Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  16:07:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Show tunes are pretty far down on my list, too, although I like some few shows. The old Danny Kay movies were great. Modern stuff doesn't do much for me.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2005 :  19:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
70s AM Gold: Firefall, Seals & Crofts, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, Boz Scaggs, Dr. Hook, Bread.

Disco (you know you like it): ABBA, The Bee Gees.

Funk: Earth Wind & Fire

80s pop metal/rock: Triumph, Saga, April Wine, Styx, Night Ranger, Boston, REO, Kansas.

General rock: Bruce Springsteen, Eagles, MeatLoaf, Crosby Stills & Nash, Moody Blues, Melissa Etheridge

Newer stuff: Goo Goo Dolls, Cold Play, Pearl Jam (ok, they're 90s but still), Fuel.

I could post about music for pages so I'll stop.

Welcome, son of Kil.
Edited by - Renae on 02/01/2005 19:22:32
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  00:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Hey, Kil's son BlindWillie. Welcome to the board, and I can certainly see why you chose the Blind Willie handle. Blind Willie Johnson was one of the best, especially with the sacred music. Man, his voice carried the power of his convictions, and he was certainly one of the best early slide men.

I was first turned on to Blind Willie Johnson several years back. I was listening to Son House and reading the liner notes back in the days of vinyl. I came to find that House covered ‘John the Revelator' and ‘Motherless Children' (Mother's Children Have a Hard Time) from a Texas spiritual singer named Johnson. So, I had to check him out. My favorites by Johnson are ‘Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground' and ‘Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed'.

Man, the way he plays slide and reaches out with that gravelly voice sends chills down my spine.

Personally, I enjoy all Roots music and most World. I look for the beginnings—the first evolutions. Mostly, I get into all Blues, Old Time Country (with some early Honky Tonk, but mostly pre-Bluegrass), early Jazz, Bop and even some Progressive, and I love the local stuff here in Louisiana. I enjoy New Orleans Jazz, Swamp Pop, Carnival and New Orleans R&B, but mostly I love Swamp Blues, Zydeco and Cajun.

As a matter of fact, I recently attended the show at Grant Street Dance Hall where Henry Gray celebrated his 80th birthday and Lil'Buck Senegal celebrated his 64th. The jam was really hot with Lil' Buck on guitar and Mr. Henry on piano. Then, they were joined by Buckwheat Zydeco on the Hammond organ. You never know who's going to show up.

Thinking about 80th birthday celebrations, we caught Gatemouth Brown's 80th back in the spring. That's what's great about Louisiana. There's so many greats around here.

The newer stuff I enjoy is also from locals. They include Tab Benoit, Sonny Landreth, Kenny Neal, John Lisi and Larry Garner among many. John Campbell's good, but unfortunately dead.

I could rattle on forever, but I'll spare the fine folks of this forum my tedious ramblings.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2005 :  08:12:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Disco (you know you like it): ABBA, The Bee Gees.

I must remind you that we here in Chicago are celebrating the 30th anniversary of "Disco Demolition".

The Insane Coho Lips will not be denied.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2005 :  22:58:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthyJohnny Cash and The Pearl are in a class of their own.

Ok, if you happen to be the poor soul who disagrees with filthy's statement, I feel sorry for you, because he is indeed correct. They are in a class of their own.

If you've never seen Cash's video (and one can hardly call it a "video") of Hurt (the last before he died), you can find it here (scroll down the page some, near the bottom). A work of art. If you aren't moved to tears, you're made of stone, I say.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/05/2005 23:08:18
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  00:15:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
If you've never seen Cash's video (and one can hardly call it a "video") of Hurt (the last before he died), you can find it here (scroll down the page some, near the bottom). A work of art. If you aren't moved to tears, you're made of stone, I say.

Along with several other songs from his last album this one was a cover. Hurt was written by Trent Reznor and done by his band Nine Inch Nails originally.

Cash added the weight of his pain and personal experience to the song... and yes, if you are not moved by his rendition of it, you aren't human.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  00:51:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
Well, I am a fan of classical music in general, and many forms of instrumental work. I regularly listen to the Classical Music on NPR. As for classic rock, I'm not an overall fan, however, I was never one to jump into the mainstream (although I certainly enjoy Beethoven and as far as classical music goes, he's the most famed musician that I'm aware). I have to say classical music is what I regularly listen to, and other than a couple of files on the computer I don't own any records of classical music, so the dominating genres of music I own are metal (emperor, dimmu borgir, children of bodom, old man's child), hip hop (aesop rock, dr. octagon, jurassic 5, quasimoto), and indescribables (hella, tortoise, against me, animal collective).

What am I thinking? I almost completely forgot the 80s collection I own. Blondie, Depeche Mode, the Cure, Devo, and other very mainstream 80s music. I've just fallen in love, to swim to the deepest depths takes effort and time.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  04:45:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
"Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Bentz,
My friends all drive Porches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends;
Oh Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Bentz..."

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose..."

Ah, Janis -- we miss ya, babe!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  08:59:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Watching "Hurt" is like having your insides carved out with a lineoleum cutter. The Man I Almost Married (MIAM) loved Cash and used to play his old stuff too--most of which wasn't exactly cheery. Depressive guy, that Cash. But talented.

I forgot to mention the music I grew up with:

Janis Joplin (my mom loved her), Simon & Garfunkel, Badfinger, Mamas & the Papas, Glen Campell (okay, bordering on nerdy here but he's cool anyway), John Denver, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Ventures...

and nobody here has touched on Grunge, the music of my pretentious collegiate angst. Am I the only one who remembers when Kurt Cobain died?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2005 :  14:13:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Am I the only one who remembers when Kurt Cobain died?

To quote a band who has been quoted to say that their song was NOT about Cobain...

"....hey man, nice shot!"

Cobain was popular when I was 21-ish. I never really liked his music, and was seriously unimpressed by his style. There were so many better groups in the grunge thing. Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam(allthough I HATE pearljam nowdays, the pricks announced a concert here and put the tickets on-sale via ticketmaster in one hour of the announcement... at 2pm on a tuesday, so nobody with a real job had a chance of getting a ticket... they did it because they didn't want any advertising from ticketmaster on the back of the tickets to their show. Never bought another PearlJam album or concert ticket since)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.