New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  11:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Falwell doesn't wear a turban.

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  12:00:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
quote:
Let's see. Jerry Falwell hates gays, liberals, agnostics, atheists, secular humanists, anyone who doesn't share his religious views, a secular America.

The Taliban hate...ummm...gays, liberals, agnostics, atheists, secular humanists, anyone who doesn't share their religious views, a secular America.

OK. I give up. Exactly what is the difference here?

You forgot "wants to keep women second class citizens" :P

"Goddammit! The world is just filling up with more and more idiots! And the computer is giving them access to the world! They're
spreading their stupidity! At least they were contained before--now they're on the loose everywhere!"?
Go to Top of Page

Piltdown
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  12:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Piltdown an AOL message  Send Piltdown a Yahoo! Message Send Piltdown a Private Message
Another bitter irony:
ABC reports that Indian intelligence has furnished video of Taliban sympathizers in Pakistan using pictures of former President Clinton for target practice. Right wing fanatics in this country have, of course, used the very same kinds of targets for several years, notwithstanding its illegality.

Abducting UFOs and conspiring against conspiracy theorists since 1980.
Go to Top of Page

rubysue
Skeptic Friend

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  12:31:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rubysue a Private Message
Here's a link to an article written by Richard Dawkins yesterday. He hits the nail on the head, in my humble opinion. The motivating factors for this terrorist attack are almost completely indefensible.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,552295,00.html

rubysue

If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.

Go to Top of Page

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  12:32:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I think that I am more afraid of the coming years than I have been during the past week. Just wait and see what the ultra-conservative loonie tunes around the world and, particularly, in the United States (of course) will have in store for the rest of us.

It is very depressing.

ljbrs

*Nothing is more damaging to a new truth than an old error.* Goethe
Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  12:48:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
quote:
We -- with God's help -- call on every Muslim who believes in God and wishes to be rewarded to comply with God's order to kill the Americans and plunder their money wherever and whenever they find it. We also call on Muslim ulema, leaders, youths, and soldiers to launch the raid on Satan's U.S. troops and the devil's supporters allying with them, and to displace those who are behind them so that they may learn a lesson. ---fatwah Feb. 1998

Well Mr. Falwell has never said anything like this, he has come close though. Perhaps we are so accustom to religious rhetoric from fundamentalists that we tend to ignore their ignorant ranting, at least I do. After all, Mr. Falwell may truly believe that Mr. Laden was sent by God to punish America for its evil ways.

The ability to rationalize anything good as being ‘Godly' and anything bad as ‘Evil' is very common, however the ability to rationalize bad things as punishment from God in response to the ‘evil ways of man' is a fear mongering tactic that works quite well on the ignorant.

Perhaps more people will listen to all religious rhetoric and attempt to expose its irrationality.

Go to Top of Page

rubysue
Skeptic Friend

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  13:00:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send rubysue a Private Message
Fascinating! History repeats itself and, once again, we didn't pay attention.

This fatwah dictates specific actions and intent, just like "Mein Kampf" did (and countless other manifestos released by fanatics over history).

Motive, means and opportunity have presented themselves quite clearly (including those many dry runs - embassy bombings, USS Cole -and numerous failed attempts), but I guess we were still engaged in a Cold War mindset that looked at a different type of enemy.

Here's a possible connection that I haven't heard anyone mention - what about the flight of EgyptAir 990? The investigation has led to the conclusion that the copilot took over and deliberately crashed that 767 into the ocean. I wonder if there has been any attempt to discern whether he was a possible member of this terrorist coalition (Egypt continues to deny that he committed suicide, by the way).

rubysue

If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun.

Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2001 :  13:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
There is a thread I participated in about Egypt Air flight 990, TWA 800 and a few other things at the peanutsgang bbs.

Conclusions about Egypt Air flight 990 start on page 20 of the NTSB pdf document, it's 77 pages long.

There are links to reese, sightings and the enterprise mission that allege all sorts of things. In my opinion the constant NNE course of the aircraft combined with the down and up and down vertical flight pattern would make a ‘localized' suicidal intent much more likely. {ie he only intended to kill everyone on the airplane}
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2001 :  07:31:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
On today's (9/21) "Weekend Edition Saturday" on National Public Radio, Scott Simon read a devastating editorial that was among the best comments on the Falwell incident I've heard so far.

He first played a tape of part of the infamous dialog between Falwell and Robertson, blaming the attacks (in part) on abortionists, gays, the ACLU, et al.

Then Simon revealed that one of the passengers on the Pennsylvania plane who rose against the hijackers was a gay man.

He went on to lump Falwell and his ilk with bin Laden, and ask a rhetorical question: if you were on a hijacked airliner, who would you rather sit next to, the miserable Falwell or the courageous man who fought back? More to the point... who do you think is closer to God?

I'll add a link to the audio archive as soon as it's available on www.npr.org -- meanwhile you'll just have to take my word for it: it was beautiful!

-- Donnie B.

Brian: "No, no! You have to think for yourselves!" Crowd: "Yes! We have to think for ourselves!"
Go to Top of Page

Donnie B.
Skeptic Friend

417 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2001 :  14:41:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Donnie B. a Private Message
Here's the link to Scott Simon's NPR commentary on Falwell:

http://www.npr.org/ramfiles/wesat/20010922.wesat.14.ram

It's a Real Audio clip. Enjoy.

-- Donnie B.

Go to Top of Page

EnderNow1

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2001 :  04:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send EnderNow1 an AOL message Send EnderNow1 a Private Message
Check out www.theonion.com. Under Falwell's picture it states "Is this guy a dick or what?"

It's a magical world out there, let's go exploring!
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  08:51:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I think we all agree that Falwell's and Robertson's comments are complete nonsense, but something else is bothering me. How else, within Judeo-Christian framework, does the theist explain his God's behavior, or lack thereof, in this case? I suspect the freewill argument will enter here, but that brings its own problems. Anything else?

This signature does not exist.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  09:20:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Ah, well, you see, the act itself was evil perpetrated by evil persons and was not condoned by the Judeo-Christian god. Despite their acting in the right by their view of their god, some combination of the Judeo-Chrisitan-Islamic god I suppose. Since the revelation to Muhammed was supposed to clarify both Christ and the OT.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." ~Blaise Pascal
Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  09:54:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
quote:
…How else, within Judeo-Christian framework, does the theist explain his God's behavior, or lack thereof, in this case?… ---PhDreamer

Sing a song, kill the enemy, and sort out the theology later.

Battle Hymn of the Republic

by Julia Ward Howe

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;
He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;
He hath loosed the fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword:
His truth is marching on.
I have seen him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps;
They have builded him an altar in the evening dews and damps;
I can read his righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;
His day is marching on.
I have read a fiery gospel, writ in burnished rows of steel:
"As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal;
Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
Since God is marching on."
He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;
He is sifting out the hearts of men before his judgment-seat;
Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer him! be jubilant, my feet!
Our God is marching on.
In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
With a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me:
As he died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Faith ~ 2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  11:16:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
I understand some things that make faith an attractive alternative to the rigors of reality, but this is just ridiculous. I mean, the needle just snapped off my portable cognitive dissonance meter. I have never seen rationalizing on such a scale before.

This signature does not exist.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.