New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Peter de Blanc

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  19:04:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Peter de Blanc's Homepage  Send Peter de Blanc an AOL message Send Peter de Blanc a Private Message
Missing option:

I really don't know (but I am interested)

Go to Top of Page

HardCore

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  20:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit HardCore's Homepage Send HardCore a Private Message

I voted that they are here and have abducted the occasional person. Not as many as those who claim abduction, but some evidence is somewhat compelling. If we went to a populated planet, wouldn't we take samples? And, it's an old story, but as logical and down-to-earth as I am, I KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN! I must believe my own eyes, and those of other witnesses, so enough said. I couldn't guess at the technology that allows interplanetary travel, and neither could anyone else. The only skeptic my story convinces is me.

Why is the Popemobile bulletproof?
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  22:25:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

And, it's an old story, but as logical and down-to-earth as I am, I KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN! I must believe my own eyes, and those of other witnesses, so enough said.

What do you mean-enough said? That was no where near enough. What did you see?????? What are you talking about?

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2001 :  23:08:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
I voted that they are here and have abducted the occasional person. Not as many as those who claim abduction, but some evidence is somewhat compelling.

What evidence would this be? Why is it compelling? Can it be reproduced? Tested?

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying." ~Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

qthelost

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  03:05:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send qthelost a Private Message
SILENCE!!!!

WE DO EXIST.

AND WE ARE HERE.

^^*^>>^*

Go to Top of Page

ZaphodBeeblebrox
Skeptic Friend

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  03:18:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ZaphodBeeblebrox's Homepage Send ZaphodBeeblebrox a Private Message
We have met with your President.

He was Weak, and Stringy.

Send us Rush Limbaugh!

If you Ignore Your Rights, they WILL, go away.
Go to Top of Page

HardCore

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2001 :  21:51:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit HardCore's Homepage Send HardCore a Private Message
quote:

quote:

And, it's an old story, but as logical and down-to-earth as I am, I KNOW WHAT I'VE SEEN! I must believe my own eyes, and those of other witnesses, so enough said.

What do you mean-enough said? That was no where near enough. What did you see?????? What are you talking about?

-------
The brain that was stolen from my laboratory was a criminal brain. Only evil will come from it.

Well, all I mean by 'enough said' is that details of a personal experience are irrelevant if no 'scientific proof' can be offered. It's just another anecdotal tale. It's just different when you experience it yourself. I am skeptical at first of damn near everything. The craft we saw at close range, we cannot explain away with the usual arguments that since ETs simply do not exist, then it must have been this, or maybe that, or something else. I can't accept everyone's close encounter story as true, but now I know at least there is a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

ZaphodBeeblebrox
Skeptic Friend

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  01:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ZaphodBeeblebrox's Homepage Send ZaphodBeeblebrox a Private Message
Tell me something, was this object Moving

If so, was it in an Arc, from West to East

If Yes, was it somewhere around 0 Magnitude If the answer is Yes, to all of these Questions, then it may be an Identified Flying Object.

If you Ignore Your Rights, they WILL, go away.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2001 :  10:03:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
quote:

The craft we saw at close range, we cannot explain away with the usual arguments that since ETs simply do not exist, then it must have been this, or maybe that, or something else.

You saw a craft, some sort of machine?
Now, since every other machine that you have ever seen was built by people, why come to the conclusion that this one wasn't?

Last year I was walking the dog in the park here in San Francisco at midnight (hey, I'm not young any more--I fell asleep watching TV at 9PM) The night was so clear and beautiful that I stood in the middle of the park staring straight up at all the stars in the blue black sky. As I was watching an enormous black triangle flew over. The only way you could see it was that it was blacker than the clear sky, and blotted out the stars. I heard no noise over the city street noise.
It was weird and beautiful--but all too human. A stealth bomber coming in from a run over the Pacific. It flew right over the Civic Center.

People construct some pretty strange things. What makes you think that ordinary people didn't construct yours?
Though as a scientist I must reject anecdotes--as an Irishman I gain most of my information from them. What's you anecdote?

-------

Edited by - slater on 10/21/2001 10:05:30
Go to Top of Page

HardCore

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  15:42:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit HardCore's Homepage Send HardCore a Private Message
See? There ya go! Any details offered will be "explained" by someone who wasn't there. I am still a skeptic. I'm just not blind. Sorry. Christian fundamentalists won't accept evolution because in their worldview it simply cannot exist since it goes contrary to their Bible. Everyone should open his mind, just a little.

Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  16:18:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
Now see, there you go. Where's the anecdote? If I see/hear/otherwise experience something weird, I'll ask around to get others to air-check my thinking. Slater's example of the B-2 is a good example. Have you ever seen that sucker? It looks a lot like people have descrbe UFOs. How about the 117A? Wow, the stealth mosquito. Or the B1-B zooming by in sweep wing mode? So fast, that by the time you hear it, the pilot is in the officers club having a cold one. (Okay that was an exagerration)
Tell us about your experience. We'll either agree that it was indeed weird, or offer a mundane explanation.
Lisa

Edited by - Lisa on 10/22/2001 16:48:14
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  16:33:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Huh? What?
Let me get this straight...you went to all the trouble to do a web search for skeptic sites,picked this one, then you filled out the registration, and then you looked up this topic so that you could NOT share information?

