Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  22:53:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I wrote:
quote:
...except for the fact that I told you that I'd spent 20 years on similar searches.
I would like to apologize for the above phrase. It was not Storm, but Doomar with whom I was discussing the "20 years" stuff. Sorry about that, Storm.

The rest of that section of that post,
quote:
Which implies that I have not. You have no idea how much effort I may have put into this. To ignore that is rude.
still stands as a valid criticism.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  23:17:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
And all I can think of is that book would be right up verlch's alley.

Oh, man, you are so right. That bit of reverse psychology concerning indentifying Freemasons I wrote in a Verlch thread was essentially parroted straight from this text. It's a somewhat interesting read, though I must admit being fairly disappointed in the book. Still, I'm not one to put a book down once I've begun, and some of the history is actually pretty good, though stretched.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2004 23:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  00:03:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
Have you checked this website out...
http://www.synchronizeduniverse.com/index.html
Trippin...

I checked it out, and guess what jumped up on me, begging for attention:
quote:
This website offers a brief overview of some of this information. For a more complete description, order the book The Synchronized Universe, here.

Purchase the Video The Synchronized Universe, here

(Emphasis added by Dr. Mabuse)

All I see is a bunch of people hoping to make an easy buck off gullible people. But that's just the way I am...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  06:13:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
I was not like someone who claimed they did not care about Spiritualism nor dis they care to research it...
Who said that? To make anonymous character assassinations is even more rude.

That would be me.

True, I wasn't thinking very straight yesterday. I've been quite busy with college's exams, writing, annoying relatives and things like that. I might've sounded wrong, and most likely did. Doesn't matter, thought, as it still stands true: I never cared enough to go research about 'spiritualism', that Storm is kind enough to not even define in a manner so I have at least a notion of what I will be going to research. What in the bloody hell is that spiritualism you talk so much about, accuses us of being chained to, but never define (nor answer)?

The Spiritualism as I know it is the one first thought up by Allan Kardec. No, I haven't read it. I've never had that particular interest; my interests lie on physics and quantum mechanics. That I've studied, willingly, since I was nine (yeah, I'm weird. Sue me). My mother did explore 'spiritualism' (Allan Kardec's), she gave me a notion about it, but I wasn't compelled to study it further. If you answer me, maybe I'll go do it. Maybe I'll be curious. But so far, I see nothing to spark my interest.

How can I be "chained" to something I don't even know what is? Maybe I am. Who knows? I'm asking a simple question.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  06:51:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
For storm

www.Skepdic.com (how to think critically)this will have our views on all the goofy, no evidence topics you are interested in. Please dont come back without evidence. This is the fourth thread where you are trying to convince us of various paranormal activities and you have yet to provide evidence of your claims outside of heresay and untestable phenomenon.

Science IS everything in the universe, if paranormal IS then it is part of science. No way around it.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 12/03/2004 06:53:40
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  07:28:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
So now I can't come back. That is unfortunate well at least I got you all to think a little. It is too bad that you took such little time in the evidence I gave you. It's funny but it took me a lot longer to go through the research than you all did? Does not say much for your methodology. I thought at leas there would be some feedback on the Journals I had asked you guys to read. A glance will not do it. Some of your post were immediately after mine how could that give you anytime to really contemplate? I willing to learn more about Science? Are you ready to know more about the paranormal? Read the Journals on PSI ?
You guys sound like a bunch of Debunkers not Skeptics?

Storm
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  07:33:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
You can do as you wish, I have no authority here. You suppied no evidence btw. Those are not scientific journals. I have read plenty on the subject and have found nothing which would prove it in any way. Try Skeptic or Skeptical Inquirer instead of PSItoday magazine.

Read through the Skep dic entries on those subjects they destroy the arguments quite completely.

You also falsly assume we are no educated on these subjects, when in fact many of us know more about them than you do.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 12/03/2004 07:35:18
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
You guys sound like a bunch of Debunkers not Skeptics?
And you sound like the average True believer of nutty ideas.
Totally void of any interesting information.

You tell us to read ?!?

Go learn about what science, evidence, facts and skepticism mean!

Of course I have not wasted my time with your reading suggestions (though others have). Unless you can provide me with something (lets say, something more than anecdotes) to spark my interest I have better things to do.

