Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  12:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

How else, within Judeo-Christian framework, does the theist explain his God's behavior, or lack thereof, in this case?

Don't forget, there's always the Get-Out-of-Logic-Free card: "We can't understand the mind of God, but we know He loves us!".

------------

And if rain brings winds of change
let it rain on us forever.
I have no doubt from what I've seen
that I have never wanted more.
Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  12:25:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
“Hawks in the Vatican have been emphasizing the self-defense part of the doctrine to such an extent that the pope's newspaper Osservatore Romano felt there was a risk that there would be an impression that Pope John Paul II had given his approval for US strikes against Afghanistan.

In fact in his main speech on the issue, made on September 22 on his arrival for a visit to Kazakhstan, the pope said: "Difficult questions should be resolved not by the recourse to arms but through peaceful means of negotiation and dialogue.

But the chairman of the Italian bishop's conference and John Paul's vicar for Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, said two days later, "We must not put in doubt the right, I say even the necessity and the right - to combat and neutralize where ever possible, international terrorism and all those, who at whatever level, are its promoters and defenders."

…leading to speculation that the war between the hawks and doves was part of the struggle to decide who would succeed John Paul II.” --- Yahoo News

Cardinal Camillo Ruini could become the next Pope and conscript an army “to combat and neutralize where ever possible, international terrorism and all those, who at whatever level, are its promoters and defenders.”

Wait just a minute, hasn't that been done before?

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  12:32:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
Cardinal Camillo Ruini could become the next Pope and conscript an army “to combat and neutralize where ever possible, international terrorism and all those, who at whatever level, are its promoters and defenders.”

Well.....I don't see that happening any time soon(whew). What are they gonna do fly sorties out of the Vatican Air Force base? It does bother me when religious leaders use language like that.

The kinder, gentler 21st century has been put on hold!!

What's next? At communion you get a wafer with secret mission plans embedded in it? You read the plans then eat the wafer so that it doesn't fall into the wrong hands?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

marvin
Skeptic Friend

77 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  12:50:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send marvin a Private Message
I heard that Pope John Paul II was a major player in the downfall of the Soviet Union through his spy network {ie the Catholic Church}

The Pope may in fact be a cia spook code named ‘big dove'

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  12:58:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:
The Pope may in fact be a cia spook code named ‘big dove'

I was thinking "Funny Hat"...

You know, if you think about it and forget the phallic symbolism for a moment, the Pope looks sort of like a missle.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!
Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  19:49:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
quote:

I understand some things that make faith an attractive alternative to the rigors of reality, but this is just ridiculous. I mean, the needle just snapped off my portable cognitive dissonance meter. I have never seen rationalizing on such a scale before.

Don't you have the home version? Mine is getting really hot nowadays. I'm just glad I have really good ventalation.

@-

Get some sleep, dude. You need it.

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  21:09:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
.....back to that @#$% Falwell jerk......

Here's an interesting petition I came across at another board:

http://www.petitiononline.com/falwell/petition.html

Please feel free to breakdown the doors to sign, as I did!

Go to Top of Page

James
SFN Regular

USA
754 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2001 :  21:19:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send James a Yahoo! Message Send James a Private Message
Thanks, Randy. I know just where to post this that'll really help.

The way I see it, christians are godless too...they just don't know it yet.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.