New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:10:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
3) (LM) Did NASA plan all the well-publicized failures as well? -- Fripp

Too much skill would make suspicious

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:15:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
9) (EX) Then why is water used to extinguish fires? -- Fripp

Because it works, even if it's a mystery: water H2O Hydrogen + Oxygen! Mysterious

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:18:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
4) (LM) So maybe you could explain to me how we should know (again, we are ignoring all the stuff that has been posted) how NASA controls their probes? -- Ricky

It's another mystery

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  10:21:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
Bigbrain:
There is no technology today with which we could go to the moon, to Mars or Saturn.

It comes down to the above. No matter what answers to his questions you provide to him, Bigbrain will not accept them. He will just move the bar if some fact is not convenient to him. Until the window that fell on his head falls on it again, as a “true believer” he will never let go of his fantasy. This is a classic case of cognitive dissonance. He will lie without even knowing he is doing it like he just did with the film of the LLRV (Lunar Landing Research Vehicle).
quote:
Bigbrain:
And here is the link to a quicktime clip showing a fake flight of SLLRV (Steam Lunar Landing Research Vehicle)

He provided absolutely no evidence of fakery. So he lied. But he doesn't see it that way. To him, the truth of his “fake” assertion is obvious. He can't understand why we don't see that.

I'm sure Bigbrain is very high functioning and is probably a nice guy. He is also a nutball…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  11:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Bigbrain:
There is no technology today with which we could go to the moon, to Mars or Saturn.

It comes down to the above. No matter what answers to his questions you provide to him, Bigbrain will not accept them. He will just move the bar if some fact is not convenient to him. Until the window that fell on his head falls on it again, as a “true believer” he will never let go of his fantasy. This is a classic case of cognitive dissonance. He will lie without even knowing he is doing it like he just did with the film of the LLRV (Lunar Landing Research Vehicle).
quote:
Bigbrain:
And here is the link to a quicktime clip showing a fake flight of SLLRV (Steam Lunar Landing Research Vehicle)

He provided absolutely no evidence of fakery. So he lied. But he doesn't see it that way. To him, the truth of his “fake” assertion is obvious. He can't understand why we don't see that.

I'm sure Bigbrain is very high functioning and is probably a nice guy. He is also a nutball…

Yeah, dig it.... He moves those goalposts so quickly, I've lost track.

Still, I'd like to know how the money was laundered, and who exactly ended up with it. But that would only be possible to ascertain if it all really was all a fraud. As bb has yet to come up with even a wild conjecture on the matter, I must assume that he doesn't know much whereof he speaks because as I stated earlier, that's the first thing any compentant investigator would look into.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  11:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
why is water used to extinguish fires? -- Fripp

The "fire tetrahedron" is made up of fuel, oxidizer, heat energy, and the combustion chain reaction itself. Take away one of those and the fire goes out. (Firefighters also talk about the "fire pentahedron" which includes those four elements, plus the presence of a chief officer )

Because water absorbs a great deal of heat energy in raising its temperature up to the boiling point, it takes away the energy needed to sustain combustion. When it turns to steam, it doesn't absorb any more heat, but it expands to 1700 times its liquid volume, which displaces air needed to sustain combustion as well as suppressing the reaction itself. (But can burn firefighters as well as unprotected civilians...)

That's why water, in two forms, is used to suppress fire. In its other form, a solid, it can help a fire by blocking hydrants and hose lines with ice... But anyway, it's worth noting that ordinary fires don't dissociate water into its components hydrogen and oxygen. So there's no mystery at all why water puts out fires even though it has oxygen, any more than it's mysterious that the chlorine (a deadly poison) in salt doesn't kill you.
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
Science has killed poetry

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  12:54:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

Science has killed poetry

Funny you should mention that.

It wasn't really science that killed poetry, it was us.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  13:06:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by filthy

... Still, I'd like to know how the money was laundered, and who exactly ended up with it. But that would only be possible to ascertain if it all really was all a fraud. As bb has yet to come up with even a wild conjecture on the matter, I must assume that he doesn't know much whereof he speaks because as I stated earlier, that's the first thing any compentant investigator would look into.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Filthy

I don't know where the money have gone, but also in my country they vanish.

