Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  16:29:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
The problem, though, with all these conspiracy theories for the Pentagon crach on Sept. 11 is that they ignore the deaths of the 64 people on the plane.

Yeah, this occured to me after looking at their video again.... if it wasn't the 757, where is the hijacked one and the people on it? Doesn't seem likely that a 757 full of people was taken and hidden someplace.... rofl...

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  18:57:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Yes, but the key is "taking in all the evidence." To truly do that for myself, I would need to spend several years getting degrees in structural engineering, aerodynamics and ballistics. Only then would I have the proper background to evaluate such claims.

Since I have neither the time nor inclination to do either, I must defer to the judgements of experts. Like I said earlier, if credible and respected sources were in an uproar, one would have grounds for their skepticism. This is not the case here.

(Sorry to go off topic..)

I completely disagree. I have the ability to judge claims on evolution and claims about the Creation even though I have no advanced degrees in anything related to do with biology, and I don't have anything close to anything doing with the Bible.

Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't evaluate claims and evidence that the experts produce.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  19:09:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
I completely disagree. I have the ability to judge claims on evolution and claims about the Creation even though I have no advanced degrees in anything related to do with biology, and I don't have anything close to anything doing with the Bible.

Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean you can't evaluate claims and evidence that the experts produce.

No, we have the right to form a personal opinion, but not the right to judge. Granted, some things require less technical expertise than others, but the "judging" of theories should be done by experts in their respective field.

The conclusion of the experts is that Evolution is the best theory to explain diversity of species. But you're saying that all school boards should have the right to individually "judge" whether or not the Theory of Evolution has merit, or whether or not it should be taught in their schools? Because I don't. The judgement has already been made. Non-experts shouldn't have a voice in this matter. Science isn't decided by popular vote.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/17/2004 20:07:43
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  22:52:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I don't have to be an expert in any particular science field if the debate on validity involves logic and citation of sufficient evidence. If one wants to evaluate the finer points of a particular science where there is a lot of technical language, then I'd need some background.

Perhaps it is better described as a continuum between pure baseless opinion and full scientific expertise evaluating volumes of evidence.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  22:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
No, we have the right to form a personal opinion, but not the right to judge. Granted, some things require less technical expertise than others, but the "judging" of theories should be done by experts in their respective field.

The conclusion of the experts is that Evolution is the best theory to explain diversity of species. But you're saying that all school boards should have the right to individually "judge" whether or not the Theory of Evolution has merit, or whether or not it should be taught in their schools? Because I don't. The judgement has already been made. Non-experts shouldn't have a voice in this matter. Science isn't decided by popular vote.

I argue that we have just as much right to judge as the experts do. Does an experts opinion matter more to me? Yes, plain and simple, an expert knows what he is talking about. However, I still have just as much right to disagree with an expert. If I can back my position with reason, then I don't give a damn what an expert says, and I see any other view as just Appeal to Authority. An expert's opinion does not override mine, but it does help to shape it. Thats what peer review is all about, and its not just peer review between experts. If what an expert says doesn't make sense, then his opinion has no more value than the average Creationist (ok, thats really low, but its not much higher).

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2004 :  23:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Let's say you've come home from work and found that your house is ringed with caution tape, public works vans, and people in uniforms. You walk up to the guy who appears to be in charge, and introduce yourself. He tells you he's a structural engineer, and after a recent natural disaster, he's found your home to be unstable. "Don't go in there," he says, "it may collapse."

Perhaps you've got skeptical leanings, and feel there's a reason not to blindly trust what the guy says. Maybe it's that you know the guy, and he's jerked you around a little bit before (but never regarding something life-threatening). Maybe you just heard something in his voice which caught you wrong.

No matter what, you go back to your car, fire up your laptop, and - usurping your neighbor's wide-open wireless LAN - start Googling up the information you need to be able to ask the right questions of the engineer, and/or examine the home for yourself to check the veracity of the engineer's opinion. Based upon that brand new knowledge, you choose to either agree or disagree with the expert opinion.

The problem H. Humbert is addressing, it seems to me, is that those people who assume that all opinions are equal would look in the front door, think "it looks okay to me," and just walk in and do their thing. If the house remains standing, they're "vindicated" as being more knowledgable than the so-called "expert," without knowing anything about the subject. If the house collapses and kills them, there's no lesson learned. If the house collapses and they wind up in the hospital (but alive), there will be a lawsuit in the offing, and no lesson learned.

You, Ricky, are wise enough to know when you're outclassed, and due to a lack of resources must trust an expert. H. Humbert seems to have been saying that there's a lot of people in the world who aren't that wise, and trust themselves even when they're completely ignorant. Many creationists, for example (you brought them into this), like verlch, seem to think they know the theory of evolution better than evolutionary biologists, but after a short conversation it's clear that that's not at all the case. Quite the opposite may be true. But, since "opinions are like buttholes - everyone's got one and they all stink," they're unwilling to give any deference to those who are actually experts in the field.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  01:19:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Dave, once again I appreciate your insights. You offer up a fine anology on which to build upon.

