Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  08:07:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blindwillie

Im new here and i would like to know what skeptics listen to. But try to stick with your favorites from the past. Im just curiouse. im new here and i would like to make new friends.

Well, my musical tastes are pretty diverse. Short of free-form Jazz and Rap, I don't think theres a genre I don't like.

Favorites tend towards the 1980's Euro Techno-pop and some show tunes from Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and Sweeney Todd.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  08:22:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Whoa man. Let's go by category:
1. Classical - Tchaikovisky, Beethoven, Mozart, Rachmaninoff, Wagner, some Bach (organ, mainly), Vivaldi, Ravel..
2. Classic rock - I love and adore Queen. Then Beatles, Eagles, America, The Doors, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Rollin' Stones, The Carpenters (sort of), and... yeah. The list goes on.
3. New age/Celtic - Enya, ERA, Loreena McKennitt, Clannad... let's just say I can sing in gaelic.
4. Nowdays rock - Evanescence, Linkin' Park (sort of), Nickelback, The Corrs.

I prefer classical/classic rock, though.
Oh, and Filthy: gregorian chants! I've a double cd, imported from the States I don't like it that much, though.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 01/28/2005 08:24:44
Go to Top of Page

Blindwillie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  14:41:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blindwillie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:

Nice,
filthy i like all that solo stuff to.
H.Humbert, what do you mean about why you dont like jazz? i dont understand your reason.

Say, are you the reincarnation of Blind Willie McTell?

no, my user name is for Blind WIllie Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Blindwillie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  14:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blindwillie a Private Message
in case yall didnt know..
Im kils son..
Go to Top of Page

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  14:55:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
Before 30
Judas Priest, Maiden, Queensryche, Rush, Journey, AC/DC, Zagar & Evans, Beatles, Peter Allen, ABBA oh yeah FALCO

After 30
Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Petra, Enya, Clanaad, Sara Brightman, Bocelli, Papa Roach,
Tom Lehrer. non-fluff Christian Music. Soundtracks by Basil Poledorus, Musicals like Sweeney Todd, Chess, Jesus Christ Superstar W/ Ian Gillian and Murray Head.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  15:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Oh, man... I don't believe I forgot Sarah Brightman...
And btw, welcome Blindwillie aka Kil's son!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  16:02:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Welcome to the SFN, Blindwillie!

Great thread. I know I will forget some music I love, but here goes (in no particular order): Jackson Browne, Aerosmith, Pachelbel, Billy Joel, Pink Floyd, Barenaked Ladies (yeah, I know but I like 'em!), B.B. King, Louie Armstrong, Jimmy Buffett, The Police, The Ennis Sisters (Celtic), Mandala (local Bluegrass), Neil Young, Bach, The Eagles, John Prine...

... and I agree with filthy about Gregorian chants, but not gospel.

Have you seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? There was some great gosple, done a'capela, in it.

I'm not wild about all of it, but what we hear around here is pretty good.

I also am a regular listener to Back Porch Music on NPR, Fri, Sat And Sunday evenings.

Edited to add that Blind Willie McTell was a street singer in the thirties and forties.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 01/28/2005 16:12:15
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  08:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Im new here and i would like to know what skeptics listen to.

Welcome Blindwillie.

In no particular order: Steely Dan, Tom Waits, Cowboy Junkies, Elvis Costello, Warren Zevon, The Who, Neil Young, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Los Lobos, Jimi Hendrix, REM, Dave Matthews Band, Robert Cray, Flaming Lips, Fountains of Wayne, Jeff Beck, Wallflowers, Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, Springsteen, Bob Marley, Allman Brothers, Phish.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:25:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Hey Blindwillie, how about listing some of your favorites?

And yes, Blindwillie is my youngest son.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Blindwillie

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:35:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Blindwillie a Private Message
well my favorite rock group is the stones.
but i mainly like stuff from the 20s 30s and 40s.
Like Leadbelly, The Mills Brothers, Blind WIllie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Rev. Gary Davis, Cab Calloway, Lonie Johnson, (certainly the Johnsons are pretty talented) John Hurt, Chalie Patton, and many more.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  14:34:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Im kils son..

Wow, Boron has a brother! Cool... Hello, and welcome Willie.

My brother uses the handle PhoenixPaw, but he hasn't written here for at least a year. He mostly hang around helgo.net (saint-net) where he knows more people who share his Wiccan beliefs.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  13:33:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Have you seen O Brother, Where Art Thou? There was some great gosple, done a'capela, in it.

I have, and you're right. I should've known better than to disagree with you.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  14:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Music is as music does, I think. I like classical -- there's some going on the radio even as I write -- but when it starts to sound like somebody died, I lose intrest very quickly. Also, I find a fair amount of the blues to be repetitious, although I like the music of many individual bluesmen.

Today's Country and Western sucks, but the old stuff, 'Hillbilly' is mostly excellent. Kitty Wells, Hank Snow, Roy Acuff, and so forth.

As mentioned before, Gregorian chants are great, but only when taken in small doses. But then, here's a series of chants that can go all night: Chants for the Feast of St. Ursula (11,000 virgine) done by Hildegard von Bingen. Gorgeous voice! Great stuff!

Also like the Red Clay Ramblers, Stan Rogers, The Irish Rovers, Most of the solo atrists from Appalachia. I like Blue Grass, but more and more, I find that it sounds a little, well, 'mass produced', for lack of a better word.

In short, I like a little of everything, but not a whole lot of anything, all at one time.

Edited to add that I also like Ladysmith Black Mambazo, but like the chants, It's best in moderation.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/01/2005 14:25:04
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  15:01:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Im kils son..

So now we have a new minnie Kil? hehe

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  15:25:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
Favorites tend towards the 1980's Euro Techno-pop and some show tunes from Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, and Sweeney Todd.

Ok, filthy has managed to make me reconsider Jazz and Gospel, but I think "show tunes" might be my absolute most hated form of music. (Sorry, Valiant) It's the only music that might drive me to violence if I were forced to listen to it for any prolonged length of time.

Yes, I'm sure there are some tolerable numbers you could name, but as a whole I detest it. I can't watch musicals of any kind, including the Wizard of Oz, Sound of Music, or Chicago.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.