Instead I know surely this image is fake

http://history.nasa.gov/ap11ann/kippsphotos/5927.jpg

Shadow is too close to horizon and horizon is wrong:
do you know perspective?

If a building in front of you hides horizon, can you know where it is?

Yes, it's at the height of your eyes.

In this picture, where is the true horizon?

Print that image and join the two legs (their feet) on the left with a rectilinear line. Then join the two legs (their feet) on the right with a rectilinear line.

THE TRUE HORIZON IS IN THE INTERSECTION POINT OF THE TWO LINES, ABOVE THE ASTRONAUT'S HELMET.

That image is fake because you should see a larger portion of the moon.

THIS MOON IS ILLUMINATED BY A SPOT LIGHT AND NOT BY THE SUN.

THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE EVIDENCE THAT YOU CAN'T CONFUTE

Edited by - bigbrain on 08/27/2005 23:37:57
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  13:53:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I don't know where the money have gone, but also in my country they vanish.

No one will ever find out where the money has gone if it's not looked for. Unless of course, it was never embezzled in the first place. I find it difficult to believe that hundreds of billions of dollars is all that easy to launder, even over the course of several decades. Where do you stash it before cleaning it up, with more coming in every day?

I'm not all that good with photos, either taking or interpreting them. It looks ok to me -- I'll let others who are comment on it. By the bye, I saw that landing on tv. July '69, if memory serves.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  15:39:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Instead I know surely this image is fake

http://history.nasa.gov/ap11ann/kippsphotos/5927.jpg

Shadow is too close to horizon and horizon is wrong:
Well, the "horizon" seems to be provided by the rim of a depression. I think this map shows what's going on pretty well.
quote:
do you know perspective?

If a building in front of you hides horizon, can you know where it is?

Yes, it's at the eight of your eyes.
Assuming you meant "height," you're wrong if the photo is being taken uphill, which this one seems to be.
quote:
Prove it.
quote:
THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE EVIDENCE THAT YOU CAN'T CONFUTE
All your screaming isn't "evidence," it's just screaming. Your screaming has also been confuted already, many times in many places. That you'd rather believe something else is entirely your problem.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  15:52:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sts60

[b]When it turns to steam, it doesn't absorb any more heat, but it expands to 1700 times its liquid volume

Don't you mean the steam doesn't get any hotter? I'm reading heat==energy here and from boiling to steam we still need to supply the latent heat of vaporisation.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  15:57:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

Ah, so you do admit that IT IS A MOON!!!!

One so far away from our sun they need to bring a spotlight. Mmm. Maybe this photo was taken on one of the moons of Jupiter, which would explain why they had to chop off the horizon--Jupiter was just coming up.

It's all starting make sense now. NASA went to one of Jupiter's moons instead of our own moon, that's where all the money went! You cannot confute this! IT WAS A MOON AND IT WAS NOT OUR MOON!!!!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  16:40:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
It's all starting make sense now. NASA went to one of Jupiter's moons instead of our own moon, that's where all the money went! You cannot confute this! IT WAS A MOON AND IT WAS NOT OUR MOON!!!!

Except, of course, that it was aliens that took the photo (well it must be, since NASA isn't able to).

I was driving home the other day and I saw a little proverb on the side of a van. It made me think of bigbrain, HYBRID and the ilk...

"The mighty oak once started out as a nut that stood its ground".

The above mentioned guys probably see themselves as the oak. Problem is, most nuts never make it past the nut stage.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  16:52:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks
Except, of course, that it was aliens that took the photo (well it must be, since NASA isn't able to).
Well, in all probablity NASA is using alien technology which they keep hidden from us. But the point, really, is that bigbrain is unable to confute me. I'm sure he won't he even try because he secretly knows I'm right.

P.S. My favorite part of this whole discussion so far has been BB admitting that the reason water puts out fires "is a mystery." The apparent contradictions in his reasoning didn't cause him to question his assumptions for even a milisecond.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/27/2005 23:58:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.