Ricky, first let me say that I see where your coming from. I don't think we really disagree a whole lot, and it is probably the way in which I'm using the term "expert." I don't mean merely or exclusively those who hold degrees in a particular field. As Dave noted, if you seek the appropriate knowledge and aquire the perspective need to evaluate a claim, then yes, of course you have a right to come to a decision. I am not claiming that one must always appeal to authority.

But my point is, at some point we all do rely on authority. To use Dave's example again, say you did have concerns about the inspector's claim that the structure was unstable. He is an "expert," and without *any* knowledge of the subject, you should trust him. If you did take the time to inform yourself, you now have earned the right to come to independent conclusions. What I don't feel is that you automatically have the right to an opinion on the matter.

But I would just like to note, even when you are "researching" a topic, who exactly are you consulting if not "other experts?" I don't even mean those strictly alive today, but really all those who have ever contributed to a particular field. Unless you go out with a ruler and a plumb bob and rework the math yourself, you are relying upon the previous insights, discoveries and conclusions of "experts." That is, everyone versed in the collective and codified knowledge of a particular area of study.

Such a reliance upon those who came before us isn't a weakness. In fact, it makes progress possible. I'm simply expressing the view that skepticism has limits. There are times when we shouldn't question the experts without a good reason to do so.

quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal
Perhaps it is better described as a continuum between pure baseless opinion and full scientific expertise evaluating volumes of evidence.

Yes, I could agree with that as well.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/18/2004 01:35:39
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  05:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Great thread; thank you.

I think many conspiracy theorists need to get a hobby instead of inventing shadowy drama where, most likely, none exists.

Loved the comments on experts and when to listen and when to question. I liked that my former doctor would sometimes say, "I don't know why your body does this." Her willingness to admit it helped me trust the the things she did know.

Part of wisdom, IMHO, is knowing what we don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Grant

1 Post

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  23:35:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grant a Private Message
I'm new here, but I just want to add my 2 cents.

My problem with this "theory" is that why would the administration go on the cheap and not use a real 757? Imagine you're the project manager to blow up the Pentagon so that your president can "retaliate" against a country whom your fellow conspiracists mistakenly pin on terrorists of the wrong nationality. (I mean if they're faking it, couldn't they have at least put one Iraqi on the plane?) Would you take the risk of using a completely different aircraft than the one you're claiming was involved? Now, think for a moment the number of people required to pull off procuring a small military jet, UAV or missile. How many people would be willing to face the threat of the death penalty on this scheme? (We're not just talking about bugging a campaign office.) I cannot imagine anyone would sign off on using the smaller craft instead of a real 757. Why would government officials gamble that during the day, thousands of witnesses and recovery personal wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two? If a single missile part was found, or someone took a picture, then you're a dead man walking. And the biggest conspiracy ever to face this nation completely unravels with the possible executions of many administration officials.

The reality is that there are flight instructors, who have no connection to the government, who have come forward and said, "I trained one of the highjackers." Where are the people who back up the conspiracy theorists? Were they all mysteriously killed? It's not enough for a few people with no expertise to claim that the hole was not big enough and there were no big plane parts found. Show me the missile parts, or the person who fueled the UAV, or the air traffic controller who cleared it on the runway. If they can do that, then there's something to talk about.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  06:09:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Grant

I'm new here, but I just want to add my 2 cents.

Hi, Grant. Welcome to the site.

You're totally right in your observations-- even the logic doesn't add up in this conspiracy. If you want it to look like you've crashed a 757 into the Pentagon, and if you're already dead-set upon crashing them into two building in New York, why not just use a real 757 instead of a missle? It doesn't make sense!

And you're right about the flight instructors, too. How do you account for all these flight instructors saying that they trained these people?

It's just too much! If these conspiracy guys just thought it through, couldn't they see that?!?
Go to Top of Page

lord_hevonen

30 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  04:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lord_hevonen a Private Message
take a look at this:

http://www.tuonpuoleinen.com/pertti/conspiracy.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  07:07:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Is that site satire?

I recognize one of those pictures from funnyjunk.com, it was of a crashed airliner at an airport, no where around the time of 911. Its the one on the bottom right (3rd picture). I'm going to take a wild guess to say the other two are of random airplanes.

What I really can't understand is the picture down at the bottom. They are saying that the pentagon was in Utah? What?!?

I really hope this is satire...

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

lord_hevonen

30 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  09:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lord_hevonen a Private Message
Yeah, it's supposed to be satire...i got pissed off after seeing one too many of those Pentagon conspiracy pages and made this one in a hurry. I think the reason people can't recognize this as satire is because it is not funny
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  09:53:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Ok, I quickly breezed over it, reading the text makes it a bit more obvious. What I would do (if I had the time and skill) would be to put like a picture of Osama in there riding on top of the plane or something of that nature. Then, instead of asking, "notice anything missing?" ask, "notice anything weird about these pictures?" and at the bottom put, "Thats right, the pentgon is missing."

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  11:12:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lord_hevonen

take a look at this:

http://www.tuonpuoleinen.com/pertti/conspiracy.htm

Dude, that's hilarious! Nice work. Yeah, I think you pretty much nailed how those consiracy theorists think. I bet you'll hear others picking up on how the government moved the pentagon any day now.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/16/2004 11:12:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.