???????????

Did you just want to claim that you are a skeptic but other skeptics are closed minded because they seek mundane solutions to questions before exploring the extraordinary?

That's not what closed minded means--it implies a willingness to change ones mind. None of us here are closed minded but none of us (as the saying goes) is so open minded that our brains fall out.
If you just wanted to tell us that you are better than we are--well that's nice, I'm glad for you (But you really don't have to be all that hot to be better than me--so you're damning yourself with very faint praise)

-------
Go to Top of Page

HardCore

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  17:45:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit HardCore's Homepage Send HardCore a Private Message
OK, Lisa. Just for you. I'll give you details, but since there are no photos, video or artifacts they will mean nothing. They will only serve to show me as another moron caught up in UFO hysteria. This will not be the first time. I have only one incident to report, but it was memorable. The two other witnesses WILL NOT discuss it with anyone, including me. It was late, probably about 2 a.m. after a night of poker. We do not drink. We retired to the back patio that cool Ohio September night. The house was in the country, and the lawn and a small pond separated us from the fence line of the adjoining field (about 200 yards). A line of small (40-50 ft.) trees dotted the fence line. I first noticed a bright light approaching over the field and asked the others if they saw it. We watched it approach for a few more seconds. It stopped and hovered just behind the trees, and a few feet above them. It was the shape of an upside-down ice cream cone, glowing red on the bottom (the ice cream dip), blue in the center section, and white at the upper tip. It was about as tall as the trees immediately below it. It hovered silently for what seemed like 5 min. Then slowly, it ascended to maybe a thousand feet, paused, then moved away upwards and to our right at unbelievable speed, turning into a small point of light and vanishing. We were dumbstruck. We couldn't take our eyes off of it. I never thought of leaving to go in the house and get the camera. We were transfixed the whole time, not speaking, and afterwards, the other two were more shaken than I and implied they didn't know what it was, and frankly didn't want to know. They both urged me not to discuss it with anyone else, and certainly not to include them if I did. There is no terrestrial craft that can behave this way. Propulsion was totally silent and FAST. Movement did not conform to laws of physics and aerodynamics. I've been over what mundane thing it might have been, but nothing comes close. That night, we saw a UFO up close. Now everyone may go ahead and say secret test aircraft, hallucination or swamp gas. I can hardly believe it myself, but I have to.

Go to Top of Page

Peter de Blanc

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2001 :  20:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Peter de Blanc's Homepage  Send Peter de Blanc an AOL message Send Peter de Blanc a Private Message
quote:

Propulsion was totally silent and FAST. Movement did not conform to laws of physics and aerodynamics. I've been over what mundane thing it might have been, but nothing comes close.

Oh, boo-hoo. Motion did not conform to the laws of physics? What's that supposed to mean? Did it fly at the speed of light?

Anyhow, let's assume (for the sake of argument, even though I don't really believe it) that you're telling the truth and you really saw this and it was not a hallucination.

Slater makes a very good point:
quote:

Now, since every other machine that you have ever seen was built by people, why come to the conclusion that this one wasn't?

People have been inventing new machines for thousands of years, and there are a lot of amazing things out there that would surprise many people - even people who are familiar with modern technology. You ever seen a Sentinel unmanned aircraft? It sounds a lot like what you're describing. It can both move fast and hover.

There's really nothing extraordinary about hovering aircraft with flashing lights, though. You could probably build one yourself with a few cheap parts.

Go to Top of Page

HardCore

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2001 :  07:21:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit HardCore's Homepage Send HardCore a Private Message
Ah,yes. Boo-hoo indeed. Does anyone see why I said the details of this anecdote would be useless? I know if a thinking person hears such a tale, they imagine it to not really be quite as described, so it can fit into what they already think. That is exactly what I still do. We all do it. I'll just say that the laws of physics were violated in that when leaving the area, the "craft" did not accelerate to maximum speed, it STARTED at speed. It was far enough away so as to disappear in a second. It looked like a tracer bullet, only faster. If we had this technology, why the hell was it so difficult and expensive for us to go to Mars? Why does the military still depend on fossil fuel to fly their planes? Actually seeing it makes all the difference, but I know it's not a convincing story, but everyone insisted on hearing it so they could disprove it. Any photos or video I might have taken, if I had thought of it at the time, could have been faked, so this whole thing falls into the realm of angels, fairies and spooks. If anyone really has ever been abducted, their life must be hell on earth trying to convince people (BTW, I doubt abductions, but now must allow for at least the possibility). I've seen something I can't explain away, and neither could anyone else who actually experienced it. Have a nice day.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.