Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  14:44:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Like I said, next thread, let's just limit ourselves to asking whether or not there are man-made satellites around.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  15:15:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
The forest is there,
But can't see it for the trees.
Buffoon in orbit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  23:32:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Whilst on my way to church, I happened to come across this. After giving it a little thought, I decided to make a probably futile attempt to raise the level of intellectual discourse in this thread with it.
quote:
Titan's atmosphere is remarkably like Earth's, but even more complex and multilayered, according to results from the European Space Agency's Huygens probe.

The lander also saw signs of lightning and found chemical clues to the source of Titan's methane, which probably bubbles up from deep inside Saturn's giant moon.

Titan is the only satellite in the solar system to have any appreciable atmosphere. It is mainly nitrogen, like Earth's air, but it is 10 times as dense as our terrestrial atmosphere. As a result, the parachute-braked descent of Huygens to the surface in January took a leisurely 2.5 hours, giving it ample time to sample the gases around it.

The atmosphere turns out to be an exotic layer-cake. It has a troposphere and stratosphere, as on Earth, divided by a boundary called a temperature inversion. But much further out – 500 kilometres above the surface and higher – Huygens' Atmospheric Structure Instrument (HASI) detected many more such inversions, each defining their own narrow atmospheric layer.

That is unlike Earth, says Marcello Fulchignoni, head of the HASI team. But it comes as no great surprise, because Titan's atmosphere is so much thicker. Fulchignoni thinks that some of these upper layers may be quite stable and may undulate in great slow waves, driven by Saturn's gravity.

Now, here's the skeptical question: how could the EU's lander enjoy such success and record so many fascinating discoveries if Cassini-Huygens was an hoax?

Or are we to be told that the Europeans are lying buffoons like NASA?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Scotty

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  01:40:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Scotty a Private Message
Judging by the following news story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4482702.stm - it appears that the EAS buffoons are still at it - this time without NASA's help in any way ....

Beautiful picture by the way - small fragile - and adrift in the empty expanse of space ...Pity BB wasn't ... no that's unkind......

"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! We willna be fooled again!" -
T. Prattchett - Wee Free Men
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  02:21:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Hey! Don't try to cut us out of The Conspiracy. We wan't to be part of it to.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  05:13:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

quote:
Hey! Don't try to cut us out of The Conspiracy. We wan't to be part of it to.

Any good conspiricy has room for all. Welcome Sweden, to the Vast Brainbrake Plot to Undermine Exploration!

DOWN WITH THE BUFFOONS!! DOWN WITH THE SOLAR SYSTEM!! ANARCHY NOW!!!! Oh, wait.... that last one's mine. Sorry, b.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

lord_hevonen

30 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  07:04:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lord_hevonen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
Now, here's the skeptical question: how could the EU's lander enjoy such success and record so many fascinating discoveries if Cassini-Huygens was an hoax?

So far bigbrain has been unable to tell us anything about the structure of the conspiracy, how widespread it is and how it works. Usually conspiracy believers have such theories, which makes me suspect that he is trolling.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  08:03:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lord_hevonen

quote:

So far bigbrain has been unable to tell us anything about the structure of the conspiracy, how widespread it is and how it works. Usually conspiracy believers have such theories, which makes me suspect that he is trolling.

Yeh, and indeed, he's the most unusual troll I've seen. But in his defense, he's fun, and to our benefit, he's encouraged some very fine references from us. As it is said, "Every silver lining has a dark cloud."

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  14:13:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message

30 November 2005
Artist's impression of the descent and landing sequence followed by ESA's Huygens probe to Titan.

Only and still artist's impressions.

Never one real image

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Edited by - bigbrain on 12/02/2005 00:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  14:20:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Big Brain.

Yes or No...

Are there man-made satellites in orbit around the earth right now?

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

lord_hevonen

30 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  16:07:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send lord_hevonen a Private Message
Bigbrain, my girlfriend has worked on ESA projects along with her father. Am i safe to live and sleep with her?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  17:09:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

30 November 2005
Artist's impression of the descent and landing sequence followed by ESA's Huygens probe to Titan.

Only and still another artist's impression.

Never a real image

And whom, my dear blatherskite, would be stationed on Titan to capture such images? Stephen Spielburg? The ghost of "Dr. Flash" Edgerton?

Or maybe the Titaniputians should have taken them and sent them back to earth by e-mail.

C'mon bro, you can do better'n that.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  19:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
This isn't exactly the latest news, but it can at least explain something about a certain poster here.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Scotty

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  07:40:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Scotty a Private Message
I really don't suppose there's much point in reminding BB that the Black and white image he posted Is from the surface of Titan , how can you be sure BB , well the telemetry that included the image was sent from the Saturn space -the doppler shift of the signal was IMPOSSIBLE to fake ... OK BB how do you get a signal from Saturn without actually going there ....

"Nac Mac Feegle! The Wee Free Men! Nae king! Nae quin! Nae laird! We willna be fooled again!" -
T. Prattchett - Wee Free Men
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2005 :  12:55:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
Originally posted by Hawks

This isn't exactly the latest news, but it can at least explain something about a certain poster here.

"The Times August 05, 2005

Where rivers run high on cocaine
By Nigel Hawkes
Analysis of waste water in Italy shows a startlingly high level of drug abuse

THE rivers of Italy are flowing with cocaine, say scientists who have adopted a new approach to measuring the extent of drug misuse. The biggest river, the Po, carries the equivalent of about 4kg (8lb 13oz) of the drug a day, with a street value of about £20,000".

Instead of simulating to spend a lot of money going to Saturn,
instead of spending a lot of money to make a wrong war against Iraq, you ought to spend a lot of money to make war against the drug.

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Edited by - bigbrain on 12/02/2005 13:17:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.