when yuppie-from-hell parents, while agonizing for hours over what shade of taupe to choose for their chair, allow their brats to use my expensive displays as playthings. When I say something about it, I almost always get some cliched answer such as "well, you got to pick your battles." PICK ONE ALREADY, YOU MORON! And it's us CF folks that are supposedly irresponsible.)

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what is right." --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  21:00:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Don't get me started, Lisa. Nothing invokes me to change the channel quicker than any kid in any add.

Babies especially. They make me want to puke. I bet I turn the channel quicker than you do Mr. Spock.
quote:

(I know that this is a tangent so I will parenthecise it. I run a very nice furniture store. Nothing "torqures" me more than when yuppie-from-hell parents, while agonizing for hours over what shade of taupe to choose for their chair, allow their brats to use my expensive displays as playthings. When I say something about it, I almost always get some cliched answer such as "well, you got to pick your battles." PICK ONE ALREADY, YOU MORON! And it's us CF folks that are supposedly irresponsible.)

You are not alone there either. If I see kids playing with toys that belong on a shelf, especially in stores that I own, like Target, I will say something to them. Or get a sales person. I actually did that in Target not long ago and the store really did send someone to tell them to stop.
LOL, it's fun to stand there and hover over the little brats to see what they do. They many times get intimidated and edge away.
Little kids are such a bother.

*Carabao forever.
-----------------
Go to Top of Page

Wiley
Skeptic Friend

68 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2002 :  15:33:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wiley a Private Message
quote:

O K ! this is a thread I can really sink my teeth into.Lawyers are the lowest for of scavengers on this planet, using any tragidy then can to make a profit.Here in Central Florida we have Morgan,Collings and Gilbert,They used 9/11 and the, in god we trust thing to boost profits ,They say get a second oppion,when told you don't have a case.Red neck fundies and they are what will surely be the reason that civilazation ends.

We have a few lawyers out here who advertise like that. (I suppose everyplace has a few.) Everytime I hear Frank Azar go "I'll get you as much as I can, as fast as I can", I think [sarcasm]you're mother must be so proud.[/sarcasm]

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  10:36:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
This one is for Stanley Steamer. Starts out showing a kid jumping up and down on a squirt bottle of chocolate. Chocolate is spewing all over the living room. Announcer asks "Does your kid ever act like a kid?"
Excuse me. This is not a kid acting like a kid. This is a kid acting like a candidate for boarding school.
The commercial seems to give the impression that this sort of thing is commonplace. I don't have kids, so I'll ask the forum members: would it be as cutsey-poo as the commercial implies if your kid did this?

Lisa, ever hear of a tanned backside?

Mr. Spock, my kid misbehaves in a store, (even at her age - she's 12) I'll pick her up and walk out. She's learned that I mean it too, from an early age.

---
...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Spock
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  11:39:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mr. Spock a Private Message
Thanks, Trish. I'm not saying that all parents are unconcerned about their children's behaviour in public places, and I appreciate those who make an effort.

I remember, however, how my parents never even thought about bringing us along when important decisions were to be made, such as picking out furniture. It's not fair to anyone involved. There is little else for children to do except to get "into trouble" in most establishments (I do provide childrens books for those who care to use them; however, they usually just collect dust). The parent cannot make an informed decision if he or she is also involved in keeping the children in line. I often feel like I'm wasting my time, and that of other customers waiting for service, if I end up explaining the same thing 3 or 4 times to a distracted parent (this is especially true if I have invested a significant amount of time with a person who only ends up marching out with an unruly child).

"Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what is right." --Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Badger
Skeptic Friend

Canada
257 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  22:39:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Badger a Private Message
Spock, as a parent, I'm kind of thinking if you invested in a PS2 for a "kids room" at work, you may make some headway.

My kids tend to shovel large piles of dirt from here to there when they misbehave (the goat shed needed shoveling last week. They were SO happy)

Ads in general, drive me to go outside and do something useful. I DON'T need another burger, or a bigger TV or an easier way of doing ANYTHING. So F off and get on with the show. Otherwise, I'm gonna read me a book or sumpin.

If you think it's work, you're doing it wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Omega
Skeptic Friend

Denmark
164 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2002 :  17:38:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Omega an ICQ Message Send Omega a Private Message
What torque me, is the latest idea among commercial TV-stations here in DK: They've conspired, so they ALL show their commercials at about the same time. So you'll have to zap hard to get away from them!
This add is not here in DK, I saw it when I watched another show recently. The abuse of Martin Luther King's “I have a dream” speech.
Adds that claim chocolate is better than love, sex or friends get me to dangle from the lamp.
Adds that REALLY have to go our of their way to show various specific parts of the female anatomy.
Adds with happily giggling babies, especially for softeners, considering how crappy that is to the environment.
Oh, and… ADDS with cars, always driving by out in clear cool nature, with no other cars in sight.
Grr.
Adds that forget this is the 21st century, and use the Stepford Wife housemother along with a man in a lab-coat.
(Needs a drink by now)

"All it takes to fly is to fling yourself at the ground... and miss."
- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2002 :  00:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Any ad for AT&T that features Carrot Top.
Lisa

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.