Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  08:13:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Everybody knows that Mr. R is old and single...mmmmmm..but JREF gave to Pennīs friend $ 5000 for her special contribution to the skepticism.

I'm sorry friend, but I still fail to see the crime unless Randi dipped into the JREF till for the money. As he is quite well off, with deep enough pockets of his own, I'd have to see some pretty firm documentation supporting the accusation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2004 :  11:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
originally posted by latinijral:

There is a lot of evidence that show that Mr. R is a fraud .

evidence:

quote:
1 a : an outward sign : INDICATION b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY; specifically : something legally submitted to a tribunal to ascertain the truth of a matter
2 : one who bears witness; especially : one who voluntarily confesses a crime and testifies for the prosecution against his accomplices

fraud:

quote:
1 a : DECEIT, TRICKERY; specifically : intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right b : an act of deceiving or misrepresenting : TRICK
2 a : a person who is not what he or she pretends to be : IMPOSTOR; also : one who defrauds : CHEAT b : one that is not what it seems or is represented to be

I don't see where anything latinijral has posted constitutes evidence of anything, much less fraud on Randi's part. What else ya got, latinijral?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  10:32:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yeah, the JREF keeps its dealings with Penn & Teller strictly hush-hush.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Baza

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2004 :  12:24:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Baza a Private Message
Sorry ...still can't see it??

Baza
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  02:10:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Why should liars be allowed to use SFN as a forum to slander respectable people?
latinijral has had plenty of time to provide evidence for his accusations but have failed to do so.

Delete this thread, it is just insulting to mr Randi!
(Google for "Randi fraud" and this thread appears.)
Sure latinijral has been challenged, but other kooks won't bother to read that.

If latinijral has something valuable to say he can redeem himself in other threads.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 11/30/2004 02:22:59
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  04:37:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Why should liars be allowed to use SFN as a forum to slander respectable people?
latinijral has had plenty of time to provide evidence for his accusations but have failed to do so.

If latinijral has something valuable to say he can redeem himself in other threads.

I wouldn't delete it, ridiculous as much of it is. I think it pretty much debunks the topic, as no evidence has been put forth against Mr. Randi. The kooks will believe what they want to believe, regardless; the critical and the curious will want to check it out more thourghly.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  05:27:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I wouldn't delete it, ridiculous as much of it is. I think it pretty much debunks the topic, as no evidence has been put forth against Mr. Randi. The kooks will believe what they want to believe, regardless; the critical and the curious will want to check it out more thourghly.
Whisper campaigns have succeeded in the past.
(Where there's smoke...)

I really don't mind crackpots making unsubstantiated claims about evolution or ghosts but this is about an individual and the goal is to hurt him with this rumor.

We can show that the rumor lacks supportive evidence, (and people have done that,) but the burden shifting bozos will just point out that the Randi worshippers of SFN can't prove that its false.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:05:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
As filthy has already pointed out, the "burden shifting bozos" are going to believe what they want to believe, regardless of the facts. The JREF can protect its interests just fine, it does not need us to help by deleting things that are just insulting.

And, on the other hand, if the JREF would like more evidence in any possible legal action they might bring against latinjral, they're free to use this thread, even though I'm sure they've already got lots of "ammunition" from the JREF forums and elsewhere, more is better. Deleting the thread, in such a case, might actually hinder the JREF's ability to defend itself completely.

(Of course, there are juridictional problems which would hinder prosecution right now, but there's no telling if that situation might change.)

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2004 :  11:13:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Latinijral has attacked Randi and his attacks have been found lacking. To me, this only strengths Randi and his credibility.

Edited to add:

And besides, we can't just delete posts of people who disagree with us. Thats not very skeptical, now is it.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 11/30/2004 11:15:55
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  02:13:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
Latinijral has attacked Randi and his attacks have been found lacking. To me, this only strengths Randi and his credibility.

Yea and to me the swift boat lies strengthened Kerrys credibility.
You have at least 2 posters on this board that think that links to web sites and forum discussions are evidence.
quote:
And besides, we can't just delete posts of people who disagree with us. Thats not very skeptical, now is it.
That was not the point! That is a fine example of a straw man.

If the consensus is that this thread should remain I have no problem with that. I find the level of moderation on this forum to be excellent and deletion of threads and other forms of censorship should be avoided if possible and only used with great care.
Sometimes they have to be used however. (Is it legal to keep slander on a internet forum?)
Maybe not this time.

-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  02:29:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

As filthy has already pointed out, the "burden shifting bozos" are going to believe what they want to believe, regardless of the facts. The JREF can protect its interests just fine, it does not need us to help by deleting things that are just insulting.

And, on the other hand, if the JREF would like more evidence in any possible legal action they might bring against latinjral, they're free to use this thread, even though I'm sure they've already got lots of "ammunition" from the JREF forums and elsewhere, more is better. Deleting the thread, in such a case, might actually hinder the JREF's ability to defend itself completely.

(Of course, there are juridictional problems which would hinder prosecution right now, but there's no telling if that situation might change.)
I'm confident that you and the other staff here handle such things in a proper way.

It is better when you feel that the moderators are too forgiving than when you feel that they are too strict.
(On BABB I drew complaints when I used the word "shitty" )
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2004 :  10:43:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Starman wrote:
quote:
(Is it legal to keep slander on a internet forum?)
Well, in the U.S. (where both Randi and the SFN servers are located), libel (written slander) is a civil offense, and not criminal. In other words, the person who's being libelled must bring suit against the offender. It's not a situation where the government will step in on someone's behalf (like with a theft).

That being said, if we're contacted by a JREF representative, who wants us to eliminate libellous statements here, I'll gladly archive the originals for them, and then delete as little as possible to comply (after all, this discussion has drifted a bit, and there's no reason to delete all the posts). It certainly wouldn't be our intent to maintain every jot and tittle in spite of what the JREF would like, as doing so would open us up to legal ugliness.
quote:
I'm confident that you and the other staff here handle such things in a proper way.
Thanks.
quote:
It is better when you feel that the moderators are too forgiving than when you feel that they are too strict.
For the record, the only things I've deleted around here were potential copyright violations, and I left links to the originals. While copyright infringement is another civil offense, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act is an ugly piece of work, and it's much better to be proactive and self-policing while it's in effect.
quote:
(On BABB I drew complaints when I used the word "shitty" )
Well, that's just craptacular. Seriously, whether or not one allows four-letter words on a forum is a matter of what kind of forum one wants to have. I'm betting that Phil Plait would prefer his forum to be acceptable to the parents of the children who find it. Here, I'm of the opinion that the vast majority of people who read the forums are adults. I would prefer that people avoid gratuitous profanity, just in case we suddenly get an influx of 14-year-olds, but I'm not going to publicly spank anyone over it.

Edited to add: Hell, look at the title of this thread!

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  01:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
It was not actually Phil that complained, but that was the reason.
Well its Phil's board and his rules.
Go to Top of Page

latinijral
Banned

197 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  12:47:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send latinijral a Private Message
It is a fact.

JREF gave $ 5000 from donations to a young girl called "Moefox".

Father of the new skepticism

Cuneiformist "But yeah, I'm sick of latinijral. And his "new "skepticism"!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2004 :  14:12:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by latinijral

It is a fact.

JREF gave $ 5000 from donations to a young girl called "Moefox".

You haven't given anything for us to confirm this as 'fact'. As long as you don't, it is rumor at best.
Furthermore, in case you missed it latinrijal, nobody here cares. Give it up, you don't substantiate your point and even if you would nobody here would care. Why don't you just take your ramblings elsewhere?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.