You probably read those articles and we all can see how close minded, deluded and void of usable knowledge you appear.

You have been given much and offered nothing (except maybe an anecdote) and now all you have left is whining and insults, but be my guest post it.
Maybe someone will bother to read it.

I will not.
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:11:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Why are they not Scientific Journals? They do the methodology. I think maybe you should try reading PSI today instead of your Skeptical magazine. Maybe spend a little more time on it. You don't want to be immediately debunk. But then again maybe you are predisposotioned to that.
So BigPapaSmurf what do you know about these subjects? What do any of you know? I am always open to new ideas. One must be to be a true Scientist
Many Scientist of the past were persecuted for Theories. Thoeries we know hold to be true ...
Does the claim really come after the evidence?
Are they one in the same...
That requires much more contemplation...
Why not share our thoughts about a particular Journal.
The Compendium for PSI was excellant
Interestiny piece of history about the break with J.B. Rhine and Duke University and how the sudy of Parapyschology was affected.

Storm
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:15:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
I am not a whiner just as I am not rude. Read the Damn Journal Starman. Read the ones on PSI. Read the Comendium for PSI on the European Parapyschology foundation
It is time for the new Science to arise..
Maybe after all that blind double blind sh@&t you'll open your eyes

Storm
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  08:31:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

I am not a whiner just as I am not rude. Read the Damn Journal Starman. Read the ones on PSI. Read the Comendium for PSI on the European Parapyschology foundation
It is time for the new Science to arise..
Maybe after all that blind double blind sh@&t you'll open your eyes

What new science might that be? Who will be doing the studies and what are their credentials? What methods will they apply and will their findings be peer reviewed? Will they publish in a refereed journal such as Nature, Copiea, or Science?

I might remind that those who persecuted those early scientists were the very believers in superstitions that you seem to be fervrently supporting.

I am beginning to find this amusing.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  09:05:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The stupidity might lend it some amusement but the willful ignorance just makes it sad and tiresome.

Reminds me of the Ford Fairline quote :

"Conversation with Zuzu Petals was like masturbating with a cheese grater: slightly amusing, but mostly painful."

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Edited by - Starman on 12/03/2004 09:06:29
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  09:18:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Im sorry storm, but we get frustrated when year after year we hear that there is tons of evidence for these things, yet it never surfaces when the professional peer-reviewed studies are done, EVER. For many many years there has been a million dollar reward for anyone who can prove in a proper study where every variable is carefully documented, that PSI-anything exists or ghosts or chi or whatever mystical undecetable energy force you can think of. Surely some of the numerous people who have proof and experience in these feilds could prove it for us once? No, and its not because they dont want the money like many claim.

See how the Skep dic site is structured? On the things it disagrees with it provides numerous links to both sides of the arguement to back up its claims with clear rational statements, these PSI studies are notorious for quote mining (taking a statement out of context and twising its meaning or downright misunderstanding it) and they make wild conclusions from little or no data, data which cannot be repeated (without cheating in many cases) An example is coming to the conclusion that the dead rise from the grave and walk around in mostly undetecable form that can barely interact with us, all because you saw a slipper move. Clearly any fantastic explanation is equally as good, such as fleas which can realease a huge amount of stored energy to lift things millions of times heavier than they are. You see the second statement is extraordinary, yet it is much more based in the reality which we know than the first, 1) small things store great energy 2) bugs have been known to lift many many times their weight 3) fleas exist 4) unknown insects are plentiful.

Ok im done.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  09:55:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The stupidity might lend it some amusement but the willful ignorance just makes it sad and tiresome.

Reminds me of the Ford Fairline quote :

"Conversation with Zuzu Petals was like masturbating with a cheese grater: slightly amusing, but mostly painful."

Ah, but it is hilarious when someone else is masturbating with a cheese grater, and it looks more and more, figurativly speaking, like that's what we have here.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  10:14:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Whoeversaid it was a ghost? Are you talking about the Umm Magician again the Umm Debunker. What kind of Scientist is he? What are his credentials?
I'll take the advice on Superstition but you must also
Science is based on theory that is based on theory...
Don't get yourself in a rut Stagnate
Read those Journals I suggested from the umm Acrredited Scientist writing them...

Open Your mind...
But Do not let it fall out ....

Storm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.